• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the boards

ford

I'm Ford, from south east Texas. I found my way over here from a SurvivalBlog post. I have always loved the M35 (and MVs in general). I have been toying with getting one off and on for a few years now and am now more serious about it. So here I am looking for information, trying to figure out what I will be getting myself in to. There's no convincing left to do...I just want an idea of the trouble I am in for.

I just wanted to say hey and thanks for having me!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site. There are a few guys in your neck of the woods with MV's.

If you're considering a deuce, the attached article is a great primer.

Attachments

ford

Thanks for the doc clinto. Ill give it a good read. I have never been in or ridden or driven one before. Just seen them from the outside so I'm curious about that too. Hopefully I can find someone that will take me out for a spin. I'm also trying to figure out if I want a 2.5 or 5 ton. Im pretty good with vehicles but these are ones that I just don't know much about.

ford

So I spent yesterday and most of this morning looking for some info but I couldn't really find what I was looking for. Basically, I'm trying to decide between a 2.5 ton and a 5 ton. I see the differences in the size in pictures but I was trying to find some discussions on the differences, pros, cons, etc.

As far as my needs go, it will mostly be to go have some fun in as well as an emergency vehicle for me and my family. I intend to use the back for cargo. I will want to add some additional fuel storage. Will be interested in running a handful of comm devices (not sure exactly what just yet...thats a totally separate area of investigation on my part). Interested in a PTO, singling, larger than stock tires, etc. I am interested to get about 1000-1500 mile range out of it if I can.

So that being said, I have only seen pictures/videos of the 5 tons in action but don't know any differences other than the axles and the apparent size of the truck. Any information would be great or just a shove in the right direction of a thread or something.

Thanks in advance for the help!

*edit* If I put this in the wrong place, let me know and I will re-locate...I just wasn't sure which area to stick it under.

krall

welcome, first off, and I would say a deuce would do the trick, 5 ton is not much different just size and fuel suckage. besides 5 ton is more for pulling and much more heavier weight, hence 5 ton, if your not looking for heavy hauling and more for just back up, m35A2 sounds like it fits the bill.

runk

I think you've already identified the big difference - size. 5 ton's bigger size and weight means CDL, commercial insurance, gigantic (instead of merely huge) parts, 32 point u-turns (instead of 16 point), worse mileage, and so-on. Parts are equally available. Many of the 5 tons already have some of the modifications you can add to a deuce, like power steering and larger tires (11.00's).
Also think about where the truck will live, and what restrictions you might have. As far as Texas is concerned, the deuces are the same as a big pickup (although some deed restrictions may call out lower size limits), a 5 ton is clearly a heavy truck under laws and regulations.

One of the other members here has said he kept a 5 ton brake drum when he sold his 5 ton, and whenever he feels the need to buy another, he just goes out and tries to pick up the drum...

Of course, all of the above is not to say I don't want a 5-ton ! (Or even better, something bigger like a M920.) But, I can't even sort of justify a 5 ton, as there is nothing I would do with it I can't do with my deuce.

ford

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing about size. I didn't realize that the 5 ton would be classified as a heavy truck so I definitely don't want to go that route. Looks like it will be the M35A2 then. Now I just need to take a ride in one and learn more about them...and find one!

I recall some of the pictures I saw of members doing work to their 5 tons and remember thinking that I would need to get a fork lift too.

Im also not sure where I'm going to store this thing. Im moving at the end of the year and not sure where too so I may just find a storage unit that will hold it for now.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. I think the deuce will fit your needs nicely. Haha, it is I that keeps a 5 ton brake drum in the yard just for that reason. I just went to the GA rally in my deuce. 3 trailers (small ones) on the way up and one on the way back. I left with 205 gallons of fuel and returned with about 20 in the tank. Trip was 610 miles each way + probably 50 or 75 rolling around miles. Look at storing 250 gallons on board to get the range you want. FWIW, I burned used motor oil cut with diesel fuel.

ford

Thanks guys!

nofearnohope: I just noticed today that I missed the rally last weekend. Better late than never I guess. I have already marked my calendar for the next one though :)

Recovery: thanks for that bit of info. I had read others reporting 8-10 mpg but I guess with 1-3 trailers, 7 is pretty good. I saw some posts on adding an additional tank but I don't recall seeing any about more than 1 aux tank. But then again, I haven't read the entire site yet...still working on that. Have you noticed any significant change in mileage when burning straight diesel and a used oil mixture?

My hopes are that by January or Feb, Ill have my Deuce in my driveway and by March have it off the jack stands :)

airmech3839

Welcome to the site. At any rate 5 tons are harder to find with multi's in them so most wont burn any fuel. Deuces are like driving a old "big" farm truck without power steering. I drive mine daily and love it. You can get better turn radius by putting lockout hubs on the forward rear axle and the front axle. It will help on fuel economy too if you are using diesel. I would look into spin on filter adapters and a either High quality 3/4" or 1" impact gun and good air compressor for tire changes and the such.

Again welcome to the site and happy hunting!!

airmech3839

If you plan to burn WMO or WVO then I would suggest adding a pyro gauge. The WMO burns hotter and you could damage a turbo(if installed). Also 100% WMO is like adding a fully loaded trailer to the truck when you hit hills and such. Loose alot of power on top end. Not as noticeable when cut with diesel.

KsM715

Welcom to the site. 5tons have power steering, less tiresome to drive. Look into the CDL thing, that can be state specific and dependent on how you register and use the truck.

Just to tease you Ill include pics of two of my favorite trucks seen on this site.
On side note, We have what, somewhere north of 20,000 members and no one has used the name "ford"? wow

Attachments

ford

I know! I was surprised too! Who would have thought...everywhere else I go, that name is already taken...and by people who have no reason to! My name is actually Ford. So back off my username!

Also, those trucks are beastly! I love them. The tan one is what I would like mine to look like. Except for the tan. And I don't want to bob it. I guess I want to front to look like that one. But I want a hard top. Im still trying to decide between a boxed back or open. Im pretty handy with my shop tools and figured I could make sides and a top for the back that I can remove or open up if I wanted. I can make use of both an open cargo area and a closed in box. So many plans for my future Deuce!

I think I would need a CDL here in Texas for the 5 ton and I have actually already looked in to that for a previous project but decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.

Last edited:

nofearnohope

You will need to get someone else to verify this, but I think if you register your 5ton as a former military vehicle, you do not need a CDL because it falls under the RV classification. Don't quote me on this, but I think this is true.

ford

Interesting. Even still, I think the comments about the size of parts and rarity have set my mind on the 2.5 ton instead. I don't need a headache on top of the project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks