• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce Motor

bambambam22

Captain and Woody were telling me that someone has or had Deuce motors new in crate for sale for $400.00 I have searched till I am blue in the face and can not find anything on it. Can someone tell me where to look or if they know who it is or was or if someone has had a few too many cool and frosty beverages.

Thanks
Rick

wsucougarx

No they were not new deuce motors. They were all take outs to be rebuilt. They were all in wooden crates filled with rat nests and God only knows what else. I went down to view them and they were all garbage. They were located in OR.

bambambam22

Oh My God. I had to move an old wheel in the pasture and it had a rats nest in it and I did not see it and stuck my hand in it and I considered cutting my hand off. Tha was the grosest thing I have ever done in my life and it smells like nothing else on this earth. I figured it was something like that to be 400.00 but you never know good deals come by everynow and then. They also told me someone was selling power steering kits for 750.00. That they had way too many and were selling them bot what they paid for a pallet soes anyone have any ninfo on this?

bambambam22

I am interested in the take out motor Gimpyrobb. I have just begun the processs of thinking it might be a good idea to have a spare motor that I can rebuild at my leasure and have setting in the corner ready to go at any time if needed. I have no idea what is involved at the monent but I am starting to find out and finding a motor and how much is where I am starting. I am also thinking about milling the head and putting a copper head gasket and O-Ringing the head and trying to get a little more power out of it. Your thoughts?

Carl_in_NH

I am also thinking about milling the head and putting a copper head gasket and O-Ringing the head and trying to get a little more power out of it. Your thoughts?
Well, you can start modifying things in an effort to make more power - but each and every thing you do will likely reduce reliability. What's a small amount of power worth to you in terms of increasing the potential of some engine related failure?

The engineers that designed this engine did everything they could to balance power against reliability. They had data on thousands of engines and engine failures to analyze as they evolved the design over time, and used this information wisely to improve materials used and make revisions to the design itself. Are we much 'smarter' now then they were? Unlikely. Do we have some better materials now to play with? Sure - but the question becomes, "Do I have the time to play with this for small gains in power with the downside of potential reliability issues"? You'll have to answer this question for yourself. Do you need your truck to run to accomplish a mission - whether that's going to work, mudding, or hauling hay - or is it a toy where there's no real consequence if it is out of service? In my case, I want my truck to run every time I need it - and that's tough enough with a 40 year old truck without monkeying with it, and that's where my particular bias comes from.

I've worked on a lot of machines that date back to pre-WW-II, and am constantly amazed at the stunning design work the engineers did with the materials and equipment they had at their disposal. Given my goal of having a running, working machine I'm not a fan of the idea of modification of an engine that's already running at 22:1 compression - but I suspect you gathered that :)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't mill the head. If anything you need to decrease compression not increase it if you're trying to hop up the engine.

bambambam22

Carl,

I was under the impression that these motors were built on 1950 and 1960 technology and I figured there would be plenty of room for improvement with 2009 technology. For example I have had turbo on many cars and trucks but never had a turbo on anything without an intercooler. But your advice is greatly appreciated and will most defiantly be taken seriously and I would actually appreciate any information on thing that you may know that do or do not work. You sound very knowledgeable on these motors and that can be very helpful if you had the time. Who knows maybe we are not smarter maybe we get lucky but I do know this “Can’t be done” never improved anything. I totally agree about wanting reliability first and performance second. I will never go mudding but I also do not want to have to drop to third gear to go over an overpass. I have a boat with a 570 HP - 509 CU motor that I drive hard and put up wet and have never touched it except to change the oil and fill with gas in 5 years so I do understand reliability. The fact is I don’t have time to mess with something all the time but I will take what ever time it takes to get it there in the first place. But me being me I have to try.

Rick

bambambam22

M16y,

Not really trying to hop it up but trying to get it to run faster than my dog going up a hill. I don't mind driving up the hill with the slow Semi trucks that are loaded but I am bone empty except for fuel and they pass me loaded. There just has to be a way I don't have to drop to third gear going over every overpass. FYI - YES I have changed all three fuel filters just in case anyone was wondering but NO I have not turned the pump up yet. Trying to get a game plan before I just start twisting and turning on things.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it has a turbo, it should be a TAD faster than your dog. Install a pyrometer and add fuel till you get to 1000*. Going uphill you can hit 1200, but I wouldn't go much higher.

Carl_in_NH

I was under the impression that these motors were built on 1950 and 1960 technology and I figured there would be plenty of room for improvement with 2009 technology.
You're right, Rick - there's always room for improvement with new technology, my point was there's a price associated with everything.

Improve the commonly known weak link - like head gaskets - and you'll find the next weak link in line. Increase compression, and you'll start pounding on pistons, rods, rod bearings and main bearings. Leave things alone in that department, and just dump in more fuel and you'll start stressing the top end of the engine and its designed-in ability to remove heat from that area.

These are big old slow turning engines with a lot of mass - and a fairly low redline. There's always something one can do to get a little more power out of them - but when is it enough? Could drop in a modern engine that makes more power - but then, as other people have found out, you start breaking transmission, transfer case, and other driveline parts.

It all depends on what you want to do, and how much work and risk you're going to take on. My point was to remind there's a price associated with everything in life - and performance in a deuce doesn't look like its any different in that regard.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
design amd build 4 valve heads, add intercooler, should make an easy 400 hp and still be reliable. i have too much to do in the next 25 years or i would tackle it.

bambambam22

First let me just go ahead and admit I am a dummy where the deuce motors are concerned shoot I'm a dummy where deuce trucks in total are concerned but it baffles me that a semi truck can climb a hill with a 60,000 lb load and pass me in an empty deuce. I know they have a much larger and more powerful motor but I also watch the monster trucks haul Butt and run jump and climb and some of them use the same axles and I know they are much lighter and once again there motors age deigned to run for maybe 60 minutes before they blow up but there has to be some place in the middle. OR NOT! Now I may just have to admit that is just the way it is and is going to be but I'll also admit that is very hard for me to do. PS my dog is OLD even :) Has anyone ever put an intercooler on a Deuce was it a waist or propane injection? Keeping in mind I DO NOT want to blow it up I just want it to out run my old three legged dog that only has one eye and has asthma and a heart condition and takes anti depressants for her seizures and helps her keep her turrets syndrome under control.
Or are you telling me that it has all been done and I need to quit whining about it and suck it up and settle and just be happy with what I have got and look for the bright side, I will never loose my dog.

Also does anyone sell the Service, Technical, maintenance manuals for the M35A2 – M190A2 – and the M813? I am thinking I want a copy that is not dependant on electricity or the internet or am I just going to have to print them out myself.

I do wnat to thank everyone for your imput and if I happen to ever run accoss anything that help I'll will share but dont hold your breath it sounds like it has all been done -----------maybe:-D

Keith_J

design amd build 4 valve heads, add intercooler, should make an easy 400 hp and still be reliable. i have too much to do in the next 25 years or i would tackle it.

No, breathing isn't an issue. It does just fine as is in flow. The issue is the Hypercycle, it squirts fuel ONTO the piston through a 2-orifice injector nozzle. The pistons have the combustion chamber, a spherical affair. This limits combustion rate so gasoline can be used.

If you were to restrict to diesel, you could machine the pistons to a toroidal combustion chamber and install different nozzles to force a swirl combustion where the injection augments the intake swirl. In the Hypercycle, the fuel is injected orthogonally to the air swirl.

While the HC is pretty low in NOx, going to a pure DI would make a boatload of NOx and might have piston temp issues since evaporating fuel isn't going to cool the piston. Instead, the bowl will now have much higher radiation load.

The easiest way to get a bit more power would be injector nozzle modification.

GoHot229

Well now, theres a guy I know, whos only around on Mondays, but he has an in on US Army Jeeps packed in cosmoline for $500.00 each, the thing is, you have to buy in lots of 15 at a time. Theres alsoHarley Davidsons with sidecar Military models that also are $500 each and sold in lots of 15. There are also 2,000KW portable generators, Military surpluss for $350.00 each in lots of 25 at a time.......................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................
........................................................................NOT.urban ledgends..???? Sure, alot of stories going around mostly a fiew years back of all kinds of increadable buys. There was a company like Rapco or some jeep parts place simmilar in all my searches, who has has a article on their site about the $50 Jeeps in crates from WWII era. Always made for alot of talk, especially if you were 13 or 14 years old, and thought that you had found the secret deal of a lifetime. Now all of those deals come out of the United Kingdom or Nigeria...lol........actually no lol about it, just frigin theives.

Last edited:

bambambam22

Keith_J

First let me say. Those are the answers I was looking for. First I never planned on running Gas anyway..I don't see any advantage in it other than avaliability if the world comes to an end and guess what I wont care then either. I'll have much bigger problems. So now getting back to your message. I have one of the best machinists right down the street with the newest state of the art machinery any man could ask for. So manhining is not a problem but m e understanding your abrivations are, I have no idea what they are:?:
1.Hypercycle=?
2.spherical affair= the top of the piston?
3.toroidal combustion chamber=?
4.different nozzles to force a swirl combustion where the injection augments the intake swirl. In the Hypercycle, the fuel is injected orthogonally to the air swirl= aaaaaaaaaa?
5.HC=
6.NOx=
7.DI=
8.the bowl will now have much higher radiation load= would an inercooler help this?
9.injector nozzle modification= Modifying or changing out if so to what. I was told to put in the 5 ton injectors and turn up the pump.

Now I may have just asked questions that only a 25 year descil mechanic can understand the answers and I hope not. This is why I am looking for another motor that I can improve and then install and if it works then improve he other motor and set it in the corner for future use or if a blow one up I have a spare and not in a bind trying to find one quick.

Thank you very much for y our comments and I think they are going to be very helpful if I can figure out what you are telling me.