• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M35A3 owner in Maine

tobyS

We A3 owners were blessed with the government taking something simple and popular and making it unique and an oddball. It's what a committee does. Using locked torque converters never caught on with the 545, so only the 5600 or so A3's had them. The input shaft from the TC and pump are larger diameter with the locking torque converter, I don't know about the bolt pattern on the TC, as I don't have a 545 out (I have one in a bus), to check.

That said, the guts of a 545 can rebuild all but a couple seals of the 1545, so there is no reason a tranny cannot be upgraded with frictions and seals as long as you don't wait until it's really trashed. My whole piston melted---gone--- and I found new for really reasonable cost and am 100% confident in the rebuild. Do I need a 3L and 4L...no, but if I wanted to go highway a lot, it would help.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Toby,
I sent you a PM, my A3 trans (1545) is in need of the kit/rebuild, looking for options.
JC

tobyS

Toby,
I sent you a PM, my A3 trans (1545) is in need of the kit/rebuild, looking for options.
JC
I replied but I'm not sure I answered your question.

You buy the seal kit for the 545 and there are two or three additional seals different at the front. You may or may not need the aluminum piston, but they are not too expensive. A supply house can get them with the seal kit and should have the info. I wouldn't buy a rebuild kit, they get rather pricey and have a lot of stuff you may not need. Sure, it's nice to have new frictions and plates throughout but you may only need them in the 4/R clutch pack. I'll look at fleebay, seems there is a seal kit in my "watching".

Start here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allison-AT...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

We A3 owners were blessed with the government taking something simple and popular and making it unique and an oddball. It's what a committee does. Using locked torque converters never caught on with the 545, so only the 5600 or so A3's had them. The input shaft from the TC and pump are larger diameter with the locking torque converter, I don't know about the bolt pattern on the TC, as I don't have a 545 out (I have one in a bus), to check.

That said, the guts of a 545 can rebuild all but a couple seals of the 1545, so there is no reason a tranny cannot be upgraded with frictions and seals as long as you don't wait until it's really trashed. My whole piston melted---gone--- and I found new for really reasonable cost and am 100% confident in the rebuild. Do I need a 3L and 4L...no, but if I wanted to go highway a lot, it would help.
Aint that the truth about the government:) Who does your transmission work, especially that lock up converter?

Awol

Awol, thank you! Whatchya got for Pontiacs? Would love to see some pics!
I own a 71 Trans Am and an 81 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car.

The 81 is currently under the knife, and is a bare shell. I'm currently doing floors and other misc rust repair. The 71 is a constant project, but I have it at the point where I've been driving it a lot when the weather is nice, so I'm currently happy. After the 81 is done, the 71 is getting blown apart.

Here's two pics. I don't wanna hijack your thread. The 81 looks like it got hit with a grenade lol.

Highway shot.jpg20180102_131435.jpg

Last edited:

tobyS

I just want to add that the man who rebuilt my 1545 had to buy a very expensive manual that does include the 1545 specifically, thus all of the settings and adjustments are specified. They should not try a rebuild without the details the manual has in it, according to the man I had do mine, who has Allison certification (and a book I paid for).

Sorry to distract your welcome to something so gloomy as tranny problems. Have fun with the A3! We are alike, in that building it is the fun part! The problem with that, is that what is finished is entirely overshadowed by the junk sitting for the next project.

Last edited:
I own a 71 Trans Am and an 81 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car.

The 81 is currently under the knife, and is a bare shell. I'm currently doing floors and other misc rust repair. The 71 is a constant project, but I have it at the point where I've been driving it a lot when the weather is nice, so I'm currently happy. After the 81 is done, the 71 is getting blown apart.

Here's two pics. I don't wanna hijack your thread. The 81 looks like it got hit with a grenade lol.

View attachment 718334View attachment 718335
Very nice Awol! Thank you for sharing!

I just want to add that the man who rebuilt my 1545 had to buy a very expensive manual that does include the 1545 specifically, thus all of the settings and adjustments are specified. They should not try a rebuild without the details the manual has in it, according to the man I had do mine, who has Allison certification (and a book I paid for).

Sorry to distract your welcome to something so gloomy as tranny problems. Have fun with the A3! We are alike, in that building it is the fun part! The problem with that, is that what is finished is entirely overshadowed by the junk sitting for the next project.
No problem at all tobyS, I appreciate the input and any help I can get on keeping this rig in tip top shape.

tobyS

I went and got a phone number off their label and it seemed to work....931-528-7581

I went and got a phone number off their label and it seemed to work....931-528-7581
I tried PM you, but it said your mail box is full or not accepting any mail :) Thats the number I used, press 1 for converters, sends to an operator at Transtar, asked for Cookeville location, she said they are closed only Nashville and Memphis are open.

tobyS

I tried PM you, but it said your mail box is full or not accepting any mail :) Thats the number I used, press 1 for converters, sends to an operator at Transtar, asked for Cookeville location, she said they are closed only Nashville and Memphis are open.
I emptied some space in PM but this is info that others may want, so please post here.

That number is correct. She (Jessica) gave you a local dealer in Maryland. They can arrange the R&R but you can also send it directly to Transtar at Cooksville. Cooksville is open and they still do rebuild there. She thought you could exchange it locally, not realizing our 1545 is "special".

To get a quote you have to send the TC to them at 741 Dacco Drive, Cooksville, where they disassemble it, list what needs repaired or replaced and then they can quote the repairs.

Anthony is the one in Transtar Dacco R& R at Cooksville that did my work. He does most of the specials and knows our TC well. Jessica is your contact if you send it direct. Her email is jfinley@transtar1.com

Last edited:
That number is correct. She (Jessica) gave you a local dealer in Maryland to contact to arrange the R and R but you can also send it directly to Transtar at Cooksville. Cooksville is open and they still do rebuild there. She thought you could exchange it locally, not realizing it is special.

To get a quote you have to send the TC to them at 741 Dacco Drive, Cooksville, where they disassemble it, list what needs repaired or replaced and then they can quote the repairs.

Anthony is the one in Transtar Dacco R& R at Cooksville that did my work. He does most of the specials and knows our TC well. Jessica is your contact if you send it direct. Her email is jfindley@transtar1.com
Thank you tobyS, on top of that, Maryland isn't local to me either, I'm in Maine :) I'm sending her an email now.

tobyS

Thank you tobyS, on top of that, Maryland isn't local to me either, I'm in Maine :) I'm sending her an email now.
She may have said Maine. I'm sure she will help you. I could not find anyplace else in the US to rebuild the TC for "locking" 1545...so be very nice to them.

tobyS, can you please check that email address and confirm? I've sent a couple emails to it, and it keeps coming back delivery delayed. Thought it may have been my work email, so I tried the gmail account, same thing.

Also, on your torque converter, have you noticed if there are any identification numbers stamped on it? If so, could you post what they are? Thank You!

tobyS

tobyS, can you please check that email address and confirm? I've sent a couple emails to it, and it keeps coming back delivery delayed. Thought it may have been my work email, so I tried the gmail account, same thing.

Also, on your torque converter, have you noticed if there are any identification numbers stamped on it? If so, could you post what they are? Thank You!
I added a "d" in her name, try; jfinley@transtar1.com I'll edit the prior post

Last edited: