• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Marker lights causing shorts

catskillpond

Four months ago I purchased surplus marker lights on line. They were not cheap made ones they were all aluminum had rubber boots and good leads,installed an additional marker and turn signal light on each outside corner. Everything worked fine till last week flasher went replaced that. Turn signal arm went next, took that apart the contacts and wires inside were shorted out.
I tried service drive check headlights and park lights breaker inside of service switch starts clicking.

Disconnected all the wires running to front and rear turn signals tested from the turn signal to each light wire, nothing shorted same with headlights and parking lights then the dash lights. After three hours I noticed one of the new marker lights the wire boot on the back was cracked [had these separated when checking main vehicle lights] checked the others 6 out of ten were all deteriorated seems these got the sunlight. Did not think it would be new lights causing the problem still took one apart it seems the plastic insert that holds and insulates the hot lead from ground on the socket had cracked in small pieces and shorting to ground. The other five had the same problems the worst ones were on the front I'm guessing the vibration from the engine or possibly heat from bulb. Still had three new ones in the box under a magnifying glass you could see the cracks in the plastic insulator.
:deadhorse::deadhorse:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the US mfg have mfg names and the applicable MS spec number. You have import copies.

JohnnyBM931A2

Four months ago I purchased surplus marker lights on line. They were not cheap made ones they were all aluminum had rubber boots and good leads,installed an additional marker and turn signal light on each outside corner. Everything worked fine till last week flasher went replaced that. Turn signal arm went next, took that apart the contacts and wires inside were shorted out.
I tried service drive check headlights and park lights breaker inside of service switch starts clicking.

Disconnected all the wires running to front and rear turn signals tested from the turn signal to each light wire, nothing shorted same with headlights and parking lights then the dash lights. After three hours I noticed one of the new marker lights the wire boot on the back was cracked [had these separated when checking main vehicle lights] checked the others 6 out of ten were all deteriorated seems these got the sunlight. Did not think it would be new lights causing the problem still took one apart it seems the plastic insert that holds and insulates the hot lead from ground on the socket had cracked in small pieces and shorting to ground. The other five had the same problems the worst ones were on the front I'm guessing the vibration from the engine or possibly heat from bulb. Still had three new ones in the box under a magnifying glass you could see the cracks in the plastic insulator.
:deadhorse::deadhorse:
Good times... Hey, at least you figured out what the problem was :)

catskillpond

The marker lights came out of Brazil IN 47634 that was the return address. I did not want to name the vendor as I feel it was not his fault and so I did not get another warning from Uruguay [ where is that on the map must be a retired veteran] .The insulation on the wires started separating just trashed them and got others.

The nsn is6220 00 726 1926 SKU # 6220007231916 Manuf 8/12

Last edited: