• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cten

Actually in MA it is due to the vehicle having more than 5 wheels... It is considered commercial private not for hire... If you use it to make $$$ then the state police can pull you over and then you need a medical certificate because the vehicle is over 10,000#. You do not need a class B lic. in MA to drive the vehicle. The only way that they will hassel you is if your hauling and especially for profit. It cost me $238.00 to register the truck and $750 for insurance in MA. It must be registered yearly. I did a bunch of research on this and talked to the registry and the state police truck enforcement division. Also, if your truck is prior to 1985 you do not have to worry about fuel exhaust, but do need to have a safety inspection yearly...

I suggest getting familar with the place your going to have the truck inspected as it will take an hour just because they want to really view the truck more so for conversation.

Like some of you said. I take my truck out weekly and have never had any issues. I wanted to drive it when I wanted and I went the commercial route for plates... I use the truck with my son's scout troop that I help out with too and it has come in very handy with 30 boys in the troop.

We drove over 3,000 miles last year and I never thought we would go more than a 1,000. Most law enforcement will not bother you as long as your not traveling over the speed limit... Try doing that in a duece. You more so need to worry about the fools that are pasing you and cutting you off.

Good luck!
Northeast MA

ida34

I read through the posts and have checked the Maine DMV website and I think there is some confusion here. The plates probably were so much because of weight but weight does not determine whether you are using it commercially so I think it is a misconception that you had to get "commercial" plates. They may be the same weight dependent plates as used on commercial trucks but you are still registered as a privately owned vehicle instead of a commercial truck. I also looked into the requirement for the class b license and the only one I found in Maine was what a driving instructor needs to teach driver's instruction. Massm35a2, I think the guy that stopped you was wrong about the license requirements. Talk to a certifed commercial enforcement officer at your local PD and discuss this with them.