• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New rust protection for deuce this year

6x6junkie

Hey guy thinking of spraying wd-40 all over the frame body and undercariage this year to help to keep my truck from rusting this winter . What do you guys think ? is there some other solution to the metal maggots they put on the roads?? man the rust in just one winter is crazy pisses me off

Blood_of_Tyrants

NO! DO NOT PUT WD-40 ON THE UNDERCARRIAGE TO "PREVENT RUST"! WD-40 is NOT a preservative. In fact, it actually attracts moisture. It was developed to be a water displacement chemical to dry electrical devices.

There are other rust preventatives that work quite well. Just make sure you apply them on clean, dry metal.

6x6junkie

wow that sounds interesting linseed oil yea the salt brine they put down has a adhesive on it so it sticks to the road and also your truck i am willing to try anything hey dumptruck does it come off easy in spring with degreaser

BugEyeBear

Waxoyl is highly regarded by the vintage British Car restorers/collectors.

& those Brit Cars rust like crazy!! (Especially in the Northeast!)

Waxoyl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Waxoyl - US Distributor - RoversNorth.com. The Source For Corrosion and Rust Protection for your Automobile. Clean. Protect. Preserve.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcNP4INYEMI[/media]

(Dispite what the website says, there ARE places where you can buy the stuff and apply it yourself! Check the British Car Forums, such as BritishCarForum.com, or check the Brit Car Clubs....)
Or
waxoyl - Google Product Search

OR Make your own?
waxoyl
(I'm not sure if this is exactly the formula for "real Waxoyl", but it might be worth investigating.)

acmunro

Living in PA I know exactly what you mean. That brine solution does not want to come off. I am looking for a good cheap rust preventative also. With the snow and sleet today the State trucks were out plowing and putting the stuff down today and it is only October 15 th.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys I know in the "rust belt' use chainsaw bar oil to protect their trucks. Any used oil will contain contaminates and will not be as effective as new oil.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many old military trucks have an automatic rustproofing system. Just look under them and you can see it is working or not.

GoHot229

Some years ago, I had an Old Fart friend that had 5+plus acres of all kinds of Diesel motors, trucks, TREASURES and such. In the fall, before the first snowfall, if His timing went off as scheduled, He sprayed used motor oil with a hand-pumped outfit to spray the stuff setting about to help prevent rusting while snowcover was present, untill the spring thaw. He also took an extensive tape of cam-corded footage of everything so he could later locate whatever might be under cover of snow incase He had to locate it. The used oil might work for undercarage??......messy and black, not my best choice. The suggestion of linseed sounds the best to me.

greenjeepster

Guys I know in the "rust belt' use chainsaw bar oil to protect their trucks. Any used oil will contain contaminates and will not be as effective as new oil.
Ditto: Bar and chain oil is designed to stick to the chain and lubricate at high rpms. It works great to prevent rust on vehicle. Just put it in a pump sprayer an if it is too thick dilute with diesel or kero. Spray on once per year.

I haven't tried linseed oil but I priced it and at 8.00 a pint i will stick with the bar and chain oil.