• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me 1968 deuce

nuljas23

Well after many years of wanting one I finally picked one up. It's a 1968 M35A2 on singles (stock rims) and I got him to throw in a winch off
his other truck. It's pretty clean overall, has one spot of rust under the driver side door I will need to cut out and replace but other then that it's solid.

image_zps07f42480.jpgimage_zps38673241.jpg

I've been slowly reading about some of the usual modifications like headlights bulbs and such so I'd like to do that and get some MRAPs to start with. Not crazy about the paint job but that's an easy fix I guess. Does anyone know why my headlights are mounted lower then everyone else's?

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Some of the older trucks had the lights mounted lower from the factory

AZDeuce

Looking at your first picture of the front, it appears your truck has the early headlight mounting plates. You can unbolt those and turn them upside down so the lights will be at the top, this will be mandatory if you install the winch. Nice truck.

nuljas23

Sorry for all the newbie questions I'm use to playing with diesel pickups nothing like this pig. All other trucks I see don't have anything above/below the passenger headlight. Just the blackout on the driver side

nuljas23

I don't even know if the electric one works, the previous owner installed train horns activated by a sweet custom toilet water line shut off haha

nuljas23

The train horns hooked to the toilet water shutoff is dangerous. Hard to stop these trucks with no air pressure.
It's definitely not ideal, I haven't even driven the truck yet since he delivered it. That seems to the only thing jerry rigged on it. Motor and tranny have 16k on a military rebuild

bonedoc

Welcome to the site and the hobby!! In case you are interested there is a large Military vehicle show in Gilbert Pa at the west end fair grounds today and tomorrow. Have fun and enjoy, nice looking truck!!

nuljas23

Welcome to the site and the hobby!! In case you are interested there is a large Military vehicle show in Gilbert Pa at the west end fair grounds today and tomorrow. Have fun and enjoy, nice looking truck!!
Thanks man appreciate it! I have my boy this wknd otherwise I would. Keep me posted on future events would love to meet other "locals". I have so much to learn about these things

md250r

Very good looking truck! What tires are those? I am a newbie as well and like the look (and lower cost) of doing a super single on the stock wheels.

nuljas23

Thanks. Their michelin XMLs 395/85/R20 I believe. They measure about 46" tall. Forgot to mention the truck has an air shift front diff too so definitely got lucky there. The switch for the heater is broke so I need to replace it, not sure if it's a factory switch or not ill hafta do some research on that.

Id really like to find a hard top since my soft top has a tear in it. What's a fair price to pay for one and any good sources around central PA for parts? I stumbled across kublos and ppl seem to like dealing with them but their about 4 hours away which isn't a big deal but having options is nice. I need some odds and ends like mirror brackets too

nuljas23

The looks actually kind of grown on me but like others said they'll have to be moved up when I install the winch, still not sure how I'm getting that out of the bed haha.

That's a nice lookin truck I like the auxiliary lights, I was thinking about adding some to mine or possibly recessing some into the bumper and covering the holes with expanded metal