• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the CUCV club..

mikey

I just picked up an 86 M1009 in what appears to be very good condition. I drove it home about 500 miles with no issues except Gen 2 light coming on. I'll test the high side battery and if that passes rebuild the regulator on the high side alternator ASAP.

I've read the -10 tm and will read the rest as necessary. Right now I'm reading as much as I can in the CUCV forum.

One issue I'm having is the alignment. From what I'm reading this could be a number of factors, but assuming its nothing major in the front end, is it true that most big name alignment shops (Jack Williams by me) should have no problem doing an alignment on the M1009 if I check it in as a K5 blazer?

Thanks!

Mikey

10625060_10205593929076435_1637026455527523885_n.jpg12241245_10205593928316416_6032021780310971091_n.jpg12418109_10205593929876455_5416176913369887036_n.jpg12495021_10205593930116461_8453551101457363480_n.jpg12509251_10205593928156412_5124342174600963302_n.jpg12510291_10205593929516446_3009049288665748765_n.jpg12541163_10205593927476395_3095613954985419297_n.jpg

cucvrus

Congratulations on the purchase. It is a standard 1984 Chevrolet K5 Blazer. The entire run 1984-1987 were built from the 1983/84 blue prints. The issue with the M1009 at this point in the front end as I have been finding is ball joints and worn out tie rod ends. It may pay you to invest some time and money into replacing all the tie rods and ball joints. Also you want the check/look at the center steering link for straightness. Many are bent from hitting things over the years. Minor bends are not a problem. The alignment shop can adjust for that. But any major or severe bends should warrant replacement of the center steering link. Check this center link closely. Some hacks may have straightened it and it may have cracks and welds on it. I bad one with a piece of angle welding to it. I recommend not straightening them if they are severely bent . My life and my family's life is not worth skipping and taking short cuts on vehicles. Not to mention others on the road as well. The good thing is all the front end parts are available and are relatively inexpensive for the do it yourself-er. Good luck I like to start from the front and work my way back and change everything that wears and can cause issues down the road. Especially heading into mid winter. I use a lot of Autozone parts and they have a lifetime warranty and are local and inexpensive. Good Luck with your build and have a great day. Your experiences may vary from mine and others also.

mikey

Congratulations on the purchase. It is a standard 1984 Chevrolet K5 Blazer. The entire run 1984-1987 were built from the 1983/84 blue prints. The issue with the M1009 at this point in the front end as I have been finding is ball joints and worn out tie rod ends. It may pay you to invest some time and money into replacing all the tie rods and ball joints. Also you want the check/look at the center steering link for straightness. Many are bent from hitting things over the years. Minor bends are not a problem. The alignment shop can adjust for that. But any major or severe bends should warrant replacement of the center steering link. Check this center link closely. Some hacks may have straightened it and it may have cracks and welds on it. I bad one with a piece of angle welding to it. I recommend not straightening them if they are severely bent . My life and my family's life is not worth skipping and taking short cuts on vehicles. Not to mention others on the road as well. The good thing is all the front end parts are available and are relatively inexpensive for the do it yourself-er. Good luck I like to start from the front and work my way back and change everything that wears and can cause issues down the road. Especially heading into mid winter. I use a lot of Autozone parts and they have a lifetime warranty and are local and inexpensive. Good Luck with your build and have a great day. Your experiences may vary from mine and others also.
Thank you sir! I met you at RC when your cucv broke down (fuel filters if I remember?). Perhaps I'll see you at the next rc, although I'll still wheel in my 5ton.

Mikey

mikey

Mikey - Please read through my thread before you drop the coin for an alignment.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?125140-M1009-Tie-Rod-End-Replacement-Project

Inspect all front end components including bushings, hubs, bearings, brakes, and brake lines. I can almost guarantee that most of the components are factory OEM.
Thank you! Your write up is absolute gold. Just another reason why I love these forums. The TM's are no substitute for real world experience or the people who share those experiences.

Mikey

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're very welcome, sir. My M1009 is my daily driver. I need it to be rock solid reliable, and it is. I think the Rancho stabilizer was well worth the money.

I've received far more knowledge and information from SS than I've contributed. I documented the entire process of my rebuild to give a small portion back. I'm glad it's helped others. Makes me even MORE proud to be a Steel Soldier!!!
:driver::jumpin::mrgreen:

mikey

I've used these on my Samurai and they work great. Unfortunately they did not fit over my D60 front hub so I couldn't use them on my M1031. I will have to bore out the center but they do fit 6x5.5 pattern. They will pay for themselves with your first alignment.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/diy-alignment-toe-set-tool-3-patterns-diy-tst.html
They may be cheaper than an alignment, but I'm not into magnetic angle finders and Jack Williams laser will be way more accurate than my tape measure lol.

Mikey

cucvrus

Thank you sir! I met you at RC when your cucv broke down (fuel filters if I remember?). Perhaps I'll see you at the next rc, although I'll still wheel in my 5ton.

Mikey
Well hopefully that breaking down don't happen again. that comes from inferior parts replacement. i replaced the motor mounts on my M1009 the week before the Rausch Creek run and they were sagging and allowed the engine to sit down in far enough to hit the fuel pump fuel feed line on the frame on hard pulls. Where would I have done hard pulls at Rausch Creek. Going forward I use Energy Suspension mounts. Beats the pants off of any replacements I found. I have installed a half dozen pairs on others CUCV's and a few on my own. $60. at Autozone and done. Last time I will be doing that repair on that vehicle. I plan on being at Rausch Creek. Hopefully before April 17 that is when all our memberships expire. So if we could pull of another spring run it would be a huge savings for all. Unless you did not join the day we were there in April. Good Luck. I have Terminus M1009 all ready to go. Just waiting for the word.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks