• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to M35, getting started, where am I leaking?

clob mcstrunk

Picked up a 1972 M35a2 from a member on here. After a headache of a time dealing with the freight hauler...and then the small issue of him getting stuck coming down the driveway, she landed in the shop.

Since I got it home I have:
-Tagged and insured
-Replaced all 6 wheel cylinders, adjusted to .020/.010 clearance on all pads, bled, went through >$40 of brake fluid, bled some more and got the stoppers dialed in
-Replaced axle seals, little cork thingys, and axle shaft seals
-Replaced all rubber hoses
-Replaced all zerks, put more grease through my grease gun then in its entire life to date
-Replaced parking brake cable (likely going to replace the shoes at some point in not distant future)
-Removed/pressure washed/scrubbed interior, rebuilt driver's seat linkages, replaced damper
-Removed, blasted, repainted: grill, mirror brackets, exhaust guard
-All hardware that has been touched by a wrench has been replaced with grade8 nuts/bolts, for vanity of course
-Racked up the most expensive single fill-up in my driving history
-Dismounted 4 extra wheels/tires that I got with the sale (thanks @sgms18.) Wheels have been cleaned and prepped for the 395s Im getting, just need to figure out tubes and flaps, local truck service center seems to have no clue about the flaps.
-Naturally replaced the shifter knob with a pineapple

Up until yesterday I was only bold enough to take it around the 6 mile loop around the neighborhood, having never driven one I felt it probably in everyone's best interest to pop my cherry on some backroads. Then yesterday, after being bored and frustrated at work (being essential and all
:shaking:
) I decided a longer shakedown was in order. Spent about an hour on everything from residential and highway, 4th and 5th really do feel like where the truck is happiest and other than being a 48-year old government-built truck, feels quite solid.

The few times I've driven prior to yesterday I've noticed a fair bit of fresh oil on the starter and dripping below. I thought it may be dripping from the slobber tube, as there was a bit of residue at the bottom of it, but I could never isolate that is the source. Well yesterday when I stopped to be the jerk that took up 4 spots at the grocery store, I came out and saw a lot of oil coating the front diff, passenger side leafs, underside of the battery cabinet, etc. etc. A LOT of oil. Getting home I checked the level (one min after shut down as spec'd) and was down almost a quarter. Crawling underneath I cant pinpoint the source, but the passenger rear corner of the oil pan looks suspicious. There is still some oil on top of the starter, but nothing higher, nothing on the block/turbo/head/etc.

I've already put into a shopping cart for rear main seal, clutch pack, etc., thinking that with all I've read this may be the source, but something is nagging at me that it might be elsewhere. I dont feel any slippage in the clutch, which as I have read is likely from the oil spraying.

Any suggestions? I know (and have read) there are fortyeleven threads about the rear main but none seem to corroborate with what I'm seeing. But then again this is my first rodeo so maybe I'm wrong or looking at the wrong thing.

Thanks!

Tl;dr - Love the truck, cant figure out oil leak, kthx

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The oil supply and oil return lines for the turbo sit on the passenger side near the starter. Return line has a fabric covered piece of high temp hose to connect the metal line to the block....I'd be suspieious of that one. Other than these, it may be the oil pan itself or its seal leaking in this corner. Pics, please!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be mindful that oil leaking while driving can be blown around by air movement and can mislead you on where the oil is actually coming from. I would recommend thoroughly cleaning the engine, differential and anywhere else that has oil on it. Start the engine and let it run for a long time while you look for the oil leak. Do not drive the truck. If you don't see the leak, pull the throttle some to increase the engine speed / oil pressure and again look for the leak. You will find the leak if you are persistent.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pics from the manual re turbo lines:

View attachment 796483

View attachment 796484

Difficult to see but a head gasket oil leak at the rear of the block could also have oil running down the back of the block and then over to one side and down onto the starter. Something to look for.
Mine did this. The line got a crack in it and dripped on the springs and axle. Didn't leak unless it was running of course. Then I fixed it and when I did I tore the little #10 gasket and it was leaking from there. All good now with a new hose and gasket.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be mindful that oil leaking while driving can be blown around by air movement and can mislead you on where the oil is actually coming from. I would recommend thoroughly cleaning the engine, differential and anywhere else that has oil on it. Start the engine and let it run for a long time while you look for the oil leak. Do not drive the truck. If you don't see the leak, pull the throttle some to increase the engine speed / oil pressure and again look for the leak. You will find the leak if you are persistent.
That's exactly what you need to do... Degrease and rinse it thoroughly and let it dry completely. Everything should look dull and ashy. If it still looks shiny after it's dried, you probably didn't get it degreased well enough. Start it up and scrutinize it early and often w/flashlight in hand. If you see it weeping from somewhere, shut it down and snug-up every-dang fastener even remotely in the vacinity of the suspected leak. It's amazing how many things can be "fixed" by simply snugging things up a bit.

clob mcstrunk

Turbo in/out oil passages are clean and dry, block is dry, passenger side/rear head area clean. Slobber tube is normal amount, not the source
dry block and turbo.jpg

Underside of bellhousing, oil is only on pass side, up to the centerline point on the pan
beneath.jpg

This is my guess on the source, oil pan gasket ...?
passenger pan rear.jpg

Front side of starter looking back
Front underside starter.jpg

I really appreciate all the help. I have not degreased everything off yet, i keep the ol girl in the hangar and didnt want to fire it up to move it outside before I documented the condition as-is. I will get it moved outside and cleaned up this afternoon, let it dry, and then let it run in place until it shows the leak source.

fleetmech

looks list mist blowing back from the vent tube all over the starter anyway. Should there be an extension tube to take that vent down lower? Maybe that rubber extension tube fell off?

fleetmech

G'day everyone,......

I agree, its just missing the extension tube to go down below the axle.

However, I am still concerned about the volume of oil used.

Aussie.
Yeah, I have to go look at my dipstick to get a handle on how much 'one quarter' really represents, but definitely too much for a days driving. We might be seeing two different oil patches, the haze on the starter from the tube, as well as another leak in the same area.

OP, you might consider adding some leak detection dye to the oil before you do your clean-and -run cycle. Even if you don't have a uv detection light those dyes are usually pretty bright and will still be helpful in ID-ing the source of the leak. Dyes and lights are available through many major part stores, and probably amazon too, though I haven't looked.

Also, in your third picture, right where your yellow mark is, right by the starter, is that hole a missing pan bolt? If so, thats not helping!

clob mcstrunk

All oil pan bolts are accounted for.

I cleaned the underside, let it run until reached operating temp - no leak.

Increased throttle and held it for 5 min - no leak.

Drove it 4 miles, including up to 50+ mph, got out and checked, with engine still running - everything is soaked with oil. Underside of starter is the heaviest coated, but can’t see the source.

Does it make sense that the leak is only happening while at speed? How much pressure could there be in the oil pan?

Clutch still feels as it should, no slipping.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turbo in/out oil passages are clean and dry, block is dry, passenger side/rear head area clean. Slobber tube is normal amount, not the source
dry block and turbo.jpg
Your slobber tube should have a piece of hose about 2' long attached to it that ends below the front axle to direct any oil vapor away from the engine. Have you added a hose to it yet?

How much pressure could there be in the oil pan?
Little to none, unless a dirt-dobber has made a nest in the slobber tube and plugged it up. I'd verify the slobber tube is clear, add a length of hose to it, and clean things up and try again.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
All oil pan bolts are accounted for.

I cleaned the underside, let it run until reached operating temp - no leak.

Increased throttle and held it for 5 min - no leak.

Drove it 4 miles, including up to 50+ mph, got out and checked, with engine still running - everything is soaked with oil. Underside of starter is the heaviest coated, but can’t see the source.

Does it make sense that the leak is only happening while at speed? How much pressure could there be in the oil pan?

Clutch still feels as it should, no slipping.
not supposed to be any pressure in the oil pan.........................
Atop the engine is a breather of the valve covers, gets plugged, in the TM's, easy to clean, can't hurt being cleaned.

clob mcstrunk

To update, I've got the oil pan gasket, new oil filters, new crush washers, etc. sitting on the workbench. Drained the oil, pulled the pan, and found two scary things.

Drained over 7 gallons of oil. This is after pissing at least a few pints out (if not more) during the last two drives. :shrugs:

Found this in the pan:
Broken part.jpgbroken part2.jpg

It is solid, not a tube. When doing an initial inspection, I cant see where it might have broken off from. Can someone please tell me what it is and more importantly that isnt something that is going to make me want to cry?

The gasket that I removed was the single-piece style and did have a spot that looks like it could have been letting oil past, though not as big as I would have thought. The new gasket from Memphis Equipment is the mult-piece style, and one of the end sections is a different material than the other three. The thickness of all pieces is the same; should I be concerned? I've used RVT on plenty of applications in the past and have found conflicting reports of using it here. What about if RVT + paper gasket? Thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks