• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from mn with m35a2

nadeau191

I just started a new job and one of our pieces of equipment for the fire department here is a 1970 m35a2. What I was told from the previous mechanic is that the master cylinder is shot. I am a mechanic but I just cant seem to figure out how to add brake fluid to it. And from what he had said is that our local parts stores can't get parts but I've got some hook ups and ways around our purchasing system to buy parts from where ever I need to so I can fix it. So where I'm getting at is can some one point me in the right direction on how to add fluid and then how to remove and diagnose the master cylinder to either replace or rebuild. And also what do I need to know about the air pack. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello and welcome.

Lets back off from your information/question dump and take things one step at a time.

The brake master cylinder is located in a most "convenient" spot below the driver's feet. There is a trap door on the floor that you'll open up. You'll then see the top of the master cylinder, with possibly a hard copper line (vent line) coming out of the top. Take off the vent line, then take off the master cylinder cap. This is where you fill it. Military specification is to use DOT 5 (silicon) brake fluid. Don't mix it with DOT 3. DO NOT! Some folks do a complete alcohol flush of the system and change fluids. I recommend knowing for sure what you have in there before adding to it.

Also, like everyone else, I highly recommend adding a remote reservoir for easier fluid level monitoring. Something like the following:
http://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/pro...-reservoir-kit

See the massive list of Deuce Technical Manuals (TMs):
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77607-TM-s-for-the-Deuce

I opened TM9-2320-209-34-2-1 Maintenance Direct Support and General Support M35 Multifuel 1 of 3, and on Chapter 12 section III was a lot of diagrams of the master cylinder and air pack pulled apart.

Also, just searching this forum. See the search field in the top right below "logout"? I typed "deuce air pack rebuild". First result was this amazing thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?82753-MY-Airpack-Rebuild-with-Photos!

Sorry, I don't know about diagnosing the master cylinder. Try your hand at searching for it. ;)

Post your progress and rebuild/fixes in the Deuce forum. With lots of pictures. We love pictures.

Last edited:

nadeau191

Ok awesome thanks for the input. I wasnt sure if that line on top of cap was a vent or what it was. And I had tried searching but I've been looking at so many different sites I was just lost at what I wanted to even search up. So thank you again for the help. This will get me started in the right direction that I need.

tcruwithme

Welcome from a fellow MN resident. I live in Eagan (SW Minneapolis/St. Paul metro), but I have a cabin up near Grygla (40 miles SE of Roseau).

fasttruck

Read the reading. The biggest secret in the United States Army is it's publication system. Brake work is not a good place for ameteur hour. If it doesn't work that is a bad thing.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Complete NOS replacement deuce master cylinders are available from several people here on steelsoldiers for under $75, shipped. The major vendors have rebuild kits. The hardest part of doing work on the master cylinder is removing and re-installing the two frame side bolts that hold it in place. What I have found best is to use a 9/16 deep socket attached to a six inch extension, which is attached to a universal joint. Add another six inch extension and your ratchet handle to the back of that, then thread the whole thing in the frame hole behind the M/C to get at those bolts. 3/8 drive seems to work just fine.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. You are lucky, you have John Bizal at Midwest military local. he might be able to help if you have any issues as well.

nadeau191

Update. I found brake fluid and blead the brakes. They blead out nicely. But after sits for a but go to drive it and they are spongy but come back after a couple pumps. Been to busy to dig any deeper than just bleeding. So guessing the master cylinder or something is leaking somewhere that I can't see.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a scavenger hunt on the braking system sometimes. I have replaced the master just to find out the strong new master blew out a wheel cylinder. You need to make a cheap bleeder and start with MC then air pack, then wheel cylinders. I just went to Ace hardware and bought the one gal. cheap bug sprayer. All you have to do is remove the spray cap on the end of the wand and it will thread into the master cylinder cap no problem.

dmetalmiki

Welcome from the U.K. Is the truck you have the department a 530C?. (and yes the master cylinder is Hidden under the little trap door toward the rear of the cab near the seat mounting. (drivers side)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks