• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m1009 Floors via extreeme liner

SGTskully

Ok so after a crappy day, in my current situation, I set out to prep Arewen(my M1009) for new floors.

Remove all interior items, seats, gear ect.
Removed what was left of the floor mat, and this is what I got. A few rust throughs that need fixed. Not an issue, A couple of bolts thsat the heads broke off of, not an issue. and some prep work that needs done.

A good cleaning, some parch work, and a good wipe down and we'll be ready to spray the floors.
''Onward til tommorrow"!!

Attachments

cucv1833

Good luck. It dosent look REAL bad. What are you doing with the holes for patch work? welding? I did mine last year no major holes but took 2-days. 1-day prep and 1-day painting with herculiner.
It makes the inside alot nicer and a little more quite.2cents

SGTskully

new floors

So after a whole day of prep work, the floors are ready to be wiped down again and sprayed with extreemeliner.

First thing I did was cut out any firm sealant that was loose or looked like it had gotten water under it, the more I checked the more I found.
If the edge is coming up or its cracked good chance it has rust under it.

pulled off the factory glued mat pads and found the same under them.

I have been using Permatex rust treatment for a few years now and had excellent results. I cleaned up all rusty areas with a grinder and/or wire wheel, blew them off, wiped down with MEK and sprayed with Permatex rust treatment.

THen I patched the holes with metal patches formed to match the floors and recaulked everything that needed it.
Should be sealed up good on top. tommorrow she gets a new extreeme lliner sprayed in.
Ill tackle the underside in a few days so it all isnt a waste.

Attachments

SGTskully

two Gallons of liner a long nite and heres how it went. Masked off all areas but floors. cover all screw//bolt holes. Blow out dust, block sand all areas, blow out and clean w laquer thinner.
Mixed liner and sprayed two full gallons in about 4 hours.
Its curing out and looks awesome.

Attachments

forest522

Very well done sir! Funny, I had rust in the same places and i'm in the process of doing the same thing. The bed/cargo area has a slight 'sink' to it, and the area around the fuel filler tube cover has some surface rust as well.

Is Permatex a spray on sort of POR 15?

Again, bravely done - looks great![thumbzup]

SGTskully

The Permatex spray is a rust treatment. it really doesnt say on the can but I tried it as an alternative to naval gelly a few years back and it works great. Not as expensive as POR 15 and readily available. Thanx for the Kudos and good luck with yours
:mrgreen:

SGTskully

It is an 86. I dont remember any differences in sifferent years but that was a long a time ago and its not really something we worried about. Did yours come from the Army or another branch?

M923driver

EXCELLENT JOB!!!! Just bought an M1009 and want to do the same thing. 3M makes a "brushable seam sealer" that is great. Really looks original and easy to use. Thanks for the pics and inspiration.:jumpin:

donalloy1

Great job SGTskully! Cannot wait to go there myself. On your third batch of pictures # 8 of 8. I see a gloss black piece of sheet metal runing accross the floor. What is the pupose? I do not have on my 86 - 09. :shock:

SGTskully

Not real seur of the purpose of that. I do remember having them in our m1009,s in my ELM shop trucks. Just thought they were in all of them. It is a plastic piece and I just painted it Black Hammered like the seat mounts. I'll have to look in the tm's. May be a guard for wiring to run behind.
thanx
CHAD