• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new style light switch install.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
K.I.S.S.

When Alredneck got his first deuce from Norfolk, VA, I picked it up. Tried to start it, but the batteries would short out whenever I tried to connect them, hard ground. Guess where it was? stupid digital light switch. I had a spare 3 way that we installed. I think he still uses that same one.

bmH1065

My head lights quit working with the old style switch. I was given a new push button type and installed it. I now have headlights. When I first checked, I had turn signals but they didn't flash. I remembered that I didn't have a bulb in the turnsignal arm so I replaced it thinking that it would need all three bulbs to make it flash. At first it didn't come on. Latter it did but didn't flash. I then noticed I didn't have front or rear lights, just the non flashing arm light. The wires coming off the turnsignal arm are real hard so I don't know if is old wires, knocked somthing loose in the dash or if it is because of the new style head light switch.

saddamsnightmare

March 3rd, 2010.

bmh1065:

I believe that the flasher unit relay is on the left front drivers side fender inside the hood, at least that's where it ended up on my rebuilt M35A2. For the rest, no need to firestorm, but I have had excellent service with the TACOM switch installed two years ago and used daily. IT is necessary to ground the swith by a wire from the ground screw on the back of the TACOM switch before you do anything else to it, and the ground MUST be established to a cab metal componenet that is known to be grounded to the frame and batteries by a ground strap. I used one of the four screws for the steering post where it goes through the firewall, and did not disconnect the batteries.
Establishing the ground first removes the potential for a static charge taking out the electronics, then you hook up the master 3 way switch cable to the back of the unit through the hole in the dashboard, test unit, then screw into the dashboard using the four attching screws. It's not rocket science and there are thousands of these units in use daily all around the world. TACOM would not let the bugs rest as someone would be on their butt if the failures took too many vehicles off line, don't you think?
And besides, the old three lever was not flawless, a pain in the a-s to work in the dark, and when it failed, the results were equally bad for the truck and driver...

Just my .02 worth, we gotta get outta the stone age sooner or later now that the wheel's been perfected and placed under a deuce!!!:p

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan[thumbzup]

bmH1065

If it is behind firewall I don't think I would of pulled a wire off. It was working before I changed the light switch (as far as I know) Will try to check things out this weekend when I have daylight. Thanks for your help.

FDNY129

Installed a TACOM switch about a year ago. No problems so far. I did make sure I ran a nice clean ground wire all the way down the the chassis. Use good clean terminal loops and make sure the chassis is ground down to bare metal before you attach it. Then just spray over it to protect from rusting. Don't be cheap, use new wire and solid terminals and you won't be sorry. Cheap gear rusts and fails quickly, resulting in NO ground!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And besides, the old three lever was not flawless, a pain in the a-s to work in the dark,......
Funny, the 3-lever switch can easily be operated without looking at it, as in blindfolded. Little hard, I imagine to operate the push button switch without glancing at it, at least. Try to flash your headlights with it while in traffic without taking your eyes off the road...just the flick of a lever on the "old" style switch.

Using electomechanical relays to handle the load is a good idea and it also offers the opportunity to add circuit breakers specifically for the load (headlights and/or turn signals).

saddamsnightmare

March 4th, 2010.

Cranetruck and esteemed members:):

Contrary to what you may have heard about West Virginians, or West Virginians moved to Texas, most of us do not have enough fingers to work the lock lever and the set lever single handed! I had that set up on my M422A1 (3 lever) and also on the deuce when she came, and I concluded that there must have been some reason Tranportation Command came up with the new switch! I, for one, hate groping around in a dark cab looking for the light switch, and being able to hit any button and illuminate the switch unit is a brilliant idea, and you can flash you headlights, I believe, by pushing any other button and not hitting enter(?).
These units seem to work alright, though I have not forded one through a stream as deep as the switch location due to my truck not having the fording kit. Uncle likes them, and I doubt if any HMMWV or FMTV has a three lever anywhere to be found. Besides, its probably the only stock modern item you can retrofit to a deuce and have it work, because the deuce is rather stone age in design. (Not faulting stone age design here, as my deuce has yet to be recalled for sticking throttles).:shock:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

Billy Bobbed

I just bought a used push button on Ebay today.Thanks for all the info. on installing it.Ill make sure I disconnect the battery.I will keep my 3 lever one in the glove box.[thumbzup]

6X6 ALL THE WAY

I've had the new style on my truck for about six months. Love it. I always make sure that the switch is off before cranking it, due to the voltage drop. Haven't had any problems.

emr

I have a brand new one I would part with and a used one, let me know if anyone is interested, downsizing 14 years of collecting takes awhile...:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks