• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new M1009, lots of plans and ideas

REGULATOR

Ok folks, been pouring over the forums and reading as much data as possible.

I just purchased a M1009 for next to nothing ( probably due to the blown crankshaft)

But, Ive sourced a replacement engine and wil soon have it runnign again.

I have some plans, I don't want to pretty the truck up, just have a good daily driver and basic truck, in a complicated world the simplicity of a basic truck appeals to me.

BUT that beign said, I do want to lift it some and add some bigger more aggressive tires to allow travel on dirt roads and trails.

Questions : for these trucks, is 6 inch lift too much if I want to keep it reliable?

should I opt for a 4 inch instead?

in the future I may consider a turbo for the engine but for now I just want it to run and be reliable

thinking some seat covers and new tires are pretty much all it "needs" right away

Cucvnut

6 inch's is fine for that truck to drive on the street. i just wrote about doing a lift on a M1009 its really easy you might have to extend your drive shafts with a 6 inch lift. 4 inches is better for everyday driving. there is a build up thread of a guy on here doing a banks kit for his 6.2 also

REGULATOR

I'm basically making a to do list, and I have 6 months of time to think about what to do when I get back. the turbo is a wishful thinking maybe, I have to drive the truck some to see if I want more power.

I will probably do a 4 inch lift and a decent size tire package, that way it will stay closer to stock and less to break/fix/adjust, no need to regear it etc.

I don't want to spend a fortune on this truck, but at the same time I will spend money for quality items that will be better off longevity.

plan on keeping it for some time.

any idea of what size tires for a mostly streatable ( not a hardcore trail rig)
I could fit with a 4 inch lift ?

seen some good prices on combos in some of the 4x4 rags.

I thought about ordering some of these tires, but wonder if all that extra weight will be hard on a basically stock truck

Military Tires

Last edited:

ABN173

I had a 6" lift with HMMWV tires for my daily drive, it was fine but I did not care for the narrow portions of I-185 going into FT Benning (lots of construction) you could not see the barriers so well. I recommend staying stock or 4" or less, unless your primarily going off-road. Here was my old ride and my newest one. I had to sell the the old one as some kid wrecked into my parked truck and even though it was repaired I did not trust driving it 2,500 miles from GA to WA.
( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/29528-accident.html)

Attachments

Last edited:

REGULATOR

not sure if blown is the correct term..

when it wouldn't start, the mechanic and I started checkign things, like timing chain, glowplug voltage etc..

the mechanic ( who had been workign on the truck for the owner) kept saying it was running great then blam fubar. ( I wonder if GA would let me get that as a plate?)

all the mechanic had done was a 12v conversion, new 12v starter and wiring cause the 24v starter had gone out.

the mechanic dropped the oil pan and took a look, called me and said the crankshaft was shot

not sure if he ment it spun a bearing ( somethign he suspected in advance)
or if it was cracked.

I started looking for an entire replacement motor once I realized all the normal trouble shooting wasn't getting it started.

located one in NC, going to get it on friday...

like I said, got this cheap, really cheap, could probably double my money right now by selling off the parts on it. ( but I plan on keeping it to drive)

Cucvnut

you can go with 35's with with some trimming i would upgrade the rear shackles on the front springs to ORD's there greaseable and there heavy duty an a bit longer than stock ones. when i lift my truck i plan to do a whole build up picture by picture.

91W350

Does 35" tires kill the 6.2 on the road? The 3.08 gear seems pretty tall for that tall tire. I thought about swapping over to a set of 1008 axles to get the big rubber rolling easier.

REGULATOR

on my notebook when I was thinking the 37" hummvee tires, I just budgeted for a gear swap..

now I'm not so sure,

keep thinking not go so big on the tires and lift, keep it simple, just enough

I have plenty of time to think about it...

ABN173

Just keep in mind with the M1009 if you want to run HMMWV tires you will have to get new wheels like Rock Crawlers or similar. There are threads about this that can give you more information. With a M1008 the studs match up so that is not needed.

3dubs

I just rebuilt my engine and put new piston rings in. I am shocked at the power. I was thinking about a mild turbo only for going to see family in Colorado. If you want a turbo add a main cap stud girgle kit. It is only about $150. It atrengthens the main caps and worth adding the protection even with no turbo. I put one on just in case I add a turbo. With the engine out it is real easy to put on.

REGULATOR

well the turbo falls into the Optional late if I think I need it.

and the humvee tires come mounted on rims that fit

Military Tires

the turbo would be a banks sidewinder aftermarket kit

If I go with a 4-6 inch lift I can fit the bigger tires, Or I may just see what I can buy locally to fit on the stock rims.

this is all just stuff I'm researching while I wait to go pick up my motor this week and get it installed.

Banks Sidewinder Turbo System : 82-87 GM Truck H/D 2500 2Dr/4wd; 82-91 Suburban H/D 4wd 6.2 Diesel

right now my #1 is getting it running, and it needs new tires.

I'm also contemplating gutting the interior and having it rhino lined inside

( I have a $5k budgetted to get this truck running and set up )

Ten_Bucks

I'd recommend going with a 4" lift and do some trimming to the fenders to fit some 35s. For the front lift, use some 4" lift springs of whatever brand you prefer. For the rear lift, I'd suggest flipping the rear shackles using a shackle flip kit from either DIY4X, or Offroad Design. That will give you 4" of lift in the rear without using blocks or new rear springs.

Scott

REGULATOR

anyone know the biggest tire I can safely fit on a stock height one with stock rims?

the stock tires are pretty small,

I had 265's on my 2wd ford, and 285's on the 4x4 stock height one I had

the truck just looks funny with the smaller stock size tires.