• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new owner of a m448

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good find!! Here is the TM for the M448. TM 9-2330-213-14&P Keep us posted on your progress.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to tow it home (which I have done uneventfully on numerous 4-8 hour trips) here is an idea.

You say you will replace the axle anyway. If time situation and funds permit, go ahead and bring it with you. If you get in a jam, you or a garage can install the new axle and you are on your way.

You will be money ahead of the game instead of having to fix an axle you don’t want. Since you will be changing the axle anyway.

Does the seller have any info on bearing condition?

ArmyRover

That's not a bad idea wish I would have thought of that a couple weeks ago lol. Seller said he towed it about 50 miles no issues and all seemed fine. He doesn't know the age of the tires etc.

Tracer, funny I found that one when I first started looking for info on mine.

Scrounger

The lunette on that trailer has already been flipped. If I were going to tow it, I would double check the bearing grease, if it looked good go for it. The only other thing I would take is a couple of mounted tires with the appropriate tools for the ride. That would be to keep Mr. Murphy from making an appearance.

ArmyRover

Was hoping not to buy more tires for it as I don't plan to keep the axle. I want to swap it out for a dexter axle in a pattern that matches my truck and has electric brakes. Need to read the TM on servicing the bearings.

Lug nut size is 1 1/2" correct?

Last edited:

ArmyRover

If anyone along the route between Fort Gordon and Wickes AR has any good spare tires they are looking to sell cheap I might be your guy. Let me know

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
ive got an 11.00 in memphis not on a wheel. I don't have any 9.00s here I don't think. Memphis equipment would have some if you needed em really bad

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure reduces the pucker factor when your bearings are greased and you have a good spare. Every little noise doesn’t scare you as much!

I carry a squirt bottle of 50:50 acetone and ATF. It’s the best penetrating oil I have found yet. Better and cheaper than Kroil. Also, I think the threads on one side (right?) are left hand threads.

Good luck!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towing is going to be scary, those are 50+ year tires on the trailer, I trailer ed both of mine! Something else you need to check, is the top of the trailer is a separate sheet of metal, they tend to come loose from the side section, if this happens in the front,which it usually does, the wind from towing/trailering will rip it right off! Carry an extra two strap to wrap around the front of the boxIMG_2131.jpgSAM_0687.jpg71QSCI17085003A.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a good idea. We had a horse trailer when I was a kid. Had been hauling horses in it for years. One day the top peeled right off. No horses in it luckily.

It happens.

ArmyRover

May have found a large enough trailer to get the job done should know in the next day or so. If that's the case this weekend it comes home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks