• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M923a2

smokem joe

So I finally found the truck I have been looking for. It was in state so no jumping through out of state inspection to deal with. I had it trucked home as I was afraid to drive it in it's current condition. It has had 0 maintenance the last 3 years at least. 21K miles with rebuild out of Blount Island done at 16K. Very little blowby and in pretty good shape. I've downloaded the TMs and have been reading them. I have some issues that I'm hoping some can help me out with as I read through the TMs

Throttle was sticking badly. Stuck wherever you pushed it to. I have that freed up and working nicely and got the idle back down to 625 or so. It did idle around 900. The ball on the end of the throttle linkage was hitting the cable for the transmission and holding open the throttle. Sitting by the shop it gets twisted up some. As the frame and body twist rpm goes up slightly as more pressure is put on the linkage. Is this normal and to be expected?

The bolt on the attached picture behind shut down solenoid was loose and from the looks of the oil all over the power steering and front diff has been leaking for awhile. I tightened this down. Hopefully that stops that leak. What is this bolt for?
IMG_1513.JPGIMG_1516.JPG
Both air lines going to front brakes are shot. I'd be afraid to drive this down the road as bad as they are. The lines from frame to brake can in the springs are fine. Both unprotected lines are shot. Anyone have a part number and a source? I'd like to replace them asap as I'm still reading TMs so they don't blow out while moving around the property. The rest of the air lines look to be in pretty good shape.

I can smell antifreeze while it is running slightly. I can't find anywhere it is leaking though. Anyplace common for this?

Parking brake wouldn't hold anything. Followed TM and adjusted that. I'm not sure why the spring brakes were not holding it though. I would have expected them to hold even if the drum didn't.

Other than changing the fluids and filter and giving it some much needed grease anything else I should look out for right away?

Last edited by a moderator:

smokem joe

Oh, one other thing. The fuel was supposed to have been turned up in this and it is running a straight pipe exhaust. I want to add a EGT and boost gauge to monitor it. I want something manual as it is less to go wrong than with a digital. What have other found? I found a combo deal on Amazon made by Hewitt. Only problem is they are 12v. Can I just stick a resistor in the power wire to cut voltage?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the spring brakes, make sure the black "SPRING BRAKE OVER RIDE" button is pulled out. That should always be out and is only for a one-time emergency release of the brakes with no air

smokem joe

As far as the spring brakes, make sure the black "SPRING BRAKE OVER RIDE" button is pulled out. That should always be out and is only for a one-time emergency release of the brakes with no air

It is out for sure. I made sure it worked and had it pushed in to verify drum parking brake was adjusted per TM

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So I finally found the truck I have been looking for. It was in state so no jumping through out of state inspection to deal with. I had it trucked home as I was afraid to drive it in it's current condition. It has had 0 maintenance the last 3 years at least. 21K miles with rebuild out of Blount Island done at 16K. Very little blowby and in pretty good shape. I've downloaded the TMs and have been reading them. I have some issues that I'm hoping some can help me out with as I read through the TMs

Throttle was sticking badly. Stuck wherever you pushed it to. I have that freed up and working nicely and got the idle back down to 625 or so. It did idle around 900. The ball on the end of the throttle linkage was hitting the cable for the transmission and holding open the throttle. Sitting by the shop it gets twisted up some. As the frame and body twist rpm goes up slightly as more pressure is put on the linkage. Is this normal and to be expected?

The bolt on the attached picture behind shut down solenoid was loose and from the looks of the oil all over the power steering and front diff has been leaking for awhile. I tightened this down. Hopefully that stops that leak. What is this bolt for?
View attachment 742308View attachment 742309
Both air lines going to front brakes are shot. I'd be afraid to drive this down the road as bad as they are. The lines from frame to brake can in the springs are fine. Both unprotected lines are shot. Anyone have a part number and a source? I'd like to replace them asap as I'm still reading TMs so they don't blow out while moving around the property. The rest of the air lines look to be in pretty good shape.

I can smell antifreeze while it is running slightly. I can't find anywhere it is leaking though. Anyplace common for this?

Parking brake wouldn't hold anything. Followed TM and adjusted that. I'm not sure why the spring brakes were not holding it though. I would have expected them to hold even if the drum didn't.

Other than changing the fluids and filter and giving it some much needed grease anything else I should look out for right away?
Brake lines are just standard cotton jacket lines that are rated to 350psi with JIC females on both ends. prob #6s maybe #8s the other line is for the CTIS.

That large bolt behind the shut off solenoid is for adjusting governor springs.

Spring brakes should be working. check the valve on the dash or if its been bypassed all together. Should be working with the parking brake up unless the linear valve is not working. One way to check that is with the parking brake up, loosen the small front air line out of those 3 lines and see if you have air coming out of it. You should only have air coming thru that line with the parking brake off.

smokem joe

So you can just have those lines made up local at semi repair places? Or is is better to order them online. There are 2 lines going to brake can and a third line going to axle housing which I assumed that was the CTIS line.

Governor was supposed to have been adjusted on this truck so that makes sense. I have yet to actually try that out and see for myself. Truck needs a good going over and serviced before hitting the road. I want an EGT gauge installed before romping on it anyway.

Spring brakes are now holding when parked. I took everything apart and cleaned it all up. They wouldn't hold on a slight hill before. I'll see if they hold now.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like your power steering reservoir cap is missing the vent filter; probably why "oil" is splashed all over everything nearby.

Got mine from a seller on eBay a couple of years ago.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So you can just have those lines made up local at semi repair places? Or is is better to order them online. There are 2 lines going to brake can and a third line going to axle housing which I assumed that was the CTIS line.

Governor was supposed to have been adjusted on this truck so that makes sense. I have yet to actually try that out and see for myself. Truck needs a good going over and serviced before hitting the road. I want an EGT gauge installed before romping on it anyway.

Spring brakes are now holding when parked. I took everything apart and cleaned it all up. They wouldn't hold on a slight hill before. I'll see if they hold now.
Any hydraulic shop or napa. Just standard 350 or 500psi hose will work. They will have an air line type cotton jacket line at a hydraulic shop. Spring is the feed line. It's the same line though just has a spring guard. you can zip tie that back on. It would be best to replace all 4 of the brake lines while you are in there to get it over with.

smokem joe

Thanks. I will check that out. That could be an issue too. Lots of oil has leaked out of that bolt/cap on the injection pump and run down over the power steering. Power steering fluid level was ok. Motor oil was majorly low.

smokem joe

Any hydraulic shop or napa. Just standard 350 or 500psi hose will work. They will have an air line type cotton jacket line at a hydraulic shop. Spring is the feed line. It's the same line though just has a spring guard. you can zip tie that back on. It would be best to replace all 4 of the brake lines while you are in there to get it over with.

Ok my thinking was correct. I ordered both from different sellers on fleabay. Found the supply lines for 15 and the return for 10. I didn't think that was to bad a deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks