• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member Question: Red and yellow rear placards

DACbydefault

Hi Folks,

Great site. New member from PA. No MV -- yet, but definitely on the the short list of things to do.

One question, I know that the members of this forum will be able to help me with. What are the red and yellow placards on the rear of most military woodland camp painted vehicles? (see attached pic with yellow arrows). I have seen them for years and never knew what they were, even with 10 years on active duty.

Appreciate the help, thanks in advance.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nothing attached? There was a link to a webfakekit (apple stuff). Please attach a file instead of trying to do remote hosting.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20161118_144531 (1).jpg <---- These?

rut roh - porky beat me to it...

Used for civilian road reg compliance in Europe - size either 200 x 200 mm or 400 x 400 mm.
Similarly in Australia - not that any US military vehicles have served there.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
found this at
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=153167

from Mr. Harkins ...............
I Invented the MVD program in answer the high number of civilian rear-end collisions with wheeled and tracked military convoys during the 1980's; after initial testing in Fulda, Germany [it was then known as the "Fulda" project] it was incorporated into the US Army Europe {USAREUR} Safety Program under it Regulation 385-55, thanks to the decision of General Cosbie "Butch" Saint; as a superior passive warning device as primary safety to the [often inoperable] RAWLS [rotating amber warning light system].
Since I wanted it to become a NATO wide program the encapsulated-lens retroreflective sheetings was made available in two sizes 20x20 cm and 40x40cm. the design of the plate was made by Dr. Erke at the Technical University at Braunschweig,
Side notes:
1. The Erke design was the only safety design that was scientifically tested;
2. The design was adopted by the German Bundeswehr and [strangely enough] by the School Bus system in New South Wales, that saw the safety advantages of this warning device; and,
3. My MVD 'conspicuity' program was called "its safe to be seen" and was used by the United States as reference backup for starting the retroreflectization of commerical heavy vehicles.
So the next time you see those trucks on the highway with the red/white striping you can tell your friends that it all started with the MVD program
James J. Harkins IV
Sun City Center, FL

Encapsulated-lens retroreflective sheeting and method of making
patent US 5064272 A

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/au/...materials_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_h

I wish to have some of that unobtainium
I tried a warning
not appreciated
chain warning 0792.jpg

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted 3M after getting some with the original packaging. 3M did not seem to be interested or have production available.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you know someone in your local county or town Highway barn - a lot of them have their own 'sign' shops that make all the local road signs. If you "know a guy", there may be a possibility of getting some made there..

On one of the older threads (search "deliniator/delliniation plates"), there is a drg of the dimensions.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always with the negative waves, Moriarty...
When I was looking for them, that's what the guy out of Europe... no clue where as my memory fails me... would do so he could fit them in a standard envelope. Peeps were not happy when they arrived.

pmramsey

Search fleabay for 6060 Series Military Vehicle Delineator Sign Face.
They ship from Italy. I purchase these as needed from this source. Always good service.
The Part No: DR-9999-3270-7 for the 20cm x 20cm
Mine have always arrived in the original 3M cardboard packaging.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks