• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M35A3 owner in Maine

tobyS

Thank you tobyS! If you get a chance to see anything on that TC, please let me know. I'm thinking it has 275LU on it somewhere, just want to verify.
I'll check tomorrow.

Do you have yours out?

Have you found a mechanic that can do Allison...preferably already having a tech book with the 1545 in it?

Last edited:
I do not have mine out yet, probably wont be for a couple more months because I've been called up for work out of state. I have a quote request for New England Detroit Diesel Allison, but have no reply from them. I filled out a few quote requests from all over the country, the only folks who did reply were out in Washington. They were able to source a new converter and rebuilt kit, but wanted nearly $6k for them, $7K for the rebuild. That was shocking to me, so I wanted to see what some others came back as.
I'm trying to verify the size and any number on the converter because I may have found a new one for cheap. A quick tape measure of yours should show the Diameter 13.5", Overall Height 7.200"

tobyS

I measure about 13.25 but I could have been off 1/4"... so same OD. I measured the body and it stood 6", but I did not measure the height over the input tube (to the pump). It could be 1.2" higher than the body. The input into the pump is 2" diameter. That is what is different on a 545 tranny (pump input size). I have a cap over it right now, so couldn't get to the bare metal. I could not find stamped numbers.

If you're pricing, have them price a rebuilt 545 installed instead of rebuilding your 1545. Find a core to give them and keep your 1545.

tobyS

Thank you for the measurements. Just to be clear, the slotted input hub is 2" OD correct? The pilot OD which is the capped outer part of the converter is 1.7"?
Yes, the pilot into the flywheel is around 1.7" and the input into the tranny is 2". the slotted portion drives the pump any time the engine is turning. The 545 has a smaller tranny (slotted) pump input.

Before you buy a TC for the 1545 (unless really cheap), lots of places should have access to the 545 and it might save a lot on cost. Is it a highway truck that could get +2 mph? If not, consider changing now before you buy parts to rebuild.