• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to 5 ton what is the model of this one

AZDeuce

Looks like an m925a1 to me.
Possibly a Marine Corps version (even though it has Army markings on it)Judging that off of the re-enforcements welded on both sides of extended upside down "U" bracket on both sides of the bed, I've only seen those on Marine trucks, all the trucks have the upside down "U" bracket but only the Marines re-enforced them. WHICH MEANS.....just possibly that truck may have lockers on the rear axles....maybe...

fasttruck

The size of the spare tire carrier raises a question but the unit I was in at the time received brand new M923s with the same tires as this truck and also without a CTIS. At the same time other units got them with 1100:20s. The CTIS version appeared a couple of years later.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The size of the spare tire carrier raises a question but the unit I was in at the time received brand new M923s with the same tires as this truck and also without a CTIS. At the same time other units got them with 1100:20s. The CTIS version appeared a couple of years later.
1984 and 1985 trucks had the 11.00's and the narrower spare carrier.

1986 began the A1 variation with 14.00s without CTIS, a wider spare carrier, bed a couple inches further back, different bumperettes, and a lower hitch.

1988 began the A2 variation with the 8.3 turbodiesel, CTIS, shackles on the lower front bumper, and fuel caps angled.

USMC was putting singles on the trucks prior to the A1 update. Some of the army trucks were getting a tire swap to singles also before the carrier and bed was configured for them. What you're describing are some of the army trucks that were swapped to singles without the concurrent design changes to the spare carrier and the hitch height. The data plates on these trucks would show 11.00's. (I say "swapped to singles" although 11.00's may not have ever actually physically been mounted on them.)

fasttruck

Reference is made to post 6: the trucks in question were issued to the unit in the spring of 1988 and had been shipped directly from the AM General point of manufacture, South Bend IN I think. At this distance in time I do not know if they had been held at the factory before being issued but I doubt the manufacturer would store them for an extended period of time before delivering g them to the Army.

Reactions: 98G

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reference is made to post 6: the trucks in question were issued to the unit in the spring of 1988 and had been shipped directly from the AM General point of manufacture, South Bend IN I think. At this distance in time I do not know if they had been held at the factory before being issued but I doubt the manufacturer would store them for an extended period of time before delivering g them to the Army.

I speculate that the order was changed to super singles before they had shipped the last of the trucks that didn't have the updated tire carrier etc. That's all it is - speculation.

Re TM - these are part of the M939series of trucks and those will be the TMs you want.

Phil P

Hello

Well we have run into a fuel system problem.

It looks like the truck sat for a very long time with a little fuel it and that has turned to a gooey brown substance that is pretty easy to clean with Xylol.

It looks like it didn’t make it to the injection pump.

I need a fuel filter can anyone tell me what part number it is?

Thanks in advance.

Phil P

fasttruck

The publications relevant to the vehicle will be listed on a data plate on the right side of the dashboard. Having never had a 900 series truck I do not know what the numbers are but they are surely in the TM section on this site. Get into the 20P organizational maintenance parts book and find the NSN for the filter. Then google that and it will reveal the civilian filter number. If a 900 uses the same filter as a 809 the NSN is 2910-00-152-2033 which translates to NAPA 3401, fleetguard 256476 or Luberfiner LFGF-1201. Some parts countermen have computers that will translate the NSN to whatever brand filter they sell.

fasttruck

If the filter is the same one used in a M809 series 5 ton the NSN is 2910-00-152-2033. Google this and it will reveal the civilian equivalents. The TMs associated with the M923 etc are in the 9-2320-272-10, 20, 20P. LO series. Read the reading. Don't make a move without the pubs. A 5 ton has at least 40 grease points on it. Neglect them at you own peril. And don't forget the oil can points like door latches, hinges etc. Know the difference between the drum lock and the drum clutch on the winch ? If you have a winch do you have a snatch block ? And so on.

fasttruck

The 20P is the organizational parts book which will list the oil and fuel filter NSNs which will lead to the civilian equivalents.

Phil P

fasttruck

If I had that plate life would be much easier. LOL

Thanks for the service advice it has a winch that the previous owner has disconnected the controls to.

This truck will get more severe service than the military could ever give it short of blowing it up with artillery.

I am sure the placard on the panel about backing in low range 4X4 will go unheeded. Then maybe they will decide I knew what I was talking about when I told them not to purchase a 5 ton because of the weight. They will get stuck in low 4X4 and the first thing they will do is put it in reverse and try to back out.

This truck is too heavy to operate in muck without wood tracking. The M35 does quite well but it doesn’t weigh near as much as this truck.

Thanks for your help.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fasttruck

If I had that plate life would be much easier. LOL

Thanks for the service advice it has a winch that the previous owner has disconnected the controls to.

This truck will get more severe service than the military could ever give it short of blowing it up with artillery.

I am sure the placard on the panel about backing in low range 4X4 will go unheeded. Then maybe they will decide I knew what I was talking about when I told them not to purchase a 5 ton because of the weight. They will get stuck in low 4X4 and the first thing they will do is put it in reverse and try to back out.

This truck is too heavy to operate in muck without wood tracking. The M35 does quite well but it doesn’t weigh near as much as this truck.

Thanks for your help.
The transfer case will break. Used takeouts are approaching $1k and new in the can units are $4k.

It is well worth the trouble to prevent this.

fasttruck

Winch disconnected ? Did you get a chance to ask the previous owner why ? Keep unauthorized and untrained users from messing with it ? Hydraulic problem ? Mechanical problem ? A working winch can be a useful item in an area described as being more rugged than combat.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transfer case will break. Used takeouts are approaching $1k and new in the can units are $4k.

It is well worth the trouble to prevent this.

You might want to look at this thread to get an idea what happens.

Phil P

Hi

I finally have a little more information.

The truck never ran well and they finally brought it into the shop under its own power but when shutdown never ran again unit today.

I have determined the engine to have been manufacture in 1984.

It would crank and sound like it was going to run but never really did.

On inspection I find the fuel tank to heavy a layer of brown sticky stuff on the bottom. I have a tractor that sat for a number of years and it has the same brown sticky stuff all its fuel system.

So I washed out the fuel tank, fuel filter and all fuel lines with Xylol.

Removed the injectors and cleaned them with Xylol I did do them one at a time so the parts were not mixed between the injection units.

That made it run but with no RPM control fortunately I had the emergency shutdown system working and was able to prevent a runaway. We started it several times before removing the fuel pump / governor and having it repaired.

After installation I find the throttle peddle linkage had been adjusted to hold the engine at about 2,000 RPM. So disconnected the throttle linkage and ran the engine using the throttle lever on the side of the injection pump / governor to control RPM.

The engine starts easy and runs pretty good except for a large amount of smoke. This is new it didn’t smoke like this before we worked on it.

Here is a video of it starting and running let me know what you all think about the smoke.

https://youtu.be/vK5zMEmAD0U

Phil P

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks