• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New good quality block heater?

tbar123

I'm looking around for a block heater since the either assist only works down to about 10. So I searched google for block heater and 90%of the results I get something I wasn't looking for. So what is a good newer/older style good block heater.Thanks for any and all help!

P.S. What is a magnetic block heater?

tbar123

Right, I have seen these threads, but I haven't noticed a specific heater that was in wide spread use or widely suggested by members . I was also looking for one on the lower side that might perform well for a year or so,until I get fully back on my feet!

lindsey97

Which motor do you have? Search for 855 cid cummins block heater on fleabay for an A1 truck, or cummins 8.3 block heater for an A2 truck. look at the top of this page for the google search function of this site only, that should narrow it down.

older non turbo cummins 855 cid: part # 8601046 Zerostart

newer 8.3l cummins : NAPA part # ZBL8601860

Last edited:

plode

Which motor do you have? Search for 855 cid cummins block heater on fleabay for an A1 truck, or cummins 8.3 block heater for an A2 truck. look at the top of this page for the google search function of this site only, that should narrow it down.

older non turbo cummins 855 cid: part # 8601046 Zerostart

newer 8.3l cummins : NAPA part # ZBL8601860
I just searched for that number on Napa's website(the 8.3L number), including interchange and came up with no results. Sure it's the right number?

74M35A2

I just clicked the hyperlink in the article I wrote, which is referenced above, and it still works and takes you to the NAPA website and displays the part, price, pic, etc....for the 8.3L. I do this because in typing and restyling part numbers, errors can occur. The article I authored includes install pics, so it is all there.

74M35A2

I'm looking around for a block heater since the either assist only works down to about 10. So I searched google for block heater and 90%of the results I get something I wasn't looking for. So what is a good newer/older style good block heater.Thanks for any and all help!

P.S. What is a magnetic block heater?
Where is this 10 degree ether limit coming from? The factory ether system started my 8.3 at -18F ambient temp January 2014 with no external heaters applied.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is this 10 degree ether limit coming from? The factory ether system started my 8.3 at -18F ambient temp January 2014 with no external heaters applied.
Yeah I could swear I started mine in the - temps before, I just tried today -6 she doesn't want to start at all :)
Well doooh after probably using half my bottle it finally dawned on me that this truck my 923A2 has the fuel cutoff lever on the fuel pump that catches on the cable quite regularly......Started right up after the usual 3 shots of ether at -6

Last edited:

74M35A2

OP is looking for a block heater to aid in cold starting. I don't think an oil pan heater will do it? From a principle standpoint, it should heat the oil pan and the oil within it, only. The only way that heat could heat the engine block or coolant would be if that heat could travel from the oil pan to the block through the oil pan gasket, oil pan bolts and oil pump pickup tube?

I'm not sure an oil pan heater alone would effectively help a cold start. It should help cold cranking speed by warming the oil though, which could help a cold start?

I've often wondered this, so felt it was a good time to pose the question? Anybody had measurable success using an oil pan heater? I have installed a stainless steel thread-in type into the oil pan of my 925A2 (8.3), as there is a pan port to do so, but I have yet to determine its effectiveness.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They work and I have used them on trucks and my backhoe. I suggested the 200W because the 300W is what melted on the bottom of both my vehicles.

Heating the oil pan works just fine and especially in this area.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go to Amazon and look the KATS heaters up you will see a two outlet thermostat controlled switch for "farm" use. I have one and it turns the outlets on at 40deg F and stays on until it gets above 40.

That being said I wouldn't ever get one of the mag heaters greater than the 200W because of what happened with the 300s.

Since everything is inside I'll use the quartz heaters sitting on the floor.

tbar123

Yeah I could swear I started mine in the - temps before, I just tried today -6 she doesn't want to start at all :)
Well doooh after probably using half my bottle it finally dawned on me that this truck my 923A2 has the fuel cutoff lever on the fuel pump that catches on the cable quite regularly......Started right up after the usual 3 shots of ether at -6
I have tried to start my M923 yesterday at -4(I think it was) no go. I also tried at 10-15 and it just barely started.But I will say that I think if I put a battery tender on it I would have better success.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have tried to start my M923 yesterday at -4(I think it was) no go. I also tried at 10-15 and it just barely started.But I will say that I think if I put a battery tender on it I would have better success.
Probably help to have an M1009 and a slave cable laying around too....., haven't tried the M923, Probably won't start. Much harder to start than any of my A2's though my wrecker took forever and my M35A3 had to be jumped too.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OP is looking for a block heater to aid in cold starting. I don't think an oil pan heater will do it? From a principle standpoint, it should heat the oil pan and the oil within it, only. The only way that heat could heat the engine block or coolant would be if that heat could travel from the oil pan to the block through the oil pan gasket, oil pan bolts and oil pump pickup tube?

I'm not sure an oil pan heater alone would effectively help a cold start. It should help cold cranking speed by warming the oil though, which could help a cold start?

I've often wondered this, so felt it was a good time to pose the question? Anybody had measurable success using an oil pan heater? I have installed a stainless steel thread-in type into the oil pan of my 925A2 (8.3), as there is a pan port to do so, but I have yet to determine its effectiveness.
We been using magnetic heaters on our backhoe and loaders for close to 20 years without any issues . They work good on diesel and hydraulic tanks as well , the machines like warm hydraulic oil . With the magnetic heater you can also put them on the water jacked of the block.

swbradley1 is the only one I've seen have issues them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks