• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Goodyear Wrangler MTs appear to be available again

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have NO IDEA how to get the PVC beadlocks into the tires. The youtube video I found showed the guy standing on the inner tire, lifting up and then sliding the PVC in and rotating it into place.

I am NOT heavy enough or strong enough to do that. between beads of the tires is only about 4-6 inches.. no where near enough, and with me lifting I can bring it only up maybe an inch.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to do this?
Are you using a lubricant (soapy water)?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you using a lubricant (soapy water)?
I'm using tire soap (from a large bucket). The problem is that I'm unable to lift on the tire bead.

Tire on the ground, I stand on the tire bead (against the ground) and the bead doesn't even move.. I lift up on the sides and can MAYBE lift the top bead 1/2". The youtube video shows the guy with a Super Swamper tire do the same thing and he just lifts it up and expands the opening by 6 inches.. Then the PVC insert goes in, wrestles it sideways and slights the place for the air fill. I'm stuck on the VERY first bit.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm using tire soap (from a large bucket). The problem is that I'm unable to lift on the tire bead.

Tire on the ground, I stand on the tire bead (against the ground) and the bead doesn't even move.. I lift up on the sides and can MAYBE lift the top bead 1/2". The youtube video shows the guy with a Super Swamper tire do the same thing and he just lifts it up and expands the opening by 6 inches.. Then the PVC insert goes in, wrestles it sideways and slights the place for the air fill. I'm stuck on the VERY first bit.
Any chance that you have an engine hoist?
Or maybe a come-along and a tree limb?

A flat heavy piece of metal that can be hung from a chain with maybe an eyebolt in the center to lift the tire...
OR two friends who could lift the tire while you hustle the bead lock in place?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance that you have an engine hoist?
Or maybe a come-along and a tree limb?

A flat heavy piece of metal that can be hung from a chain with maybe an eyebolt in the center to lift the tire...
OR two friends who could lift the tire while you hustle the bead lock in place?
ya I suspect that is what it will take.

B7C28A30-3E1F-446B-88E0-B4EE4EA19053.jpeg07CB6351-3A49-46D2-BC7A-E930C53A7CDB.jpeg
Need to inset a 7” chunk of plastic into a 3” hole

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best I can remember I stood the tire up and forced the bead lock into it, the wife helped stabilize the tire and I may have used some spoons to help, then layed it down and worked into the center, we are both in out mid 60s and "got her done"
EDIT, put them in the sun for a few hours...

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best I can remember I stood the tire up and forced the bead lock into it, the wife helped stabilize the tire and I may have used some spoons to help, then layed it down and worked into the center, we are both in out mid 60s and "got her done"
EDIT, put them in the sun for a few hours...
Going to put them in the sun in the morning, hopefully they'll loosen up over the day.

I do have a small Kubota BX26 series tractor with a bucket.. so with someone else I can push down in the tred of the tire while they pull the bead apart. That MIGHT let me get the PVC in (along with the tire being warmer...)

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the inside dimension of the pvc? I found a 6’ long joint that was like 15 1/2” inside if I remember correctly. I like the stand it up idea that Mogman suggested.
I bought it pre-made. 7" side to side, and it fits over the 16 1/2" rim...

My current plan is to try to find a helper.. then use the compact utility tractor to push down on the tred (with the tire on it's end). I tried this by myself and the bead didn't move apart, but I think with a helper to push/pull the bead it might just work.

blutow

I didn't do the pvc inserts, but I used a couple ratcheting load straps between 2 trees to pull the beads apart when re-inserting the stock run flats. The tire will be standing upright rather than it's side, so I'm not sure how well that will work for the pvc inserts, but it made reinstalling the stock runflats pretty easy. I think it would work on the inserts also, just spread the beads at the bottom, shove the insert in sideways, rotate it, then release the straps. Maybe something to try if the tractor doesn't work.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HAHAHA I found this one on YouTube. Definitely a 'different' way to do it.

"YEET!" PVC beadlock install

Had to share it cause I got a hell of a laugh from this. I may try something similar though, lube up the PVC insert and bead.. then _SET_ the tire on top and push down..

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HAHAHA I found this one on YouTube. Definitely a 'different' way to do it.

"YEET!" PVC beadlock install

Had to share it cause I got a hell of a laugh from this. I may try something similar though, lube up the PVC insert and bead.. then _SET_ the tire on top and push down..
Yep that was about what I was talking about but with much less trauma to my feet, also never use a petroleum product on a tire, there is REAL rubber in that tire, the heavier duty tire the more real rubber (petroleum products break down real rubber) , get some Murphy's tire soap. it is what the pros use.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"How to do this" (12-bolt rims w/ the alignment hole)

1. Put the tires in the sun and let them bake so they are more pliable.

2. Take the tire and figure out which side you want the outside to be. If it's NOT the side with the paint marking, then find the side with the paint and transfer the white dot to the other side.

3. Take the outer rim section, align the 'extra' hole with the white dot, mark where the air valve goes. (You will need this to align the hole on the PVC insert!)

4. Get your tire soap, soap up the outside and edges of the PVC insert. Soap the bead front, side, inside.

5. Set the PVC insert down on the ground on it's side (I suggest a towel or blanket due to the tire soap). Pick up the tire and either 'drop it' or set it on the PVC insert. Now the tricky bit, crawl onto the tire, balance carefully and BOUNCE until the PVC insert is aligned in the middle of the tire.

6. set the tire up on it's side, and spin the PVC insert into place. You need to align the hole with where you aligned the air valve! You may need to push the PVC insert into the tire, grab it and try to rotate it.

7. Center the PVC insert into the bead/tire. (This may be harder then it sounds, but a combination of small pry bar/tire spoon and your foot should be able to do it.)

.... now just follow the instructions from the TM on mounting it to the rim. I would suggest getting 12 - 1/2-20 grade 8 nuts along with a grade 8 1/2" washers. Use those the first time to seat everything down (and torque to spec.). Then you can air it up, verify it's not leaking. Assuming it's not leaking pull the schrader valve, remove ALL of the air.. and then swap the regular nut/washer one at a time for the proper lock-nut. (Follow the torque pattern.)

But I was able to get all 4 PVC inserts in place, and the one wheel installed with the temporary (not) lock nuts. I'll swap to the lock nuts tomorrow after I verify it's not leaking air.

Took me about 10-15 minutes per tire to install the PVC inserts using this method. (Took an hour, w/o an air tool, to torque down the wheel without lock nuts.)

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
congrats on the progress, nice write up. Extra props for doing 5 tires without an impact wrench.
lol I'm only going to do 4.. I think the 5th would kill me. :)

We'll see if I can get this done by the weekend. Figure I can only handle one or two wheels a day (after work).

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
lol I'm only going to do 4.. I think the 5th would kill me. :)

We'll see if I can get this done by the weekend. Figure I can only handle one or two wheels a day (after work).
Definitely a nice writeup!
Guess the warm sunshine helped?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely a nice writeup!
Guess the warm sunshine helped?
Thanks.

Combination of the sunshine and setting the tire on top of the PVC insert. The first two went much easier then the last two (as the sun set and the tires got colder.)

I will tell you disassembling, cleaning, painting, reassembling.. all without air-tools. It is one hell of a workout... I've got two wheels assembled, two to go... I can only manage about one an evening.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not an update, update. Still waiting on the call the tires have arrived. Guessing I won't get them until next week. HURRY UP! rofl

I did get the PVC inner beadlocks from Wigspliiter, so far they're exactly what I was expecting and should be good to keep the bead in a low pressure situation since I don't plan to run the runflats...
Who is wigspliter and where can you find the pvc inserts? I tried to search here and google

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who is wigspliter and where can you find the pvc inserts? I tried to search here and google
Easy search, but they seem to have gone up since I first looked...

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy search, but they seem to have gone up since I first looked...
I didn’t add the pro on it when I searched it. That’s expensive…. I would like to have my run flats shaved down. I’m working on getting a set of Baja ta’s and some 24 bolt wheels and I don’t really want to put the run flats in but I do want something to keep them on the bead

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks