• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here...already in deep

armysurpguy

Hello all.
Its funny how you see something in an ad and say " I could do this..... or that to it" then you get it home and realize how big and heavy the thing is.
I am a proud new owner of a 1968 M105. The frame has some surface rust on the tongue but the under carriage is clean, the box looks almost new. The plates on the frame look original but the plates on the box look altered. There are new bolts holding the box to frame which leads me to believe the box was placed on this frame and the number plate changed to match the frame....is this a common practice? I kinda need some help, and yes, I have searched the forums and have found a world of knowledge, but I have never even attempted anything like this, to say the least this will be my first Trailer project.
A Low voltage Electrical Technician by trade the light rework is a joy to figure out. The body and axle and wheels and.....that's all another story.
aua
IMG_1198.jpgIMG_1201.jpgIMG_1200.jpgIMG_1199.jpg

dmetalmiki

That's a "perfect" trailer and a well easy restoration to..perfection..get to it...OH and get something <GREEN> and hopefully HUGE to pull it...then you really are on your way..to....bliss

Another Ahab

Not a trailer guy, but plenty here are: you have come to the right spot.

Welcome to you from up here in the Grand Old Dominion State of Virginia.

Piper Cub

Congrats on the new trailer! That is a new bed, the older ones(like what yours originally had) only had 4 braces on each sides while the newer ones(like the box on there now) have 6. What are your plans for it?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's fine the way it is, the only serial number that counts is the one on the frame. Officially, it's an M103 trailer frame, but they put all sorts of different beds on it to make it into a whole slew of different trailers. M-105 was the main cargo version, that's all.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from the Commenwealth of Kentucky. Nice trailer, just remove the GL stickers and leave it be. Great start to a collection, next, get a tan one and then a solid green one. Oh and get the right truck to pull it.
Have fun.
JC

armysurpguy

Plans

Congrats on the new trailer! That is a new bed, the older ones(like what yours originally had) only had 4 braces on each sides while the newer ones(like the box on there now) have 6. What are your plans for it?
Thanks for the info. I am going to take the bed off, sand blast the frame, take off the axle and the 400lbs of air/electric brakes and cast drums off to lighten it up a bit, and get it down to my size.
I have already rewired it for Civ 7 pin. That for me was the easy part, the axle and the rest will be a learning experience. The Tires are Very New, still has the little rubber nubs on them, think i could sell them?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you should just sell it and look around for a 101A2 or A3 3/4 ton trailer , would be a little easier to pull around with your ride .

armysurpguy

Maybe you should just sell it and look around for a 101A2 or A3 3/4 ton trailer , would be a little easier to pull around with your ride .
Actually I dont understand all the hype about the M105 being heavy and towing it...I have seen many post that suggested nothing less than a Ford Duramax with a super turbo and...... I towed it from SC to NC, with a Nissan Frontier!!! Burned a little more gas, but hills, corners and even over railroad tracks I had no problems. Now if it was loaded.....yeah, bring in the big truck...

Rolled on a garbage transfer station scale, the trailer as is, came in at 2,655 lbs.... My Truck can tow (from Nissan Specs) 6,500 Lbs with a tongue weight of 500 lbs on my class 3 hitch.
It was an adventure. Once I slim her down a bit, my little truck will be just fine with it, plus I only paid $300. You can't even buy a crappy Lowes trailer for under $400

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hype may be that there is about half the weight of the trailer reducing your trailer load capacity, due to being so darned heavy. Plus the braking system is not compatible. That's all. Oh, and the pintle height is not a match.

I'm sure you will find a way to accommodate your cheap trailer,,,,,, a deuce should do the trick!

Cheers and welcome to he madhouse!

Rick

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually I dont understand all the hype about the M105 being heavy and towing it...I have seen many post that suggested nothing less than a Ford Duramax with a super turbo and...... I towed it from SC to NC, with a Nissan Frontier!!! Burned a little more gas, but hills, corners and even over railroad tracks I had no problems. Now if it was loaded.....yeah, bring in the big truck...

Rolled on a garbage transfer station scale, the trailer as is, came in at 2,655 lbs.... My Truck can tow (from Nissan Specs) 6,500 Lbs with a tongue weight of 500 lbs on my class 3 hitch.
It was an adventure. Once I slim her down a bit, my little truck will be just fine with it, plus I only paid $300. You can't even buy a crappy Lowes trailer for under $400
Welcome to the madness!
Yup, I have recovered multiple m105 with just my Durango with no issue. Heck, I had my 19 year ols son bring back one from AL with a 95 jeep cherokee( trailer was probably bigger than the jeep :) ) Most suv and pick ups can tow 3000lb within their factory specs with no additional equipment. As you found out an empty m105 is under 3000. Most states do not require brakes for under 3000.

Now loaded and over 3000 is a whole different animal. :burn:

Don't worry a 5 ton is in your future. Ask me how I know? :tank:

Another Ahab

Im an idiot. Thanks. lol

Nah. You were just thinking inside out; it's easy to do.

AND if the system was really well engineered, it would immediately be self-evident about what part fits where. Top rate engineering/ design is a rare commodity. It's a trade-off (related to cost usually).

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isuzu NPR cabover medium-duty trucks used a 19.5-inch steel one-piece wheel that had the 6-lug Budd pattern; 19.5 radials are cheap and will lower the profile of the trailer, and it's easier to find tire shops to work on a 19.5-in radial than the lock ring tube tires already on it. Check wrecking/salvage yards for these wheels, although some are available on eBay for a shipping premium.

Fabricate a hitch adapter that will accept a surge brake hitch, and you can go full hydraulic for the brakes.

I love M105 trailers; they tow great, and are very versatile and rugged. I think I had 8 at one time, now I'm down to 5 or so. Very useful, great for parts & tire/wheel storage too.

RjSteed

I to am fairly new to the trailers... Its overwhelming when you are first looking at it... Think about the things you want to be able to do with it, then take a step back for a couple days. Then look at it again...
For me perhaps it was a little easier because I had just finished doing work on my Tahoe suspension, so the trailer was a lot easier having just learned a lot about suspension and axle.

Trailers are actually pretty simple once you stop looking at it as a daunting task. Then its just how to I pay for it?

You have the
Box
Frame
Axle
Brakes
Hubs
Wheels
Tires
Leaf springs
Shocks

Pretty much it, so long as you look at and follow safety guidelines while using it. You are good... There is a lot to learn here on this forum, but somethings I have had to do searches connecting the dots to figure out how things worked and led to the next part... I tried to put those puzzles in my posts, because I like to help the next new guy out when trying to figure out...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks