• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New To Me Engine, Won't Start

cucvrus

An engine that was started on a pallet and run is worth what it weighs in scrap value. it only takes a minute to burn gaskets with no coolant. It is basically a used motor with lots of ????? that would be sketchy at best. Good Luck.

helobravo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An engine that was started on a pallet and run is worth what it weighs in scrap value. it only takes a minute to burn gaskets with no coolant. It is basically a used motor with lots of ????? that would be sketchy at best. Good Luck.
I have the radiator attached to the pallet.
I started it and turned it off since the coolant wasn't hooked up yet.
Thanks for your concern and useful input.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Hone, new rings and replaced heads. 400 psi on both banks.
The motor is on a pallet and starts up as it should.
The glow plugs and pink wire are hooked up to manual switches.
I will connect the cooling system later and run it for a while.
Since I am on a pallet, what do I need to do for the other two connections on the IP to get it to idle while cold?
I'm probably going to sell this motor, on the pallet running. What's a fair asking price?

So let me understand? You went and replaced parts and have the engine in running condition. And now you are asking how much can I sell engine for?

Why aren't you going to use the engine in your truck after the work you done? I would after the work you have done. Why not?

Are you going to sell and let the next person throw the dice? If you were local to me I would offer 300.00 for running condition and take for a core. Or I would use for a temporary replacement while I major another core.

I have done the same thing that you have done as a cheap repair to drive truck and get some more miles on equipment. No shame here, but I weighed the outcome of a sour repair, money spent. But down time and my labor is what I was trying to save.

Are you finished with the truck helobravo?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
helobravo, are you going another direction on your truck? After all that work that you have done on the Detroit to get the engine useful for your purpose you have decided?

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been reading this thread for awhile and not commented. In my opinion, your early video of the engine cranking was obvious that this was not a healthy engine. I would never trust a used (unknown) engine without a complete tear down, inspection, and competent machine work done prior to assembly by me or someone I trust. I have built many from the bare block up, including diesels, but I always start with a block that has been checked, bored, etc. by a trusted machine shop. Then I actually do all the measurements myself to be sure. Precision tools, bore gauge, inside/outside micrometers, etc are required of course. I learned long ago do it right, do it once. If your buying a used engine to install in anything, your just rolling the dice. Good luck with your project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks