• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New(to me) tools

zout

You will have fun once set up working with the mill. I use to have an older Bridgeport 10 - 54 vertical mill and made pieces that wound up getting blued. Made a lot of Harley parts on it as well for old choppers.

zout

The blued pieces were of the air gun family.

Pushing that button is suppose to send direct pm smiley faces to DH - guess the police killed it - go figure.

:):):):):)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup 3 phase
If you don't know how to build a phase converter out of a old 3-phase motor let me know.

Those wheels will be removed for transport. I don't wanna drive for two hours watching this thing shift back and forth! I'm even thinking about running some all thread through the trailer deck to make sure it stays put.
Just cross chain around the base. You can mess it up chaining around the head or something. That's how we haul them and haven't had a problem. We aren't in the habit of laying trucks on their side though :gimp: . :wink:

Be very careful if you lift it by forks from the base. They are very top heavy and can fall over in a heartbeat. If we use forks we will go under top cross beam that holds the head (the beam has a name but I can't think of it). Just use some cardboard between the forks and the ways so you don't damage them.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Going to get it tomorrow! I'm pretty sure he plans on using the eye bolt in the top of it to load. I will make sure it is overly secured to the trailer. I made sure I paid the extra insurance so if they complain about holes drilled, well "its insured!". :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is super nice Gimp. I'm suitably envious.

I've worked for years gathering all the stuff I needed to do mechanical work-suspension / brake stuff, glass bead cabinet, etc. Finally got a nice welder and a good torch set (Miller 175 / Victor journeyman) and now I find myself looking at all the stuff to do fabrication.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't know how to build a phase converter out of a old 3-phase motor let me know.

I built the one for my Brother's shop. Fun with 3-phase and a real eye opener when I heard it could be done. Farmers build the motor 3-phase converters a lot around here. Finding a nice push button switch was the hardest part.

crazywelder72

Hey gimp,
Congtrats on the mill. These guys are 100% correct that you can build a 3phase converter from a old 3 phase motor. Basically you take a 110 motor and run a belt to turn the 3phase motor. The wires connecter coming out the 3 phase motor is now a 3 phase generator. If the mill motor doesn't run but chatters and hums then one of the 3 legs is reversed.

However the are other options... First is a 3 phase rotary converter. (thats what i have because i got it for payment for a job). They are great at supplying multiple machines but usually run from $800-$1500 depending on the HP size needed.

The second way is the easiest and the best IMO. you want to look for what is called a static phase converter. they look like a small electrical disconnect box and are a simple solid state component. just plug into 110 and connect your mill to it. about $150 complete.

I think Northern tool sells them. (if i had one i would give it to you);-)
:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

ODdave

Hey gimp,
Congtrats on the mill. These guys are 100% correct that you can build a 3phase converter from a old 3 phase motor. Basically you take a 110 motor and run a belt to turn the 3phase motor. the wires connecter coming out the 3 phase motor is now a 3 phase generator.
:beer:
Not quite, For a small convertor ( your not gonna need a big one) You do not need a pony motor (the pony is used for starting LARGE convertors). Using an old motor you will be useing both poles of your wall current to energize 2 outside poles of the 3 poles in the motor. Capacitors are wired to the third "wild" leg of the motor to help tame the voltage. The same 3 poles on the motor will be your 3 lines for your 3 phase power. Remeber the "wild" leg always has to go to the middle pole. Reversing the outside "constant" lines will reverse the machines motor.

Most 3 phase motors have there line wires numbered.

208/220/240V
4-5-6=Together
1+7=Line1
2+8=Wild
3+9=Line2

440V
1-4-7=Line 1
2-5-8=Line2
3-6-9=Line3

Last edited:

crazywelder72

That is verry similar to how my my of the shelf rotary phase converter works. It was a bit complicated for me so my buddie had to wire it..

it didnt make sense to me. 220 in to it to spin the motor and the motor created the 3rd pole that came out. the machine always has 220 going to it, but only when i flip the switch and spin up the RPC, i would get that 3rd leg. :drool:

I still think the static is the easiest and least expensive way toy go. but thats just me...

timothy11

Banned
Only down side to static is you only get 2/3rd power from your machine. I love my rotary, but guess thats why you got both types on the market to choose from.

ODdave

Yes, By far the static is the easiest and dosnt use as much power to run. For anything under 4hp I would ONLY have a static. Keep in mind too gimp, dont buy one that is to big. It WILL overheat the machines motor and cause harm to it. Size it right and you will love it.

ODdave

You do loose a little (rotory dosnt give %100 either) But I have found that I rarely ever need the full amount of power. If I do I just start my grinder (3hp 3phase) and let it run while using the mill, Power restored. The more motors running on the same line the smoother the current.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks