• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member, buying first M1009 Tomorrow (HOPEFULLY)

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
kswagg720: Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy!!! :naner::jumpin::driver::cookoo: Thank you for your service to our country!! :)
I'm thankful you've spent some time researching M1009's before buying one cold. Here are a few tips. Let me preface them by explaining that I bought my M1009 9 years ago. It's been an interesting journey, but one I'm thankful I embarked upon. I use my M1009 as a daily driver when I need some 'diesel therapy' and don't feel like driving my CVPI :cool:.

- Join a local MV club. Find someone that owns a CUCV that would be willing to help you inspect the one you want.
- Keep reading. Keep researching. Read the TM's. Read the Stickies. Research part numbers. Familiarize yourself with every major system on these trucks. They are not complicated, but they do take time to understand.
- DO NOT SELL YOUR CURRENT DAILY DRIVER UNTIL YOU FEEL LIKE YOUR M1009 IS RELIABLE. EVEN WHEN YOU DO FEEL LIKE IT'S RELIABLE, DO NOT SELL IT! I've had a few experiences where AAA was my friend, and the flat bed truck driver did a great job delivering my M1009 to my driveway or my mechanic's shop. Having my CVPI meant that I still had transportation while my CUCV was down. Some parts are getting rare and are online order only, or have to be ordered from the main warehouses by Advance Auto because they don't stock the parts in the stores as much. Keep this in mind when working on your truck. Another example - I just found out that the brake lights aren't working on my CUCV. I don't have time to fix it right now due to work, but I still have transportation.
- Check the rear axle for wetness. If it is wet, there is gear oil leaking out of the axle seals. The gear oil can soak the rear brake pads, effectively disabling the rear brakes. This can be repaired by any shop that has experience with Dana axles. It's not a big deal to repair but it could be negotiating tool for you to get the price a little lower.
- Don't focus on making modifications right after you buy the truck. Get to know it first. Here's a thread that will help you when you get to that point. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146375-Cucv-upgrades
- Sound insulation is mandatory if you plan on installing a stereo. These trucks are resonating chambers (drums) with the windows closed. They are LOUD. Insulation will also help keep the truck cooler after you install the A/C.

WatchDawg - My M1009 was converted to 12 volt so the factory A/C system would be easier to install. The driver side alternator was replaced with an HR-6 compressor with the factory brackets. The 12 volt conversion has allowed me to use the bus bar in the passenger compartment to run accessories. I have a dual band amateur radio hooked up to it. I built a 12 volt dual outlet power box with a switch and a 15 amp blade fuse so I can power fans and charge my cell phone from inside the cab. The 12 volt conversion has also made it A LOT easier to replace the starter on my truck.

DSCN4053.jpgI was in your place this fall when I was bidding on a M1031 Maintenance truck. Got it and had to put it to immediate use (other truck of 25 years finally had enough) so did not have all the time I wanted for working out the bugs gently. On the larger tire issue I needed some more clearance for this one trip I made out into the back country where there was no road so put on some 37 x 14.5x16.5 tires I had laying around. If you are willing to do some cutting on all the fender corners front and rear and move the lower part of the front rear wheel well back some then this tire and wheel combo works without any lifting. My front springs have sagged over trucks lifetime also. In this picture I hauled a small cabin so was heavily loaded and hitting some good bumps and even with some massive chains on never rubbed any tires or was unable to make full turns on the front end. I converted back to regular tires for everyday wood hauling after however. The larger tires did roll me faster for the same RPM but since there are no roads going anywhere far here highway driving isn't an issue.
Lastly mine came without a glow plug control card so I had little choice but to convert to manual as cold weather was upon me but now I'm happy with it and just run 12 volts to the plugs and bypassed the resistor. All else is 12 volts anyway except starter which I like 24 volt as it seems to turn over like a champ even at 30 below which we had in Tanana this morning.
Steel Solders is a great site - I have learned so much here and fixed so many things with info learned from everyone. The forum makes owning the truck so much more. Good luck and hope it works out for you. Stan

Last edited:

kswagg720

WOW!!! Thank you all for the awesome first hand knowledge, tips, tricks and "hard-way-learned" experiences. Unfortunately, I was unable to make the 1 1/2 hour drive to look at the M1009, and it has since been sold. I'm pretty well stuck on getting one, so I just have to bide my time until the opportunity presents itself. I well definitely continue to do research and be as active as NOOB can be on the forums. And thanks for the warm welcome everyone.:wink: