• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy. M35A2vsM35A3

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just buy both and get it over with then you don't have to decide. You will need about 4 trailers and a CUCV to go with them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site. As you can see, the search function is your friend, although it can be a difficult friend at times.

Most all deuce topics have been covered at one point or another.

Make sure to pencil in the Ga Rally on your calendar. It's the most epic event of all time and you will probably get an opportunity for some A2 and A3 test drives and perhaps see them in action offroad.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/61277-2011-ga-rally-definite-dates.html

We look forward to meeting you!

RIDDLE1

Welcome to the site. As you can see, the search function is your friend, although it can be a difficult friend at times.

Most all deuce topics have been covered at one point or another.

Make sure to pencil in the Ga Rally on your calendar. It's the most epic event of all time and you will probably get an opportunity for some A2 and A3 test drives and perhaps see them in action offroad.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/61277-2011-ga-rally-definite-dates.html

We look forward to meeting you!
Where is this located? I very possibly will attend.

Madfarmersson

Just buy both and get it over with then you don't have to decide. You will need about 4 trailers and a CUCV to go with them.
Green feaver is contagious you know.
I see you have been shoot down by the (search the forums) guys,
They realy bug me, they take the time to post but not to answer the question. But some of us are still needing to get our 100 posts so we can use the classified ads ha, ha.
I have never drove an A3, mine is an A2 I love it by the way.
If I had the money I may think about an A3, the big thing about the A3 is
the Cat motor and the auto tranny, you might need some $$$$ if you need to work on it. But that Cat and auto tranny should never give you any trouble.

Madfarmersson.

RIDDLE1

Green feaver is contagious you know.
I see you have been shoot down by the (search the forums) guys,
They realy bug me, they take the time to post but not to answer the question. But some of us are still needing to get our 100 posts so we can use the classified ads ha, ha.
I have never drove an A3, mine is an A2 I love it by the way.
If I had the money I may think about an A3, the big thing about the A3 is
the Cat motor and the auto tranny, you might need some $$$$ if you need to work on it. But that Cat and auto tranny should never give you any trouble.

Madfarmersson.
Oh I knew the search police were going to get me. I am a super moderator on a outdoors forum here in GA, I see it all the time. To me if people just use the search feature all the time you will have less forum activity.

Back to the subject. the main reason I am leaning towards the A3 is that they are "newer" and I a familiar with the 3116 motor. I know Allison is know for great transmissions but they kinda make me nervous. I wonder if you could swap the Allison for a manual trans?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Where is this located? I very possibly will attend.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/53347-official-2010-ss-ga-rally-info-thread.html

That is the info thread for last year's event. It is more or less accurate for this year's event, except this year is Oct 19-23.

The info thread has everything you need-locations, food, lodging, activities, etc.

Pictures from last year's event can be seen here so you know what you're in for:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and yes, buy one of each and stop this madness.........

;-)

RIDDLE1

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/53347-official-2010-ss-ga-rally-info-thread.html

That is the info thread for last year's event. It is more or less accurate for this year's event, except this year is Oct 19-23.

The info thread has everything you need-locations, food, lodging, activities, etc.

Pictures from last year's event can be seen here so you know what you're in for:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
Thanks for the info! I am going to try my best to make it. Looks like my kind of fun.

Madfarmersson

I am not sure if you could swop trans or not I would not.
We farm and ranch and we have a truck with the allison,
it is the biger 750 trans with a 400 HP cummins and I love that
transmishion, absolutely no problems and being a farm truck it gets ran hard.
I do know a guy that has a A3, I rode in it at one of our reenactments, It sure jumped betwen the gears, I think the problem was he was running to heavy of oil not sure.

RIDDLE1

I am not sure if you could swop trans or not I would not.
We farm and ranch and we have a truck with the allison,
it is the biger 750 trans with a 400 HP cummins and I love that
transmishion, absolutely no problems and being a farm truck it gets ran hard.
I do know a guy that has a A3, I rode in it at one of our reenactments, It sure jumped betwen the gears, I think the problem was he was running to heavy of oil not sure.
Well I know that alot of other trucks with the 3116 have manuals. I'm sure you would have to fab a cross member and clutch linkage but other than that it shouldn't be to bad.

I just love manual transmissions. My dodge 3500 has a 6 speed behind the cummins!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a3 all the way In cab heater, insulated cab, electric wipers, more supportive drivers seat, air assist power steering, air dryer, super singles, marker lights, back-up lights, more responsive engine, great auto tranny, Most every part is like new..25 years newer than the average A2. Drive one and there is no contest.

AN/ARC186

a3 all the way In cab heater, insulated cab, electric wipers, more supportive drivers seat, air assist power steering, air dryer, super singles, marker lights, back-up lights, more responsive engine, great auto tranny, Most every part is like new..25 years newer than the average A2. Drive one and there is no contest.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!!:cookoo::mrgreen:

OD_Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETOYOTA

I reject your reality and substitute my own!!:cookoo::mrgreen:

:ditto::ditto:

Besides you can add most of the of the things SEToyota mentions above to the A2 ( Acquiring and installing the upgrades will keep you out of the bars:D ) and you may be able to find a late model A2 if you are concerned about age. Call me stupid, but I really think the LDT465 is a sweet engine and I have never been a fan of juice trannys in trucks. 2cents

lonegunman

+100 on the "run a search" idea.

They are the same truck in some important respects. You won't get more leg room in an A3, you just won't have to shift. You won't get less wind noise or fewer leaks as far as I can tell. You can't haul more either and it won't go faster.

If you like to tinker and want to blow up the engine by messing with things that should have been left alone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buy an A2.

If you like clouds of oily black smoke from running trans fluid, french fryer gease and your old chainsaw gas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buy an A2.

If you are or wish to be deaf,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buy an A2.

If you live someplace where you do not need heat, most A2's lack heaters.

Not a lot of rain? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,perfect for air wipers.

If you have a it more money to spend, buy an A3 and get all the upgrades on a truck that has been freshened up within the last twenty years.

Don't wanna row gears from stoplight to stoplight? A3

Better heat, wipers, seats, engine, rebuilt everything and in generally nicer condition,,,,,,,A3

You can find plenty of nice trucks of either model. A2's in the aftermarket and A3's from the GL. Supply is limited with A3's and not to bad with A2's. You get what you pay for, no kidding.

A cheap A3 can require some expensive parts if you buy badly. On the flipside, do a search for "help my truck exploded on the recovery" and you will find a dozen A2 horror stories in the last few months here.

I bought an A3 and did a cross country recovery and did it without a single problem. If I walk outside, it will fire up and purr like a Cat and be ready to drive in five mins after a quick walk around. I'm pleased with my choice.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks