• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M818

Lorax

RE: Awesome!

Yeah, the emergency stop was reset before trying to start her up again. It was a breath of fresh air to smell the exhaust once she started up that first time.

On a different note, I see how to post pictures when starting a post, but don't see how to post more pictures further inside the post, such as in this particular reply. How do I post the pictures of the latest part of the adventure?

reb87

you will notice the standard reply box at the bottom of the page is titled "quick reply". If you want the reply box with the easy picture posting click on "post reply" at the top or bottom of the page. This will bring up a more detailed re page. Cool m818, Im glad you got it started.
Ross/nebraska

Lorax

Thanks Armada. I've had a picture of your 818 as the 'puter background for a while. Last time going up to work on the 818, I checked out what was in the storage box behind the cab. There were a few things, but nothing compared to what you found in your's.

Matter of fact, your 818 is the reason I'm thinking of repainting mine tan.

Armada

Thanks for the comps! That's awesome!
I just finished restoring an M146 shop trailer (you have to have something to tow behind the M818.. lol), and I'll be posting some before and after pictures soon. There are some pics of the trailer hooked to the tractor. The trailer is now tan to match the tractor and they look great together. I'll probably put them in the trailer section. Best of luck with your new toy, it sure is in great condition!

70deuce

Sweet looking truck. Very clean camo paint job. Too bad they painted over the unit markings. As stated you need something big to pull behind it. Find something like this. This thing becomes a mobile club headquarters. You won't be blowing even mopeds away off the light but it sure is a fun rig to drive.

Attachments

powerhouseduece

i dont mean to jack your topic in any way but alot of the m818 owners are following this. now i know the saying "ask a stupid question get a stupid answer" but do u need a CDL to drive thease things? i know they are tractors but in maryland i know that if you just title it as historic it doseent matter about the wieght as long as you dont drive it every day or use it in your buisness. do you guys have your CDL??

70deuce

In Colorado you do not need a CDL. The truck is registered as an historic truck/tractor for private use only. My deuce is registered the same way. The license plate has a picture of an old Kenworth tractor on it. I do have mine but I already had it. And yes the trailer needs to be camoed. One of these days we will have a camo party and paint the trailer to match. However the cost of the paint to cover this giant billboard may make that a project "somewhere out there"

Phil

70deuce

You know as long as it will take to camo that thing that alot adult beverages would be consumed which be OK because of the nature of camo paint jobs!!

Lorax

Painting the trailer, starting at one end, the paintjob would get odder and odder as more inspiration juice was consumed.

It's my understanding from reading the Virginia codes, that using the vehicle strictly for personal use, and registering as antique, a CDL is not required.

70deuce, did you paint your tractor? That paint looks fresh.

70deuce

I agree on what the trailer might look like after liquid lubrication. Might set a pattern type for the military. Yes the tractor was painted recently. Top of hood and hardtop still needs to be done. When the trailer matches, the rig will look pretty good. Before and after pics follow. Wiil be driving the rig to Lowry Glory Days here in the Denver area along with some other club member's trucks if anyone in the area would liike to visit us. Its Sep 6 and 7.

Attachments

70deuce

Rattle cans and we will see if Aervo or what they are called have corrected their green turning to pink problem. Its been sitting in the Colorado sun for 6 months and so far OK. We will see.

Lorax

Update.

Brought the 818 home today. After checking fluids, and filling the fuel filter canister with fuel, she fired right up. After 15 minutes or so of the RPMs going up and down a couple hundred by themselves, the engine smoothed out and ran strong.

One thing is for sure, driving a 5 ton, and expecting it to drive like a deuce won't work. My deuces are a pleasure to drive, and so is this "new" 818, just in different ways. Barely touch the brakes on the 818 and she'll put ya thru the windshield. Power steering...nothing else can be said.

A few things to fix that were discovered on the drive home, but thats to be expected. Wound up being almost 100 miles home.

Will post pics from the chase vehicle soon, but until then here's one showing all the toys at home. Left to right is the 818, an M201(?) trailer, and the 2 deuces. Running out of parking room, but now have less grass to cut.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks