• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Goodyear Wrangler MTs appear to be available again

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires on my HMMWV were put on by the previous owner, prior to when I bought it last August. These were NOS with DOT dates from 2006-2011. Well one of the tires is starting to show some minor cracking in the sidewall, and other is showing MUCH larger cracking in the sidewall.

I started looking for replacement tires. Everywhere I looked (except for tirerack, which has Wrangler Enforcer MTs) was NOS. I don't want to deal with NOS tires for too much cost and not enough life.

I called the local Discount Tire, and they in turned called Goodyear. Turns out that a nationwide back order on Goodyear Wrangler MTs was just lifted. Through their commercial tire account, they were able to get the military division to agree to sell me 4 tires. $600 + $75 shipping (per tire $2700). They'll come directly from Goodyear to the tire dealer, I'll pick them up and have to mount them myself. (Discount Tire, nor anyone else I can find around here, will touch 2-piece rims.)

(These are load range D tires BTW.)

I looked for the Baja's, but only ones I could find were NOS. The Enforcers look like a better tire but are a LOT more expensive, and don't have the same military look to them. I'll follow up on this once the tires arrive as to the DOT dates on them. (I'm expecting tires within 2 years of now, I'm hoping they're within a couple months.) I'm slightly worried Goodyear has a warehouse of tires and is just going to yank 4 of the oldest for me, and I'm back to NOS -- we'll see.

EDIT: Clarified price was per tire

Last edited:

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like they finally got that big government contract filled, now they are free to sell them again.
Yes, that is what it sounded like when talking to the guy who called Goodyear. A month ago they wouldn't have even attempted to get permission sell them to me, but beginning of September the back order was lifted and they will sell them on a case-by-case basis.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't ask. I wanted Goodyear Wrangler MTs _or_ if I couldn't get them, I'd have tried to get the Enforcers MTs.
I’m confused now… you have a pic of what you did get? I found the Mt Enforcers and I thought that’s what you got.

blutow

Mac motors has had the goodyear enforcer MT's in stock. These are new, not NOS. It's the only place I could find them when I was looking back in Feb. of this year. Under $2k for 4 delivered to a local freight terminal. No tax. They list them for $500 each, but they gave me a little discount to cover the shipping and bring it in under $2k.

The only downside (for some) is that they are "E" rated tires. A little rougher ride than a D rated tire? Maybe, but I am using the stock run flats and my truck is a 1123, so I really don't think a D rated tire would have made much difference in the grand scheme. The E tires would allow me carry the full rated load if I ever needed to. I probably will never be hauling that kind of weight, but I still like that it's the "right" tire rating for the truck.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the Enforcer MT that is a much much better price then Tirerack or similar. But I wanted to try to stick with the MTs. We'll see if I come to regret it when they show up, and in a year from now. :)

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires on my HMMWV were put on by the previous owner, prior to when I bought it last August. These were NOS with DOT dates from 2006-2011. Well one of the tires is starting to show some minor cracking in the sidewall, and other is showing MUCH larger cracking in the sidewall.

I started looking for replacement tires. Everywhere I looked (except for tirerack, which has Wrangler Enforcer MTs) was NOS. I don't want to deal with NOS tires for too much cost and not enough life.

I called the local Discount Tire, and they in turned called Goodyear. Turns out that a nationwide back order on Goodyear Wrangler MTs was just lifted. Through their commercial tire account, they were able to get the military division to agree to sell me 4 tires. $600 + $75 shipping (per tire $2700). They'll come directly from Goodyear to the tire dealer, I'll pick them up and have to mount them myself. (Discount Tire, nor anyone else I can find around here, will touch 2-piece rims.)

(These are load range D tires BTW.)

I looked for the Baja's, but only ones I could find were NOS. The Enforcers look like a better tire but are a LOT more expensive, and don't have the same military look to them. I'll follow up on this once the tires arrive as to the DOT dates on them. (I'm expecting tires within 2 years of now, I'm hoping they're within a couple months.) I'm slightly worried Goodyear has a warehouse of tires and is just going to yank 4 of the oldest for me, and I'm back to NOS -- we'll see.

EDIT: Clarified price was per tire
Are Humvee owners able to find shops that can install the replacement tires? I just went to my tire place that I've always dealt with and they told me they wouldn't be able to help if the vehicle still had the automatic tire inflation system or if the tire was in half sizes. I've seen videos of people doing the tire replacement on their own by rolling another car over the tire to break the bead seal to separate tire from wheel. My vehicle hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell if I'm going to need tires on it.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are Humvee owners able to find shops that can install the replacement tires? I just went to my tire place that I've always dealt with and they told me they wouldn't be able to help if the vehicle still had the automatic tire inflation system or if the tire was in half sizes. I've seen videos of people doing the tire replacement on their own by rolling another car over the tire to break the bead seal to separate tire from wheel. My vehicle hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell if I'm going to need tires on it.
ANY commercial tire shop can do two piece wheels. They aren’t rocket science

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can even do them yourself they simply bolt together, I have never tried to get a tire shop to do one, I suspect because they have likely never done one getting a local shop to do it would be difficult, "two piece rim" usually raises red flags, your truck will likely need tires as most are very old and unsafe even if they look good.

Last edited:

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That wasn't my experience. I called around to several commercial truck tire places, they wont touch it. It's an issue with both the split rims and the runflats.
That's the impression I got. In a round about way I was told if I got some aftermarket rims that could help open up my options on finding a shop that could help.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locally, I have been unable to find a tire shop willing to work on these. I'd happily pay someone, but nobody (in their words) "is authorized to" or "wants to take the liability" of military/2-piece rims. My plan is simply to follow what the service manual says. More or less:

Remove the schrader valve (let out all the air)

Unbolt the two halfs of the rim

Remove the old gasket

Remove the old tire

Install the new tire (putting the dots in the right place, based on the TM)

Install the new gasket (this is really the only part that worries me)

Use NEW nuts to bolt together the rim

Reinstall schrader value

Air up the tire (and hope the balance is "ok")

None of this sounds like rocket science to me, but it's going to be dirty and time consuming... but from a safety perspective, I HAVE to do it no choice.

Autonomy_Lost

Locally, I have been unable to find a tire shop willing to work on these. I'd happily pay someone, but nobody (in their words) "is authorized to" or "wants to take the liability" of military/2-piece rims. My plan is simply to follow what the service manual says. More or less:

Remove the schrader valve (let out all the air)

Unbolt the two halfs of the rim

Remove the old gasket

Remove the old tire

Install the new tire (putting the dots in the right place, based on the TM)

Install the new gasket (this is really the only part that worries me)

Use NEW nuts to bolt together the rim

Reinstall schrader value

Air up the tire (and hope the balance is "ok")

None of this sounds like rocket science to me, but it's going to be dirty and time consuming... but from a safety perspective, I HAVE to do it no choice.
Don't forget the runflat if you choose to keep them installed. Swapping them from one tire to another seems to be a chore. Also, I would NOT expect the balance to just be okay. Every balanced military wheel I've seen has a HUGE amount of weights on it.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find yourself a "4 WHEEL drive shop" that works on JEEPs . Off road stuff. They can help you out. A regular tire shop hears" two piece rim" and they turn white! Goes back to old style truck rims that used to kill people quite regularly. You can do these yourself but I would not recommend it with out an air compressor and an air "wrench". Takes me all day to do four, Work, break, work, break, nap. work .... you get the idea. But I'm old and should know better. My two cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks