• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member - I'm in it for the long haul - My BAe 2009 - M1093A1

StratoCrewzr

My BAe 2009 M1093A1.jpg

Hawker 1000 Flight.JPG

I'm excited to be here. Last year, 2020, brought us Covid 19 and a shortage of recreational vehicles. I knew I'd avoid RV parks and campgrounds and extensively looked for a quality 4x4 "campulance" project. That directed me to a dream I thought I'd never drop the hammer on. But I did. Purchased a clean and beautiful 2009 BAe M1093A1. Now the journey begins. The journey towards a fully capable, off the grid, OVERLAND begins. I'm expecting it to be 5 to 10 years. But I plan retiring and spending a fair amount of time driving this around North and South America.

I feel like I've come full circle with BAe (British Aerospace). 24 years ago I was type rated in a BAe-125 Hawker 1000 corporate jet. I've been flying various corporate jets ever since as a career. I'm looking forward to spending more time in those remote locations I drool over from 47 thousand feet. I grew up in Alaska and experienced a considerable amount of time camping and flying DHC-2 de Havilland Beavers on floats and skis while living and working there. So basically my favorite flying was that which was spent in the weeds low over rivers and mountain tops. Now having lived in Arizona for the past 21 years, I'm ready to get back to my roots but in a roaming, small home moving, sort of way. I can imagine a living room with a phenomenal view. One which happens to sit atop 3 axels. I can barely wait to sit on my Overland's porch while camped atop a mountain, or perhaps by a river, while I enjoy the setting sun.

I'll be spending considerable time here perusing and looking for the answers to all I seek as I take one step at a time to learn my Truck from the bottom up. Discovering my vehicle was of the Air Drop variety, I imagine it too has a flight log book somewhere and makes it that much more special to me. I look forward to meeting many of you one day at a meet up somewhere. Of course we all know that "somewhere" doesn't matter when compared to this very special vehicle which brings us together and unites us.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 830871

View attachment 830872

I'm excited to be here. Last year, 2020, brought us Covid 19 and a shortage of recreational vehicles. I knew I'd avoid RV parks and campgrounds and extensively looked for a quality 4x4 "campulance" project. That directed me to a dream I thought I'd never drop the hammer on. But I did. Purchased a clean and beautiful 2009 BAe M1093A1. Now the journey begins. The journey towards a fully capable, off the grid, OVERLAND begins. I'm expecting it to be 5 to 10 years. But I plan retiring and spending a fair amount of time driving this around North and South America.

I feel like I've come full circle. 24 years ago I was type rated in a BAe-125 Hawker 1000 corporate jet. I've been flying various corporate jets ever since as a career. I'm looking forward to spending more time in those remote locations I drool over from 47 thousand feet. I grew up in Alaska and experienced a considerable amount of time camping and flying DHC-2 de Havilland Beavers on floats and skis while living and working there. So basically my favorite flying was that which was spent in the weeds low over rivers and mountain tops. Now having lived in Arizona for the past 21 years, I'm ready to get back to my roots but in a roaming, small home moving, sort of way. I can imagine a living room with a phenomenal view. One which happens to sit atop 3 axels. I can barely wait to sit on my Overland's porch while camped atop a mountain, or perhaps by a river, while I enjoy the setting sun.

I'll be spending considerable time here perusing and looking for the answers to all I seek as I take one step at a time to learn my Truck from the bottom up. Discovering my vehicle was of the Air Drop variety, I imagine it too has a flight log book somewhere and makes it that much more special to me. I look forward to meeting many of you one day at a meet up somewhere. Of course we all know that "somewhere" doesn't matter when compared to this very special vehicle which brings us together and unites us.
Congratulations on your new purchase! Very nice looking truck for sure.
Be sure to gather up your own personal copies of the Technical Manuals (TM's) as a new member.

TM-9-2320-366-(10, 20,24,&34) is what you need. (Eleven)
Your truck is part of the M1083 SERIES of MTV's.

Welcome to the group! Be sure to post more pictures too.
That will let everybody can offer up opinions and suggestions.

StratoCrewzr

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes. Loved the pancake pic. That's why I've never jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. Besides being terrified of heights. The shoes were on it when I bought it from MME. They may have put them on as they did LED lights all around a few other improvements.

I've been looking for manuals. Appreciate the assistance. Looking forward to sitting at the feet of so many experienced owners here. Trying to pick up a newer M1082 matching trailer but not in a hurry. Would like to drag a Jeep or Side by Side around one day. So many hopes. Got to pace myself and dig in.

StratoCrewzr

- Overland Project

2009 BAe M1093A1 6x6 5 ton

OEM:
------- Caterpillar C7 6 Cylinder Turbocharged Diesel
------- Allison 7 Speed Auto Trans
------- Push Button 6 Wheel Drive
------- Pac-brake Engine Exhaust Brake
------- Factory Heat & Air Conditioning
------- Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS)

CUSTOM:
........... LED Lighting All The Way Around
........... Michelin 46" 395/85R20 Tires
........... CTIS Wheel Covers (awaiting installation)

SOON: (3-year plan)
.......... Complete Interior Overhaul (Sound insulation, Air Ride Seats, Cameras, Radios, Steering Wheel)
.......... 14' Custom Renovated Ambulance Shelter (temporary until full custom ability)
.......... Additional Large Capacity Fuel Tank
.......... New AGM Batteries with Management System
.......... Cruise Control
.......... Cab Brush Guard and Roof Rack
.......... Custom Front Bumper and Wench

SOMEDAY: (6-10 year plan)
.......... Large Custom RV Overland Shelter to replace Ambulance Shelter
.......... Front to Back rebuild and Paint

Additions:
M1082 LMTV Trailer for Jeep or Side by Side ATV

AZ-M1093A1.JPG

StratoCrewzr

Being so new to this, I've got a lot more questions than answers. I'm sure some responses will be more of an opinion, but I value those too and welcome any comments you care to share.

Soooo, what do you guys think about lubricants?

- I'm of the understanding that the C7 Caterpillar Engine and Allison Transmission BOTH, while in the service with the Military, were fed SAE 10W-40 Standard Non-Synthetic oil such as Shell Rotell Motor Oil. Word is that Synthetic oil tends to leak and cause problems. A large operator and seller of these vehicles advised me to run SAE 15W-40 Standard Non-Synthetic. I will primarily drive it in warmer climates and keep it in Arizona.

- Additionally, the Meritor Axles and Wheel Hubs use a GL-4 Standard Non-Synthetic 8090 Gear Oil.

(Note: I read a military study where they experimented with a Synthetic SAE 75W-140 and had mileage improvements as well as others)

On this subject, How often should the above fluids be changed out? Filters?

For the multitude of Grease Fittings, I'm using "NAPA Multi-Purpose Extreme Pressure Wheel Bearing and Chassis Grease" and I suppose just top those off ever so often.

---------------

Has anyone changed the gearing for faster highway speed? What are your thoughts?

---------------

Anyone have recommendations for the following:

- REPLACEMENTS SEATS: Excellent fit, comfort, and durability Air Ride Seats for all cabin seats. Recommendations?

- STEERING WHEEL REPLACEMENT: A Heftier, thicker Steering wheel replacement? Perhaps more of a high-end RV or Semi type. Recommendations?

- CRUISE CONTROL: Installation of a High Quality and High-Reliability Cruise Control System. Recommendations?

- SOUND INSULATION: I about drove off the road when I first heard the TRAIN FAN kick in. That should be the main thing any seller warns you about. I want to protect the occupants from the heat and all exterior noise in the cab. Recommendations?

----- Thank you so much for any suggestions or thoughts. Looking forward to learning this beast and knowing how to keep it healthy on my own. Won't be able to do so without a lot of help from folks like yourselves.

`

Third From Texas

There are threads on each item of your entire punch list here. Granted, the search function does leave a lot to be desired but it's the place to start. This is a super helpful community but you need to know two things: 1) you're expected to learn how to use the manual (aka: TM, aka: rtfm, aka: rtftm), 2) Search does work (sometimes)

Lot's of seat threads in here. Range from junk yard, to new take-offs, to custom $1000 RV seats, to racing seats, to air ride. Takeoff minivan second row seats with armrests and headrests seem to be the popular entry point.
*Side note: being an A1R you actually have suspension seats (the older trucks basically sit on a metal plate). You also have a rigid cab (no air ride)
*Note your OEM seating height in relation to the engine hump (air ride seats are going to add 8"-14" or more (my little legs can't reach the pedals)

Steering wheel replacement has been done. Most use a Freightliner Cascadia wheel and an adaptor (ACELA started the trend). Search Amazon: "Freightliner Cascadia wheel". Some drivers and folks in trucking say they are not very comfortable wheels. The key is the adaptor, though. A good hub adaptor and you can bolt up a bunch of various aftermarket steering wheels. It's basically the spline count you are looking for in the adaptor.
*Personal preference is to keep as big a wheel as possible for the leverage

Cruise control is easy-peasy on a C7. A couple threads here as well as some YouTube vids on how-to. There is even a community member who sells a kit (search eBay "lmtv cruise control")

Tons of threads and build threads here on sound and heat insulation for cab. Basically Lizard Skin and insulation mat/dampener.

Bryce is the go-to guy for highspeed gears (comes to you) but there are a few others,

The TM will tell you about periodic maintenance schedules for fluids, etc.

As far as which type of lube or oil is best...I'm staying out of that can of worms

StratoCrewzr

@Third From Texas
Thank you so much for the tremendous info in your post. Sir, please accept 1000 friendship credits!

The previous intel @Mullaney provided on which TM to download was invaluable and one of the best welcome gifts. I downloaded them all last night and will spend countless hours combing over them in the near future. I've already employed them somewhat as I' am needing some front differential work due to driving it 700 miles in a day. On my second try, I believe I've found a place in Phoenix that is willing to give it a shot. Fortunately, I've spent much of my life in similar technical manuals. However, I still don't enjoy it very much. But I do realize how invaluable they'll prove to be.

Your insight on procuring seats, steering wheels, insulation, cruise control, etc will get me started on good footing and it really does help. I'm looking forward to the journey and customization. Every small increment of progress will make it personal that much more. Essentially becoming a member of the family nonetheless. One I can even pass down to the next generation.

I suspected a discussion on ideal lubricants would possibly end up getting me into the weeds. From the first few moments after it's purchase and exploring such answers, I realized this would be like asking what is better, blonde, brunette or ginger. So I'll tread lightly for sure and appreciate the heads up. I've been taking extensive notes long before I drove it off the lot and imagine I'll be writing 'em down at my last breath. I'll start doing my daily reading of the forums as well. Much more before I throw out another punch list. I owe this community at least that. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute soon as well. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Being so new to this, I've got a lot more questions than answers. I'm sure some responses will be more of an opinion, but I value those too and welcome any comments you care to share.

Soooo, what do you guys think about lubricants?

- I'm of the understanding that the C7 Caterpillar Engine and Allison Transmission BOTH, while in the service with the Military, were fed SAE 10W-40 Standard Non-Synthetic oil such as Shell Rotell Motor Oil. Word is that Synthetic oil tends to leak and cause problems. A large operator and seller of these vehicles advised me to run SAE 15W-40 Standard Non-Synthetic. I will primarily drive it in warmer climates and keep it in Arizona.

- Additionally, the Meritor Axles and Wheel Hubs use a GL-4 Standard Non-Synthetic 8090 Gear Oil.

(Note: I read a military study where they experimented with a Synthetic SAE 75W-140 and had mileage improvements as well as others)

On this subject, How often should the above fluids be changed out? Filters?

For the multitude of Grease Fittings, I'm using "NAPA Multi-Purpose Extreme Pressure Wheel Bearing and Chassis Grease" and I suppose just top those off ever so often.

---------------

Has anyone changed the gearing for faster highway speed? What are your thoughts?

---------------

Anyone have recommendations for the following:

- REPLACEMENTS SEATS: Excellent fit, comfort, and durability Air Ride Seats for all cabin seats. Recommendations?

- STEERING WHEEL REPLACEMENT: A Heftier, thicker Steering wheel replacement? Perhaps more of a high-end RV or Semi type. Recommendations?

- CRUISE CONTROL: Installation of a High Quality and High-Reliability Cruise Control System. Recommendations?

- SOUND INSULATION: I about drove off the road when I first heard the TRAIN FAN kick in. That should be the main thing any seller warns you about. I want to protect the occupants from the heat and all exterior noise in the cab. Recommendations?

----- Thank you so much for any suggestions or thoughts. Looking forward to learning this beast and knowing how to keep it healthy on my own. Won't be able to do so without a lot of help from folks like yourselves.

`
Lubricants... Just remember, if it was working before - changing it to something else may not improve your situation. The military has plenty of money. If they thought 10 kinds of oil would make it better, your money would have paid for it.

On the other hand: If you think you need to have transmission fluid in the transmission BE SURE you get the old stuff out. If you aren't sure what is in there, there are companies for oil analysis. They can tell you what is in that metal box between the frame rails.

Happy to see you are already getting good information from "the guys".
We have several ladies with MV's too so the term is generic!

StratoCrewzr

Lubricants... Just remember, if it was working before - changing it to something else may not improve your situation. The military has plenty of money. If they thought 10 kinds of oil would make it better, your money would have paid for it.

On the other hand: If you think you need to have transmission fluid in the transmission BE SURE you get the old stuff out. If you aren't sure what is in there, there are companies for oil analysis. They can tell you what is in that metal box between the frame rails.

Happy to see you are already getting good information from "the guys".
We have several ladies with MV's too so the term is generic!

Great advice on lubricants. Nuff said on that I guess.

Learning curve was steep today with much metal shavings found in the front axle. At a minimum it looks like a Bearing and Seal replacement. I've received tremendous assistance from the guys at MME on this.

Speaking of guys. I hesitated for a moment as I typed that, being so new to this group. I'm well aware that behind almost any dude with one of these is a truly understanding woman and I've no doubt some of the best rides out there today are owned and driven by amazing women. I love women and have learned over the years who is really running everything on this blue orb. I call everyone I'm friends with by the term guys. Hopefully it was understood and I believe it was as nobody other than the best and finest owners and fans of these vehicles are present here.

I'm fortunate to have found you all and hope I can earn my place here. You all are awesome and some of the best guys on the planet...and yes that of course means the wonderful women owners and operators as well. I hope to be fortunate enough one day to find one who will want to co-own with me and keep me warm on those scary nights in the middle of nowhere.

B-Dog

Wow, tough crowd.
I'm not sure what MME service includes, if anything but I doubt it's a full rebuild on the axles, not for $30k. It says right on their website, very clearly, no warranty. I'm glad to hear the MME guys are helping, they've always offered top notch service & parts for me.
For a full rebuild, expect to pay more than MME - check out Acela or Excap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks