• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008 Plow Truck-pics

Sasquatch

I just picked up my first MV, a M1008 plow truck. Thanks first of all for all the good info on the site, amazing how much knowledge you guys have on these trucks.

Here's the truck:

The good:
Only 19,000 miles
Already had a Boss V-plow installed from the army with a custom mount, looked like they had a sander on the back too.
Has the Arctic Kit with the built in and wired Swingfire Heater
Only thing the mechanic found was a slight leak at the rear main enginie seal, not dripping just a little seeping and the drive belt was a little loose.
Engine looks clean, has had some parts replaced it looks like.
Only one small spot (~1") of bad rust near the passenger side door, everything else is solid, looks like the inner fenders were replaced.
Runs and shifts smooth.

The bad:
Dent in driver's side door and rear bumper
No tailgate
No front bumper or brush guard because of the plow mount
That's about all I can see now.

The Questions:
Anyone know how to start the Swingfire? It has one switch with a small red light labelled "Swingerfire Pump", can hear it pumping if you flip it.
There's another switch with an orange light that says "Engine Heater" with an on/off switch.

Looks like the truck was in far northern AK, because there is a note under the hood that says Synth 0W30, seems too thin, do you think I should change it over to 15W40, the oil in there looks super clean. Our temps are usually between 0 and 30 in the mornings, though we do get some cold snaps where it can get quite a bit colder.

The coolant looks a little low but I couldn't see a fill line on the resevoir, any tips on how much to top it off?

Thanks in advance for all the info, I'm planning on doing the doghead relay mod and taking a good look over the truck this weekend and seeing what else needs done, but almost everything under the hood looks pretty good as far as the rubber hoses and things go.

Sasquatch

The seats look redder in the photo, they are brown in person. I've been running straight blades so the controls will take a little getting used to, but I can already see that it's going to push more, stack higher and scrape better than the straight meyers plow I had on the blazer.

Sasquatch

Part of the arctic kit, the squareish vent is where the plug in for the block heater comes out and the circle port is where the Swingfire heater is, it's a fuel fired heater which heats everything engine oil, pan, tranny. No problems cold starting out in the middle of nowhere.

I need find out a bit more about these, this one is wired in and I think hooked up to run on diesel straight out of the tank, but I'm not sure of the starting procedure, I'll have to check with the previous owner.

48cj2a

I plowed for several years with our 1008s, 28s, lastly swapping to a M1009 when we were phasing out of the M10XX trucks and switching to Hummers.

We had Western Unimounts and the the brush guards were never an issue, so they stayed on.

When I lost authorization for the M1009, we bought the $10K Fisher setup in PS Magazine for the oldest M998 in the fleet. Great plow but I sure missed the Blazer. Hummer was too light in the rear even with the fiberglass turtle top, heater was not adequate for the defrosters and don't even get me started on the wipers. Visability was horrible as well (so many blind spots).

You will love this truck for plowing - keep the batteries fully charged!!!!

Sasquatch

Thanks for the tip. Forgot to mention, it's already got a Solergizer installed so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue!

Sasquatch

Thanks for all the tips and comments.

Here some pics of the engine compartment and a few other shots around the truck, including the only bad spot of rust at the passenger cab corner. I need to look through the manual and see what all the wiring in the bed might have been. I think the hole was a heating vent, it used to have a canopy of some sort. The big plug on the bed wall doesn't seem to go anywhere, looks like it's just a ground.

The engine looks good, hoses all look pretty good, new valve covers, whole new oil pan underneath, batterries look new and so do the tires. I think I've got a pretty good truck, did the doghead relay mod this morning.

Attachments

Sasquatch

Forgot to ask, I noticed my leaf springs have little teflon inserts between all the leafs to keep them from rubbing on each other, have you guys noticed this on other trucks? I've never seen that before but this is my first MV.

Sasquatch

Definitely a necessity up here.

I think so Art, I was figuring that heater out tonight. You can see it on the passenger side of the engine compartment, with ducts that heat the battery compartments. That diesel fired heater really heats stuff up quick, but I haven't got the engine part of the heater to fire up yet, if I can get that going I could start it up anywhere when it's really cold out without having to plug it in.

Sasquatch

The engine looks awesome and runs great. The lady I got it from picked up from a GSA auction just last March with the intent of selling it, they only put 200 miles on it this year. So I think this is how it came from the Army, which seems amazing.