• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Humvee owner info and purchase experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

teteacher101

Hello all, first time poster-long time lurker from WI here!

Well after 16 weeks of waiting for my EUC to clear I finally got my new toy home this week. The description Gov Planet gave was pretty accurate so far and I'm currently repairing a bunch of pidly things. After 48 hours of having it home I got the following done so far. 2 fuel leaks fixed (one more to go yet), fluids topped off to run it some an get the old fuel ran out of it, cleaning, lubing, new batteries, etc.

My purchase experience with Gov Planet was fine, the wait from the Government is ridiculous though! Every time I emailed/called Gov Planet they were knowledgeable and friendly as well. I picked it up at Ft. McCoy in WI and can't say enough nice things about them down there. Jeff was the contact person, and he had it running an the tires aired up before I even got there! Super knowledgeable about them, showed me a few things an you could tell he was a hard worker an was willing to go the extra mile for ya. Great experience there!

I have a lot of TLC left like we all do of course, it needs a couple lights fixed, blinkers don't work, glow plugs don't work, and who knows what else! Overall I'm very happy an excited to tackle it though!

IMG_20160714_195601076.jpg

Action

How are you starting it if the glow plugs don't work? starting fluid?
There is actually a whole manual on lubrication for these. More zerks in places you won't see.

papakb

As the recipient of a new vehicle that you don't really know the history of I'd suggest changing ALL fluids, belts, and hoses. Crawl around under the truck and look for leaks or seepage at the CV joints and check the brake pad thickness for even wear all around. Take a good look at the speedometer drive while your down there, it's a common source of problems if it's loose and a guaranteed failure later on if it is. Pull the air filter and make sure there isn't any sign of tranny fluid in the housing indicating a condition called the Vampire where fluid gets pulled back thru the vent system.

Make sure to download AND READ the TMs for the truck. They're available online for free. When you do check the publication date to make sure the manuals reflect your truck. An 1151 manual will be similar but might not answer questions on your 998.

Beyond that, have fun with it! They always need something and mine has been a great source of physical therapy for me for the last 15 years.

Kurt

Last edited:

Postmortal1

Similar experience. Jeff at Fort McCoy is awesome goes above and beyond to help you get things squared away.

My first EUC took forever but my second M998 purchase only took 2 weeks for trade commission approval. Headed up to Minnesota from northeast Wisconsin on Wednesday to pick up Humvee M998 #2. I've got the green fever. Fun distraction.

tage

Lol doesn't sound that the item was as described with all those issues. I don't think you're familiar with these trucks.
Thanks for your limited review of a contractor's contractor...

teteacher101

How are you starting it if the glow plugs don't work? starting fluid?
There is actually a whole manual on lubrication for these. More zerks in places you won't see.
Well it's been in the 80s and 90s next week, so a couple hits on the throttle an about 10 seconds of cranking an she fires right up. Ya I gotta get the manual downloaded to my computer yet. I grew up on a farm so I'm pretty accustomed to grease zerks hiding an I have almost all of them located!

teteacher101

As the recipient of a new vehicle that you don't really know the history of I'd suggest changing ALL fluids, belts, and hoses. Crawl around under the truck and look for leaks or seepage at the CV joints and check the brake pad thickness for even wear all around. Take a good look at the speedometer drive while your down there, it's a common source of problems if it's loose and a guaranteed failure later on if it is. Pull the air filter and make sure there isn't any sign of tranny fluid in the housing indicating a condition called the Vampire where fluid gets pulled back thru the vent system.

Make sure to download AND READ the TMs for the truck. They're available online for free. When you do check the publication date to make sure the manuals reflect your truck. An 1151 manual will be similar but might not answer questions on your 998.

Beyond that, have fun with it! They always need something and mine has been a great source of physical therapy for me for the last 15 years.

Kurt
Thanks for the tips! I got most of what you said checked with more to go! Thanks again.

teteacher101

Lol doesn't sound that the item was as described with all those issues. I don't think you're familiar with these trucks.
Thanks for your limited review of a contractor's contractor...
How do you know the item was not as it was described? Did you read the inspection report for the vehicle I bought? I never said anything wasn't as described, I feel they had disclosed everything they could to the best of their ability according to the description they gave.

Of course I'm not familiar with these trucks-all I know about them is from reading about them and talking to prior service members. Who is familiar with them besides people that were techs in the service and/or have worked on them in the past. It's not any different than buying a different brand of vehicle, ATV, UTV, etc. You start by reseaerching and talking to others with more experience-we all have to start somewhere.

If you would like a more comprehensive review of the contractors contractor please give me your evaluation form or tell me where I can at least provide an official subjective review of them as I apologize for my ignorance in not knowing where to do that at but you obviously do, so I would appreciate any information you can provide so I can submit a satisfactory review to you.

Thanks

tage

You should post the link if you're that concerned.
I do not have the time to argue or discuss what ifs. The fact that it has several issues. Most cannot/will not be checked by a gp rep/contractor...

teteacher101

You should post the link if you're that concerned.
I do not have the time to argue or discuss what ifs. The fact that it has several issues. Most cannot/will not be checked by a gp rep/contractor...
Where in my original post did I state anything about being concerned about the inspection result versus the actual result and findings once I had it in my possession? So I am not sure why you would want me to post a link?

I'm not talking about any what ifs, everything I stated was facts and I don't have the time to argue or discuss your misinterpreted representation of my purchase experience and intro to a forum that holds a wealth of knowledge.

From what I have seen so far most items on GP are in fact checked as best as they can with the people they have contracted to do it judging from the many things listed with several photographs and a inspection report. Which is much better than other things I have bought from auctions with out any report or type of return policy. It sounds like your one of those people that if it had a bolt missing on a bracket it should have been noted and you want your money back. The same mentality of somebody who buys a 20 year old car with 200k miles on it and when it breaks down a day later you call the person you bought it from blaming them for selling you a piece of junk.

Let me know when you get the link to or get a copy of the official form for the comprehensive evaluation of the purchase experience as I'm looking forward to filling it out.

Thanks

avlon01

Where in WI are you?

I've had my M998A1 for a few weeks now and am always looking for other owners for car shows and to bounce ideas off of. I'm down near Lake Geneva and there aren't too many HMMWV's down here.

saddamsnightmare

July 16th, 2016.

Cut the OP some slack, if he's happy with what he bought, it's really little or no business of yours to rain on his parade. We won't get too many replacements for the fellows that old Grimm the Reaper's going to get sooner or later, so if you want a hobby to continue, you need to encourage new blood. Besides, a lot of you'all's blood's getting a little stale of late from the attiudes taken in this thread. Chill out!;-)

fasttruck

The grease gun is your friend. Grease is cheap. Parts are expensive. Get a lubrication order and follow religiously. Some grease points may have well be neglected by various military operators and organizational maintenance types especially the hard to reach ones.

NV555

Congrats on your HMMWV! "Go Pack Go" well at least until they come to Arizona then it's just "Go home Pack go Home!"

Oh shoot did the pack loose twice last year in Arizona :beer:

teteacher101

Where in WI are you?

I've had my M998A1 for a few weeks now and am always looking for other owners for car shows and to bounce ideas off of. I'm down near Lake Geneva and there aren't too many HMMWV's down here.

Hey fellow Wisconsite! I'm a ways from you-I'm located about an hour North of Eau Claire.

teteacher101

July 16th, 2016.

Cut the OP some slack, if he's happy with what he bought, it's really little or no business of yours to rain on his parade. We won't get too many replacements for the fellows that old Grimm the Reaper's going to get sooner or later, so if you want a hobby to continue, you need to encourage new blood. Besides, a lot of you'all's blood's getting a little stale of late from the attiudes taken in this thread. Chill out!;-)
:)

teteacher101

The grease gun is your friend. Grease is cheap. Parts are expensive. Get a lubrication order and follow religiously. Some grease points may have well be neglected by various military operators and organizational maintenance types especially the hard to reach ones.
Will do! Thanks

teteacher101

Congrats on your HMMWV! "Go Pack Go" well at least until they come to Arizona then it's just "Go home Pack go Home!"

Oh shoot did the pack loose twice last year in Arizona :beer:
No Idea, I don't follow any sports at all-just not my thing.

NV555

Isn't that a serious charge in Wisconsin resulting in a misdemeanor? I would like to see a pic of some one at Lambeau Field tailgating in a HMMWV have some Beer, Brats, and Cheese!

Status
Not open for further replies.