• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HH, now a lot of smoke and no power???

AndrewH

Long awaited update

Ok here we go, new filters, valves adjusted, timing verified again, original HH installed, injectors removed, popped, adjusted, reinstalled, high pressure lines routing and installation verified, exhaust removed checked reinstalled, intake air plumbing removed, cleaned, installed. turbo spins freely, no axial play, less than .0009 endplay, (thats as accurate as my dial indicator is)

It iwll start and run, it takes a lot to get it started, lots of cranking, some use of intake heat helps but doesnt seem to want to go.

Once running it still smokes at idle, hunts at idle, will go to governed speed with no issues, still no power.

I'm going to have to gut an injector to make the compression testor I need, thats next. Then maby install the other pump.

It has been a back burner project. I hear winter is on its way!

Any ideas or helpful babblings are invited. Thanks. Andrew

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you 100% sure you have clean fresh fuel in your tank?

AndrewH

Yep, sorry I forgot that part. The fuel was drained, tank plug removed, tank flushed with clean diesel, then 20G of new diesel in tank, new fuel filters, run pump, bleed filters, bleed to IP.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ok, you are going to have to use logic and common sense to diagnose this problem. do you have a boost gauge? if not put something 0-15 on the intake manifold and see what the boost is. also since you have so much black smoke, turn the fuel rate down a lot to start with. recheck the pump to engine timing and check the crank pully to crank timing, it may have moved. this may be the issue, .001 in piston position is about 10 deg on balancer so it is VERY critical.

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
reading your post #15, this is exactly what will happen if the booster pump tries to pull fuel and there is any kind of restriction in the supply side of slight air leak as in fitting not tight. is the fuel line under the front crossmember smashed? fairly common.

tom

AndrewH

"THAT" post

Ok loyal readers, I have an admission to make and I expect to recieve the beatings to which I am now entitled. I decided to just troubleshoot it as if I just got it and didnt know what I had already done.
Fuel at injectors Check
Clear air routs in and out Check,
Bitch to start and smokes a lot., Getting fuel, Must be timing.
Pulled forward valve cover. barred engine over until on tdc #1 Check tining marks.
Damper mark, check, timing assy mark, check, red tooth, no check.
People I installed the HH 180 out the first time and copied it each time after that.:twisted: I moved the HH 180 and Now things are a lot easier to start.
I have to put all the little brackets and stuff back on so I havnt road tested it yet. Its now 11 pm here. Time for dinner and sleep.
I would like to thank all who assisted, you comments and guidence here have been very helpful. Thanks.

AndrewH

AndrewH

When I found this, let me assure you there was a string of explatives that would make a sailor proud. Every combonation of the "DAMMIT" I could think of.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Screw that! Its fixed and running right, you should say "whew"! We have all made mistakes, just be glad you found it, and not someone else.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sure am glad when I find my own mistakes!!! And good on ya for keeping us posted all the way thru. I know you have helped me to never make that mistake:) THANKS very much

hdexpert

I'm replacing my HH today. If you line up the red mark to the pointer when you re assemble how can you get it 180 out? Just curious, don't want to have to do the job twice!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW: Yes, I had to learn this lesson about 15 years ago.... when I found out that these engines actually do start AND run AND smoke a lot with the crank 360º off...! And all the symptoms described here were exactly the same.... !!!

Only reason I kept quiet is because it couldn't be just this.....there is no way the HH can be off 180º if the red marked tooth on the old head was visible in the window prior to removal and the new one went in in the same position WITHOUT turning the engine over. Also assumed that the IP remained in place and only the HH was replaced.....
(So something wasn't exactly the way the OP had described it!?)

hdexpert: hope this answers your Q., too.

Glad the problem was solved!

G.

AndrewH

The damper mark and the timing assembly mark line up twice per cycle. top of compression and top of exhaust. the red tooth only shows up at the top of compression. Unless I have it 180 off. So by pulling the valve cover I made dam sure it was compression yesterday.

By the way, I finished puttubng it all together and drove it today. Started great this morning at 40 degrees. started great this afternoon and drove as it should. With just the right amount of smoke.:razz:.

I hope this little expierence can halp everybody. Maby I'll make apost of just keywords some someone can search and find it llater!

AndrewH

hdexpert

Well, here's my HH story from today. Installed everything correct, double checked it all, still no fuel getting to the injectors. So I talked to Gimp this evening and we went through it all step by step. Still couldn't figure out why no fuel. So I told him I had read a post about a piece falling off the end of the HH and he said oh crap!! I forgot to tell you to make sure the new HH had that piece on it. Well, I know for a fact it didn't so apart it all comes tomorrow!! Oh well, second times a charm!!:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks