• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Here M1031

scarryy

Hi All,
Just bought an M1031 with service box, genset and compressor. Will bring her home next weekend. At this point am thinking of either selling the box, genset and compressor, or putting them on my civi K2500. How hard would it be to make this swap and set up the PTO and governor setup on a civi truck (6.2, SM465)?
My plan is to put a pickup box on the 1031 and make it my hunting/boonie bashing/firewood hauling truck and use the civi for snow plowing and working around the homestead.
Also, I looked thru a few TMs and cannot find: does the 1031 have trac-lock front diff?
Thanks all, this is a great site and I look forward to learning a lot from you,
Scarry

scarryy

Hey Sebaeb,
thanks for the reply, I see you have a 1031 as well. Found your thread about picking it up. Did you sell the box, genset and compressor? Would be interested to know what the market is like for these items and how big a job it is to remove...

Terracoma

Would be interested to know what the market is like for these items...
Put me first in line for the complete box (with generator and compressor) if you decide to remove them.

Is this the truck that got auctioned through Fort Carson, or did you buy it through a private sale?

sebaeb

No i think im gonna keep my box on....if your box is in good condition and complete...should be able to get 600-700 for it.....scrapping it alone should fetch 400-500 depending on market prices....im sure someone will chime in and say im way off base!!

Keith_J

These are by far the most useful CUCV. The 12 kW Lima MAC generator is itself, bulletproof. The Barber-Coleman governor with the Woodward overspeed protection system and Barber Coleman ramp generator has a problem with implementation. But it works well, if all the interlock switches are working fine.

It took me a day to figure it out, the manual for the governor has been listed here under M1031 SECM so do a search.

12kW is a good bit of power for only a 200 pound payload. Sure, it is only a 2 Hp compressor but that is 2 Hp of three phase, any single phase compressor of 2 Hp will be significantly less in capacity.

Another reason to keep it stock is the very few numbers of these built. A company might have 4 1009s, 5 1008s or 1028s. But only one 1031 SECM.

scarryy

Thanks all, I have a lot to learn and I look forward to the fun! My main concern with the Gen and compressor is the space they take up, but I think I will wait to decide until I actually get the truck and live with it a while. I certainly can see the benefit to a mobile genset that could run a small house, and I'm guessing that as a twin cylinder the compressor is better than my Lowes special I have in the garage...
Anyone have any thoghts on how hard it would be to set up the PTO and governor if I transfer the whole shebang to my civi truck?

skark_burmer

There was a member selling a updated gov control system for the 1031 that was pretty slick, all electronic. I'd suggest flex the searching Kung fu and see if you can dig it up. Was about a year back. I'm not at home or I would take a look for ya, sorry.
Anyways, slap the gov system to the civi truck, get a transfer case with a PTO and you are set.

A pretty big job though, certainly not a weekend project.

scarryy

Ha Ha Jeff,
Funny to hear from you here, it is your truck that I'm coming to get next weekend! :razz: Also glad to hear that i'm not TOO crazy for thinking about this swap...

Keith_J

Thanks all, I have a lot to learn and I look forward to the fun! My main concern with the Gen and compressor is the space they take up, but I think I will wait to decide until I actually get the truck and live with it a while. I certainly can see the benefit to a mobile genset that could run a small house, and I'm guessing that as a twin cylinder the compressor is better than my Lowes special I have in the garage...
Anyone have any thoghts on how hard it would be to set up the PTO and governor if I transfer the whole shebang to my civi truck?
The hardest part about transfer of the generator, PTO and governor to another vehicle is the lack of wiring diagram (unless you are active duty military and know the publications officer well). There are interlock switches on the transmission (shifter), transfer case and PTO. Then there is the overspeed control (Woodward) and ramp function box (added for stability).

The compressor is durable, quiet and efficient. But being 3-phase, it has limited use unless you were to swap out the motor. The compressor can be mounted high to free up space. Just make sure to run it with both front box doors open to keep it cooler. The way it is mounted obscures the oil sight glass and it is nearly impossible to change the oil.

scarryy

Yeah, when I bid on the truck I was SURE I was gonna take of the box, but now I will try it for a while. Main problem is I haul a lot of firewood and manure, which isn't easy with a box. We'll see...
If I do make the swap, the 2500 should be fine it is an 8800 GVWR, camper package and "Heavy duty chassis" on the RPO sticker. Also has air bags on the rear. Have loaded it to the top of two foot side boards with green cottonwood-probably WAY overloaded-and run about 50 miles to home.

Keith_J

Trailers are easier to load. The CMV makes a great towing vehicle.
Mounting the compressor high will open up a lot of space.

A rear view camera would be great.

K9Vic

There was a member selling a updated gov control system for the 1031 that was pretty slick, all electronic. I'd suggest flex the searching Kung fu and see if you can dig it up. Was about a year back. I'm not at home or I would take a look for ya, sorry..
I recall that and do not have the link, if you find it please post as my control system dead. The Generator spins fine, but system does not engage.

Keith_J

I recall that and do not have the link, if you find it please post as my control system dead. The Generator spins fine, but system does not engage.
If the system is complete, meaning you should have three boxes (controller, ramp generator and Woodward overspeed) and the relay, check to see if the transmission switch is working. This is under the hood, near the steering column. Other system malfunctions would present with different symptoms.

Hopefully this diagram from Lavarock will help. Check the fuse first, then if the dash light comes on with the dash switch, it is the transmission switch.

Attachments

Skinny

I may need one if no one buys my generator setup. I've fumbled around with my governor a few times with a DVOM and know it has power, ground, and an AC voltage coming from the speed sensor spinning up. Trying to commit to selling it (already have a Honda 5000 and 2000 inverter) or dumping money into the governor system to make it useful.