• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New GL deuce buyers

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seems to be a bunch of people on here lately that want to buy there first GL truck without doing all their research on the subject. Some think you can take the GL discription of the truck, look at the pictures, buy it, and then drive it home. Alot of times that's not the case. I often wonder how good of a safety inspection someone can do on a GL lot that isn't familiar with a M35 type truck.Also GL is known for there inaccurate discriptions ( although I think they're doing better).
I urge all new buyers to read the GL terms and conditions before even thinking about bidding on a truck.
Then you have the whole EUC/SF 97 fiasco.
I just wish all the new members/ buyers would search this site and the GL site before they jump in over their head.

54reo

Very good points, m16ty.

I've noticed and thought the same things...

Especially the part about driving larger trucks and safety. Not just the deuce and it's new owner, but the general public.

Blythewoodjoe

I suspect from reading some of the post that many of these new guys have never driven anything larger than a pickup, much less a 40 year old army truck that doesn't have break lights until you cut them on. I have bought a dozen trucks surplus now and I have driven one off base and that was the last. I trailer everything. If for no other reason, there is no legal way to do it here. GL doesn't provide, at the time of sale, the propper paper work to drive legal in SC and often you don't get VIN numbers from GL. How would one insure or get a temp. tag for a vehicle in another state they have never seen and don't have the VIN number for. It's very risky and it's just a matter of time before something bad happens.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've said it before, a first-time-buyer would be better off buying from either a dealer or a private individual. I am talking from experience. We were all newbies once. I bought my first three deuces from Joe Young. Joe, then, helped me to get my first M813A1 from the DRMO. He showed me how to inspect, what to look for...a lot of things that a list like this could never provide. The "Joe Young" experience is the single biggest reason I am in this hobby...and I am proud to call Joe a good friend. The knowledge that Joe imparted on me could never have been gotten by buying an auction truck. Yeah, buying an auction truck should save you some money, but you are losing out a lot on the learning part. Reading a manual does not equate to that same thing, nor does subscribing to this list, although each of them help. I am not trying to steer people away from auctions to keep prices down. There are way too many new guys involved to have any impact on that. I just think that it was better for me to have bought my first truck from a reputable dealer like Joe. By the way, I am not suggesting going to a place like Memphis Equipment since their prices are so high. There are quite a few good dealers out there...John Winslow in NC, Jeff Symanski (TACTICALTRUCK on this list) in VA, Idaho Motor Pool, etc. There are also private sellers like Wayne Harris in GA that sell an occasional deuce. Wayne is a heck of a nice guy and his prices are great.

Armada

:ditto: At the very least, get the first one shipped. Then you can take all the time in the world to inspect and learn about it.
I've dealt with Wayne also, x2!

grobinson2

Hummmm

Well guys I am one of the new guys. Now I did read and read on this site as well as the GL site and I went and inspected the truck about three or four times but lets face it I still don't have a clue. Is there anyone in the Letterkenny area that would be willing (for free or a fee) to help me with my first truck? Weather it be meet me at the DRMO or talk to me over the phone. I live about 15 miles away from the DRMO.

Many thanks,
Glenn

Dieselsmoke

RE: Hummmm

I've been saying this for many years. I've been buying and selling trucks for about 17 years now. I've seen a lot of stuff go wrong with trucks. I bought an M52A2 at Ft. Carson CO. I had inspected it for about an hour, but overlooked the fact that there were only the bottom bolts holding the transmission onto the bellhousing. Truck was running along the road fine, grabbed 3rd gear and bam all of a sudden the gear shift is all the way over to the driver side damn near busted my leg. The few bolts that were holding the trans sheared right off and the tranny twisted. The short shaft between the trans and transfer shot out from under the truck, nearly hitting a car making it swerve and almost hit another car. Never drove a truck home from a base after that, wasn't worth the risk.

JeepMan

Re: RE: Hummmm

Dieselsmoke said:
I've been saying this for many years. I've been buying and selling trucks for about 17 years now. I've seen a lot of stuff go wrong with trucks. I bought an M52A2 at Ft. Carson CO. I had inspected it for about an hour, but overlooked the fact that there were only the bottom bolts holding the transmission onto the bellhousing. Truck was running along the road fine, grabbed 3rd gear and bam all of a sudden the gear shift is all the way over to the driver side dang near busted my leg. The few bolts that were holding the trans sheared right off and the tranny twisted. The short shaft between the trans and transfer shot out from under the truck, nearly hitting a car making it swerve and almost hit another car. Never drove a truck home from a base after that, wasn't worth the risk.
Yeah, but was'nt that more of an exception than a rule. It sounds like someone knew the truck was heading for disposal, was tasked to put in a new engine, or just an overlook or whatever.
I would think no matter what, make sure the brakes work!!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not a secret in a unit when trucks are heading out to DRMO... Once the word comes down that XYZ truck is getting turned in, it get stripped of anything and everything thats usable on other trucks, restock spare parts bins, etc... No one gives any thought to "well, maybe one day someone else is going to drive this truck, so perhaps I shouldnt remove the airpack" or whatever.......

FreightTrain

Banned
So far,The trucks we have bought haven't been stripped in any way.Sure the tools are gone but that is it.Wrecker has gotten 2 trucks so far that had a full OVM box though.Slave cables to pliers.Just sold one truck that had a new engine,trans,Transfer,rebuilt axles,new radiator,etc.My truck there was nothing missing.Only thing I have had to fix was one flat tire,turn signal switch,Batteries,and oil.Drove the truck home 450 miles.Even had half a tank of diesel fuel.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my first truck from an indvidual and then jumped into buying from GL. Ididn't jump right into buying trucks though. I bought some smaller items first to get the whole GL prosess down pat before I bought a big ticket item.
Last time I was at the GL lot picking up my deuce the lot was full of people trying to pick up trucks (drive them home) that didn't have a clue. There was a couple of people that I tried to help that didn't come with anything but the clothes on their backs.
There just seems to be alot of people on here lately that are asking very basic questions ( most of which could be answered by looking around the site a little) and are ready to throw down a bid on a truck in the next auction. I'm not trying to put anybody down. I was a newbie not that long ago but I've read old and new post till I was blue in the face to try an learn as much as I can.
I usually don't have time with my work to go check a truck out before the auction but I don't bid so high as to get hurt either way. If it turns out to be a good truck I got a deal. If it turns out to be pile of parts I sill did ok. I ALWAYS haul my trucks home. Partly because I have tractor-trailer rig that I can haul on but mostly because alot can go wrong with a 30+ year old truck that I know next to nothing about. Even in a short distance.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've also looked at trucks in person that had problems that went way higher than good trucks at the same sale. Makes me think that whoever was bidding didn't know what they were getting into. Rust is hard to spot on pics and I've seen them that were rusted through everywhere but you couldn't tell from the pics.

jim-m35a2

m16ty said:
There seems to be a bunch of people on here lately that want to buy there first GL truck without doing all their research on the subject. Some think you can take the GL discription of the truck, look at the pictures, buy it, and then drive it home. Alot of times that's not the case. I often wonder how good of a safety inspection someone can do on a GL lot that isn't familiar with a M35 type truck.Also GL is known for there inaccurate discriptions ( although I think they're doing better).
I urge all new buyers to read the GL terms and conditions before even thinking about bidding on a truck.
I just wish all the new members/ buyers would search this site and the GL site before they jump in over their head.
Not all new buyers watch a video on You Yube and run out a buy a Deuce. I for one lurked out here and read many post and manuals. I researched prices and looked at other sellers prices. What the big boys wanted for their Deuces were too high for my budget. I set a price limit, with options, and bid on GL. I won one within in my means. I loaded up the car with all the required parts and fluids and drove down and checked it out after the EUC cleared. I checked it out and drove it home without any problems.

Thanks to all of you I was able to do my homework and get the job done right. You guys were a great help. Now that I have a good runner, I would probably toe the next one home.

Jim
________
VERMONT MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited:

EdMontana

m16ty said:
Your last paragraph about EUC/SF97 sum up everything...going to 4 months in two weeks waiting on my SF97's, this is getting ridiculously stupid to wait 1/3 of an year for a paper work that should come with the paid receipt from the beginning anyway

GL, you should STOP selling until you catch up with paper work!! OR only get paid when you have the home work done! :evil:

my69camaro

RE: Re: New GL deuce buyers

Hhmm... I'm a newbie... Researched for a month or so... Decided most people wanted more than I was willing to pay... Hoped on GL and won a truck 600mi away... I consider myself mechanically abled so I felt fine in driving it back.. Just made sure the fluids were topped off and the brakes worked.. I paid around 1/4 to 1/3 the price that everyone else seemed to ask for..

I actually just won another deuce 300mi away and plan to drive it back after my paper work clears..

Only problem I have with GL is that to many people know about it... haha

But yeah, if the only truck you've ever driven is a S10 maybe you shouldn't plan on driving a deuce home..

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: New GL deuce buyers

I don't think many military truck owners discover this site until after they buy their trucks. The M35A2 seems to be the most plentiful/available military truck on GL right now. It's the "chicken and the egg" thing.

People know enough that if they want a "surplus vehicle," then they do a search. They dicover GL and bid. If you've done any kind of on-line bidding, then it's not that hard. Then all of the sudden, there's a truck in the familly. Time to do some more on-line searching for, "what to do now?" answers. Then along comes "private ____," asking, "How do I go about ___________?."

Unless there is a way to inform the military truck buyer to check out Steel Soldiers first, you're going to have exactly what is descibed above

All we can do is be here for these folks. It's the nature of the beast.

2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[quote="jim-m35a2
Not all new buyers watch a video on You Yube and run out a buy a Deuce. I for one lurked out here and read many post and manuals. I researched prices and looked at other sellers prices. What the big boys wanted for their Deuces were too high for my budget. I set a price limit, with options, and bid on GL. I won one within in my means. I loaded up the car with all the required parts and fluids and drove down and checked it out after the EUC cleared. I checked it out and drove it home without any problems.

Thanks to all of you I was able to do my homework and get the job done right. You guys were a great help. Now that I have a good runner, I would probably toe the next one home.

Jim[/quote]
Jim, I wasn't directing my post at people like you and 69camaro.

my69camaro

Oh no... I agree... Some people may be getting themselves into more than they can handle... If you live in town, in an apartment, and drive a beatle maybe a M35 is not for you.. lol

I'm just saying my experience was good with GL, but yeah the are a little slow with paper work...

EdMontana

my69camaro said:
Oh no... I agree... Some people may be getting themselves into more than they can handle... If you live in town, in an apartment, and drive a beatle maybe a M35 is not for you.. lol

I'm just saying my experience was good with GL, but yeah the are a little slow with paper work...
Yes, I had zero problems with GL, everything went super smooth untill the SF97 deal....

Have you got your SF97 yet?? you will change your mind about your experience......