• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy with M35A2C?

Big Ron

I just purchaced a 1980 M35 w/o winch and I am having trouble getting it titled and regestered. It was Gov. Restored? "MMD General Support Repair Program May 95" reads a plate on the dash. It also has all the Data Plates on the dash and all numbers a legible, but cannot find anything on the frame. Deuce is All White and is said to come off an Air Base here in FL.

I have been told that it is a M35A1 Cargo, but I "think" but don't know, if it is a A2C. It has a Continital LDT-465 1C? Multi Fuel in it. I am new too Military Truck world but have built trucks using their axels for years. Truck is in great shape and very clean.

I am new to this Forum, and have been doing some research for the past couple weeks on this buy. This is a great forum and looks to be a great bunch of guys. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Ron

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see a picture of the data plate. Put the info in the 2011 VIN info thread, CARNAC will tell you where its been and what it is. Shouldn't be an A1 if it's a 1980. Like Westy said, the "C" is for dropside in the designation even though there was a C and D turbo.

Big Ron

I looked up the "Stock #" that is on the dash plate in the TM manuals on Jatonam35.com and it stated it was a M35A2C. The plate on the motor says its a Contenital and from the Ilistrations in the TM it looks like a LDT-465 1-C motor. Am I right on the motor? I know it has the "Whistle" that you guys have talked about. Thanks Steve 6X6, and I have seen your truck before. Im in Polk City... I put Lakeland cause no one knows P.C. Thanks for all the help guys. I searched the forum and tried to look up the amswers to these questions and had no luck. But have found answers to aother qustions that I had.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The s/n should be above the left front wheel on the frame. My be hard to see if it has been paint many times.

Welcome to SS!!:beer:

Big Ron

Got it from an individual. No title. I have traced it back 4 people and still no luck with a title or SF-97. Now I have a new problem. I get home today and the truck won't start. Checked all connections, tried 3 sets of batteries, tried to jump it off, and still all I get is a loud "click" from the starter soliniod. Tried to jump the points on the soliniod and still nothing. The only thing I can think is a week ago today when I fired it up I couldnt get it to shut off, and had to dump the clutch to stall the motor to turn it off. Could this have caused my problem?

Big Z

Probably not. I drive a 75 freightliner on occasion and that's the only way to shut it off :D Check your ground connections and battery cables. Good chance you will be having some fun with a steel brush and degreaser.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get a truck titled in most states if you don't have one but it's not easy. A sf-97 is worthless to you because you're not the one that bought it from the government.

I'm assuming your a good SS and read the TM so you know you have to pull the cable to shut it off ;). Is the cable broke or did you pull the cable and nothing happened? This wouldn't effect the starter anyway.

Could be your starter solenoid or your starter. Make sure you've got 24v to your starter. If you do it's more than likely your starter. There's a slight possibility that you're engine is locked up. You can check that by baring it over on the front pulley. Be careful baring it though because if your fuel shutoff doesn't work it could start.

Kefa

Lucas Oil Additive

Just changed my filters and oil. I added 4 gallons of 15W 40 and 1 gallon Lucas + 2 quarts = 22 quarts. When I start the engine it comes up to pressure much faster. I rns a little rough at first while it builds the pressure then levels off. Anyone have expereince with this and how does it due in the winter? Should I reduce the amount of Lucas?
thanks in advance

SixSpeed

Banned
Welcome to Steel Soldiers, I am in Tampa. Where did you get the truck from?

When you jump the starter solenoid, do you get a nice click out of it? If so, the starter motor might have given up. Like mentioned before, make sure the fuel shutoff is pulled out/functional before you go trying to turn the motor over/play with the starter. These motors can start up very easily sometimes.

Big Ron

I have checked battery cables and all all tight and clean, and good contact. My volt meter is not working so I cannot check volts to starter. I pulled the shut off cable and engine did not shut off. That is why I had to stall it. It didn't have either alt. belts when I got it so I didn't want to run it too long as not to overheating the motor. Batteries were dead when I got it as well, so I charged then. That is why it has been a week since I have fired her up. I don't understand why it fired right up a week ago and will only give me a "click" out of the solinoid now?

SixSpeed

Banned
From my experience the starter in these trucks isn't THE most reliable starter in the world. Not to say it is unreliable...just not as good as the bit its bolted too.

When you pulled the cable, was it pulling the lever on the injection pump?

KsM715

Kefa, not to be rude but its best to start your own thread that way we are not haveing two different conversations in this one thread. Makes things confusing.

Big Ron, there is a trouble shooting guide in the TM's. Helped me diagnose my "no start" problem, turned out to be the little ground on top of the starter relay.

Big Ron

Yes it was pulling the piston out. The original cable broke and the guy before me added a wire and I think I just was not pulling the piston out all the way.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
let me get this straight, you brought a truck with at least 4 former owners and no title/reg. trail., WITHOUT belts, bubered shut down cable, batts. that don't hold a charge., I sure the price was CHEAP, like almost free

try jumping the solenoid on the right rear of the block, or just bypass it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks