• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy - lift question

motormayhem

I have 36" tires and 4" lift and the stock system works great with a lifted steering arm until I get really flexed out. Then I can turn all driver or all passenger and the tires stay relatively in the same position.

ThunderOne

What is WAY off? you do NOT want the pinoin to be straight with the drive shaft.

There are 4 boults that attach the crossmember to the frame, they are about 1.25 inches longer than needed and have a spacer to take up that extra. The bolts go from the bottom up and the spacer is on the nut side, above the frame rail. Remove the 4 bolts and place the spacers between the frame and x-member, reinstall the bolts. This drops the t-case a lil for no cost at all.

There is another trick to but it requiers new d-shafts as stated before. You can use a rear housing and output shaft from a dodge with a fixed rear yoke. Gives you room for a longer shaft.
So you can lift the truck how many inches and do the T-case drop before you have to extend the driveshaft? More than 6?

Also, I thought the pinion angle was supposed to be aligned (or close to aligned with slight neg) with the driveshaft to avoid excess wear on your u-joints. Am I wrong or something?? Everytime people get vibes after lifting Tacomas a shim always fixes it.
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/index.html
???

Last edited:

SmokeyDod

On my M1028, I put a 4" lift via block under rear springs and new 5-leaf springs in front with 2-1/2" thick block under the std pitman arm . I had also to change shocks and put new 4" longer brake lines on front. I run the 37" radials. Been on for 3 yrs. and have not had any problems. I've been to "Tellico" a few times off roading and so far all has been fine. If someone went higher than 4", I don't know what you would need.

ODdave

Sorry guys, i didnt make it home in time to get pics of the 1028 crossover But i was able to take a few of one of the others (12in lift) I built a raised arm for this one but it gives you an idea to help wet the whistle. It has a different rod end up top but its all we had at the time.

Attachments

ODdave

the only thing you would gain by bending the bar is aligning the rod ends a lil bit, there is still plenty of travel left in them (this truck has seen air time). You would not change the bump steer (which is still minimal) and would make it a pita to adjust. The 1028 has much less of an angle.

ThunderOne

On my M1028, I put a 4" lift via block under rear springs and new 5-leaf springs in front with 2-1/2" thick block under the std pitman arm . I had also to change shocks and put new 4" longer brake lines on front. I run the 37" radials. Been on for 3 yrs. and have not had any problems. I've been to "Tellico" a few times off roading and so far all has been fine. If someone went higher than 4", I don't know what you would need.
Isn't Tellico closed now?

DokWatson

Heres my steering...decided it was time to upgrade after breaking steering bolts on the street. 7" lift, no those aren't blocks in the front. Zero rates.

Notice the missing crossmember. 3/8 plate welded to the inside of the frame with a steel pipe in between them. The frame needs to be braced for crossover steering, or it will eventually crack the frame and tear the box off. ORD sells a frame brace to use with a stock crossmember.

Attachments

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

Just a note to all also keep an eye on the right rear spring bushings and shackles/ frame bushings have seen some with a lot of wear with crossover stearing! just a note! [thumbzup] Nice job on the cheap crossover setup looks great!! and the money you save can go for other upgrades!
And the ( I built that ) pricless!!

japickar

Well once again, I guess I should have listened. After driving my truck around with the steering block, I am ready to convert to crossover. There is just too much slop on center and not enough turning radius for me to be satisfied.

ODdave, would you please PM me a link to the steering arm you bought off of ebay? Thanks in advance.

japickar

If I go with bigger tires in the future I probably will go with hydro assist. If I played in the rocks I would do it when I convert to crossover, but IMO for where I drive and the setup I currently have it is not necessary right now. Of course I may prove myself to be wrong again.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks