• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M818

Lorax

Update. Chase vehicle photos.

After all the worrying about why at first the engine would not start, then finding the small air leak in the fuel line, she drove home like a dream.

Pulled the tool box off under the cab today and found the feed line going to the filter, and return line coming back both had fuel dripping from them at about the same location. After a couple hours or so spent removing the old lines and installing new ones, hopefully that air leak is fixed. Wanted to bleed the fuel line and start her up, but Hanna had started dropping rain around here.

Enjoy the pictures. More to follow as additional repairs are made.

Attachments

Lorax

Update. Been fix'n an paint'n stuff.

On the drive home, got a couple miles from home when something went "pop" under the hood and I started loosing air pressure. Oh crud. Shifted into neutral and watch the pressure gage. Pressure got down just low enough to make the alarm buzz, then the shhhhhh sound stopped and pressure built back up again to normal. WTF? This cycled over and over, but never got below about 60 psi. Since I was only a couple miles from home decided to limp her home on that first day.

Well, found the air problem and it's shown in the first pic below.

Found that the fuel feed line and return lines were also dripping fuel, which was causing the loss-of-prime problem. Problem fixed in pic 2 below. Bypassed the selector valve until it's been removed and cleaned. The rest of the pics are before/after paint pics.

Attachments

MilitaryRestoration

lorax - i think we may have to have a competition some day... your truck looks great! but of course I'm going to say mines better hehe...but really yours looks great! What color did you use again? And i had the same air line break on my truck so i went to home depot and bought a couple adapters and made that fitting into a pressure fit style...hasnt come off once now. I can take some pictures if youd like of how i did it...And i love that picture of your three trucks!!! looks like they are just hanging out hiding and waiting :)

kcimb

That's hot.

(I seem to be saying that a lot nowadays. I need to hurry up and get my armor and get a tractor to pull it around)

Are there any trailers around that are military, work with the m818, rated to 15 tons, appropriate for a 13.5t tracked APC?

Lorax

MilitaryRestoration, please do post pics of your fix. All I did was replace what was there. If there is a better way so much the better.

kcimb, trailers don't show up around here too often. The closest GL location that has vehicles is Portsmouth Va. They'll have lots of trucks, then no trucks for a while. Every now and then a trailer will show up.

Speaking of trailers, just looked up a M127(?). That looks like a perfect match for a M818. Of course, anything is a match when it comes to MVs. Looking forward to seeing more MVs this weekend at a local show too.

Lorax

Update. WINCH INSTALL!!!
Picked up a winch "kit" yesterday and today decided to work on getting the bumper off the 818. Based on the work it took to get my deuce bumper off when installing her winch, I figured getting the 818's bumper off would be an all day job. My deuce's previous operator tack welded bolts to the frame/bumper...lots and lots of hacksaw blades and colorful language that day.

Anyhoo, the 818's front bumper came right off. After some cleaning and painting, the bumper extensions went right on. Something had to be wrong, ain't nothin suppose to be this easy.

Picked the winch up by hand (riiiight, with the engine lift) and slid it onto the extensions until it wouldn't move any further. Got a block of wood and a sledge and bumped the winch back and forth, slowly moving it toward the radiator. Got tired of doing that after 30 minutes, so, a tree was enlisted. Parked the 818 nose against a tree with a board between the tree and the front of the winch. With someone watching, and the 818 pushing, the winch slowly slid right into place. Bingo! Put the bumper back on and called it a night.

5 hours today. A lot quicker than expected. PTO and drive shaft still need to be installed.

Attachments

MilitaryRestoration

flipping the bumper is opinion'd especially with the 5ton because it sits higher than the deuce's. And if you ever think you are going to put bigger tires on, the way that lorax has it, is the best... my 2cents

Lorax - great truck... as soon as I get my transfer case fixed the winch kit i bought goes on mine, along with convoy lights as well :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks