• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M35A2 owner

chill63

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking around here for a bit, but this is my first post. Anyhow, I just bought my first Deuce. It’s a 1969 Kaiser M35A2. I picked it up from Alfa Heaven, and will be flying up there on September 16th to complete the deal. I believe it was Tom’s enthusiasm about this particular truck that really sold me.

I’ve always been interested in these trucks, but until recently never realized how reasonable they are. It seems like you get a lot of truck for your dollar. I can hardly believe that I will own one soon.

I have checked into a few shipping options with the best quote so far coming in at $2800. Unless I can find something significantly better, my plan is to drive the truck home. I did purchase a round trip plane ticket in case something comes up at the last minute. Tom has said the truck is completely road worthy, and should make the trip just fine. He is servicing it before I pick it up. However, we all know that anything can happen. I plan on carrying an assortment of tools, bulbs, miscellaneous spares and cell phone. I’m not concerned with the conditions of the travel (slow, noisy and rough). I’m looking at that as an adventure. It’s more the major roadside failures that make me a little apprehensive.

I’ve taken the week off of work for this adventure. The current trip plan has me heading south on I-39 out of Wisconsin and picking up I-55 in Illinois to Freeburg (near St. Louis) where I will have a layover at my cousins place. That should get me the first 550 miles. My cousin has an excavation company and will help me go over the truck before the remainder of the trip. If there are any issues with the trip at that point, it’s also a good bail out for me because I can leave the truck there if needed. The remainder of the trip is a 1000 mile leg to Cocoa, FL. I’ll take the back roads out of Freeburg to I-57 south, pickup I-24 in Southern Illinois to Chattanooga, then I-75 south through Georgia, pickup I-10 east in North Florida to I-95 South in Jacksonville, and then straight down I-95 to the house.

I should be leaving Alfa Heaven mid afternoon on Saturday, and plan on going as far as I can that day. I’ll probably sleep in the cab at a truck stop along the way, and then head the rest of the way to my cousin’s on Sunday. I plan on leaving there early Monday morning if all goes well. Then it’s just up to how far I feel like driving in a day.

I know this is probably crazy to some :shock: (it is to most of my friends), but I’m looking to it as a once in a lifetime adventure to drive a Deuce 1500 miles across the US.

I’m sure there will be more to come, and I welcome any tips/advice that you all may have.

Chris

Armada

Congrats and welcome. Know that if you do have any problems along the trip home, a large support group is available just an email away..... [thumbzup]

nopics

rdixiemiller

Take a camera.
If your truck has an airshift t-case, you might want to take a set of de-splined front flanges along and install them before the trip. That will eliminate the front axle drag,improving ride, steering effort, and fuel economy. You can also pop out one of the rear axle shafts and cover the hole with a front flange, this reduces turning radius and improves ride and economy. My truck is good for just a little over 10mpg set up this way, on 1100R20 single radials.
Get the members along your route to get you their contact info in case of a breakdown, or if you just want some company to eat dinner with.
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you are in for an adventure!

chill63

Thanks! Here's a photo of the truck from the Alfa Heaven site. Tom says the truck actually looks better in person than in the photos. He's done some addtional paint work and such to it since they were originally taken and hasn't had a chance to update the photos online yet.

Attachments

rdixiemiller

I would recommend picking up an air mattress and a pup tent when you get your truck. You can pitch the tent in the bed and stretch out on the air mattress. deuce cabs are not comfortable places to sleep if you are tall, or wide. I am both.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, congrats and welcome! :beer:

There is a large group of guys in Ga. so if you have a problem, let us know.

One of our members is on a cross country trek right now (Virginia to California) in his Deuce.

Alfa's trucks look great!

mangus580

rizzo said:
I use the ear muffs also, makes things alot nicer. even on short trips
Whats that? I cant hear you!

:lol:

Build a mapquest image of your route home and post it. It will give everyone a better idea of how you plan to go, and an oppurtunity for people to say they are on your route :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Firstly let me congratulate you on your deuce purchase. Getting a serviced truck makes for a great start on an adventure. Before the trip stuff I can tell you from experience, the deuce cab needs a few things to be sleepable. Besides the possibility of a blanket, make sure you have a smaller and bigger stiff pillow to wedge against the passenger door. Without them sleeping is tough. Does it have a bed cover? Some of the best camping I've ever done was on a military cot in the back of the deuce. The late night pee pee walk can be hell if you forget that first step. Folks think I'm nuts for pushing past 500 miles in a day with the deuce but its not that bad. My then 3 yr old has no problem doing 500 miles in a deuce/day. Things that I would be sure to do before departure. Check that brake fluid. Make sure to have some on hand. Maybe call over to Adirondack Dodge and have a gallon shipped out pronto, store bought DOT 5 is expensive. I would also check the tire pressure and lugs. Check the lugs a few times during the start of the trip. Carry a cheap yard stick to use as a fuel level gauge. I never rely on the factory gauge. Really should be the most of it since its a serviced truck. Some of the best traveling Ive ever done was in a deuce. It's amazing what you see travelling at 55 mph. Also beware of the decent off Monteagle in TN. Its a pretty steep grade so I would keep check on my speed. Another thought is Sam Werner/Ottocraft in Tracy City TN. Its right there at the Monteagle exit and they also sell the DOT5 surplus in gallons. Since you're new to the list do a search on brake bleeders and check out the bleeder I made and others have followed suite. Might be a good thing to have on the trip should you need to bleed the system. Take some type of a strap on head light type flashlight for the trip. Never know when you need cab light and fumbling for a flashlight is a pain. Most deuces don't have dome lights (mine does). In a pinch you can unscrew one of the dash light covers for some light. Along with all the other stuff you're packing, make sure you have an air hose capable of reaching around the truck. You can tap into the valve on the firewall passenger side of buy a gladhand adapter and run air from the RR glad hand. Make sure you have a lug wrench capable of doing the truck. The military one is marginal at best. Lugs are 1 1/2" and the budd thimbles 13/16" square. I'm just down the road a hike in the WPB area so if ya need anything, lemme know. Take your time and enjoy the hike. Oh yeah, don't forget hearing protection and make sure to take RainX. Give the deuce a healthy application before departrure, deuce wipers suck.

rdixiemiller

I have an old rain coat that rides behind the seat for rainy days. Deuce windshields leak pretty heavily, so I throw the old raincoat over my legs to keep them dry when driving in the rain.
The factory wipers really do suck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My windshields barely leak...........just a little bubble blowing that provides hours of amusement......

chill63

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definatley taking notes. I'll pack as much as I can for the trip. I can check two 50 lb. bags on the plane, so I'll try to bring as many tools and such as I can. I may have to purchase some other items when I get there such as fluids and pillows... :jumpin: There's no bed cover, but I may sleep out under the stars if it's a nice night. I've slept in the cab of my F150 a few times, so I'm thinking the Deuce won't be much different.

I've got plenty of the foam earplugs, but I'll pick up a set of ear muffs for the trip also.

Tom said the truck had the whistler turbo, that's all I know right now.

Recovry4x4, I'm encouraged by your 500 mile plus days. That is actually my goal, but I won't push it if I'm needing a break. But I love to drive, so I'm thinking it's possible barring any major problems.

I've definately been thinking about Monteagle. I've gone this route several times back and forth to Illinois. I figure I'll just take my time going down that one. When I figure out how to post the mapquest image I'll get one of those up.

More to come...

houdel

I don't envy your trip! Ear muffs, yes! Yardstick for the fuel tank, double YES! Deuce fuel guages have been known to lie (frequently). Take off the fuel cap, pull up the strainer, rotate 1/3 turn counter clockwise, pull it out and set it down on something clean (like the plastic 3 lb coffee can I keep under my seat just for that purpose). Stick your tank, DO NOT let it get below 3" of fuel. The fuel pump is elevated above the bottom of the tank, so the last 10 gallons or so are unuseable by design! Stop frequently, you will want to anyhow, to take a break and top the tank off. The last thing you want to do is run out of fuel on the Interstate in BFE!

Finally, keep your speed down. Don't run flat out, Deuces REALLY gobble up fuel at high speeds, and with a new and unproven truck you want to make the trip with the least amount of stress on the truck as you can. The "sweet spot" for fuel economy is 1600-2200 rpm, above that and your mileage really suffers. Better to drive easy and slow than have something blow and pay for the tow!

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Chris,

Congrats! Good looking truck. I too am buying a truck from Tom, it's the M1028A1 on the web site. I'm also buying one of his LDT-465-1C's (Engine # K14) for my M275A2. It has a "D" turbo (Garret), non-whistler. He gave me a great deal since I'm buying a truck. It is un-rebuit with only 102 hrs on it. Going to be driving next week from WI to AZ with engine in the back. Truck should ride better with a little (a lot) weight in the back. I'll be leaving on Thursday. Tom's been telling me about the guy who's going to drive the deuce to Florida. He also told me that with the work they have done on the paint, it's a beautiful truck. I really like the color and way it looks in the pictures.

Take care,

Armada

You'll have a good adventure! Most I've driven straight is 400 miles in a duece. After awhile on the highway you'll find the 'sweet' spot as far as speed and rpm's. The engine will just sing.
Constantly monitor the gages. Also, during your stops for fuel, stretching, etc., do a walk around and check for any drivetrain leaks, pop the hood and check fluids and look for any coolant, oil, leaks. You know, the normal stuff. Some seepage is normal, but seals and such can go at anytime.
One more thing, (this happened to me) bring a 2" expandable freeze plug for the block. I had one suddenly let loose and its a show stopper. Quick easy fix though. Pick up some diesel fuel conditioner/injector, injector pump cleaner/lubricant, and add during refueling. Running that through your engine on a good long drive should help too.
Good luck!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally try to say off of the Interstates as much as possable. Not that the truck can't do it. It's the cars doing 80 or 90 MPH. I've come colse to being rearended a few times. I sudjest running about 1800 to 2000 RPM's untill you make it to your cousins place. Give it a chance to prove it's self. Everytime you stop for fuel check the wheel hubs and pinion flanges for overheating. And watch of leaks. The seals may be old and start to leak after a few miles. You may want to take some gear oil with you. If you have a slow leak, then you can get it home by refilling it instead of looking for parts in a unkown area. Good luck and take lots of pics!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks