• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New (to us) M1079 A1

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Scout Troop just acquired this M1079 A1. Our thought was to use it to haul our MKT that we use 4 or 5 times a year. I'm not sure on the year model yet, Some of the paperwork says it's a 2004, other papers say 2006. It seems to be fairly complete and in really good condition. It has 1258 miles on it. Everything seems to work properly. We really haven't had the chance to run it around yet to see if anything pops up but it looks promising. Our thought was to put a freezer, fridge, ice machine, shelving, dry storage and maybe even a cot or two in the back to support out MKT. I'm sure there are some upgrades to various things that everyone does, some research will bear that out. Any suggestions would be welcome. I know a battery disconnect will be something we do soon, key the doors is another. Of course figuring out the A/C situation for the cab will be high on that list.
Before anyone comments on why is a Boy Scout Troop needs all that equipment, we use the MKT for various fundraisers as well as providing food for charity events for no charge. The truck will make it safer and easier for us to do those things. We do have an annual week long camp where we serve between 150 and 200 people every year, we don't use it for weekend campouts.
thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

IMHO get some donated help to really clean her up and get everything operating tip top shape. Super Paint job and all the nicey nicey things... then sell it and invest the money in solid govt. bonds or the likes. By the time your Webelos will have become Scouts and not much later you'll find them graduating from HS. From the sell and they investments, you will have in hand some awesome college scholarships available. Do it wisely and you'll have available scholarships for decades.

Get a local trade school involved and do it all at an even higher quality..... outfit it as an Expedition Camper and Quadruple the price..... follow the same pattern of sell and invest and you could have scholarships available for a half a century.

Last edited:

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must be out of touch on the value of this truck. We currently have 37 young men in the Troop. with 6 - 10 graduating every year, we would have to have quite the investment manager to have that many scholarships available every year. Unless of course this truck is worth 50K. I do appreciate your opinion though.

coachgeo

I must be out of touch on the value of this truck. We currently have 37 young men in the Troop. with 6 - 10 graduating every year, we would have to have quite the investment manager to have that many scholarships available every year. Unless of course this truck is worth 50K. I do appreciate your opinion though.
50k is not out of the picture.

kc5mzd

Nice Truck! I would add a big screen TV, air conditioning and some recliners for the scout leaders!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
That truck, titled and in good mechanical condition would bring around 22-26K if you waited for the right buyer. In 3 months if a ton of van trucks get released for auction the price will come down. Titling it as a camper would be a plus for resale.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck, titled and in good mechanical condition would bring around 22-26K if you waited for the right buyer. In 3 months if a ton of van trucks get released for auction the price will come down. Titling it as a camper would be a plus for resale.
I may have a chance to buy an M1087A1. How do you justify (to the DMV, or inspection facility) titling such a truck as an RV or camper? Just curious because I had the same thought.

Bhpdbrad

I may have a chance to buy an M1087A1. How do you justify (to the DMV, or inspection facility) titling such a truck as an RV or camper? Just curious because I had the same thought.
Laws vary from State to State on the registration requirements for vehicle to be considered a 'RV'.

Some people think that throwing a cot in a trailer is 'calling it good' to change their registration from a commercial vehicle to a recreational vehicle - but it won't fly.

The typical definition is the vehicle must be "capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes". The bathroom and kitchen are key factors - not just a bucket and an ice chest.

California refers to the Health & Safety Code:
“Recreational vehicle” means both of the following:

(a) A motor home, travel trailer, truck camper, or camping trailer, with or without motive power, designed for human habitation for recreational, emergency, or other occupancy, that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) It contains less than 320 square feet of internal living room area, excluding built-in equipment, including, but not limited to, wardrobe, closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms.
(2) It contains 400 square feet or less of gross area measured at maximum horizontal projections.
(3) It is built on a single chassis.
(4) It is either self-propelled, truck-mounted, or permanently towable on the highways without a permit.
(b) A park trailer, as defined in Section 18009.3.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think if you put a bed and some other living quarters items in it and tell them it's a camper I don't see why DMV wouldn't let you register it that way.

kc5mzd

Here in Texas they usually let you register your personal vehicles however you plan to use them. If you use a vehicle registered as a camper to haul freight or for hire the fines are severe enough to keep people from trying to cheat the system. There is also the option or registering it as a "previous military vehicle". It falls under the antique vehicle category without the age requirements. If they are using it only at special events such as large scouting camp outs then it probably would qualify. Registration fees are only about 10.00 per year.

coachgeo

Unless someone is smoking herbs from WA or CO with a huge trust fund then, yeh, $50k is out of the question.
Should publicly clarify my statement to match PM sent month ago. "50k is not out of the picture"..... If you treat it like flipping a house....... take it.... and invest say 10 to 15 grand painting and outfitting the box as an Expo camper, and other work.... then 50k is not out of the question.

kc5mzd

Sometimes it's not about how much money you spend on the kids, It's about how much of your time and effort you are willing to give. 50k minus 30k it would take to make it worth 50k is only 20k profit. That is about a 1k per kid schollarship for a 100k degree. It is just not worth the effort. Instead if you spend $1,000 of your time on each kid when they are still young enough to benefit you will receive a much higher return in the long run.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice rig thtrev. It seems like a noble use for the truck and I'm sure the kids are something more than proud to be on a campout with such a cool troop vehicle. My truck was basically a personal toy to haul stuff around home and cruise with my kids, so I certainly can't comment on the choice for the troop. I'm sure if you asked most here, they would gladly take their MV on a boy scout campout and enjoy the exposure and comradery. Thanks for sharing and showing us a good use for a 1079 and a MKT.

coachgeo

Sometimes it's not about how much money you spend on the kids, It's about how much of your time and effort you are willing to give. 50k minus 30k it would take to make it worth 50k is only 20k profit. That is about a 1k per kid schollarship for a 100k degree. It is just not worth the effort. Instead if you spend $1,000 of your time on each kid when they are still young enough to benefit you will receive a much higher return in the long run.
20k will buy a pyramid of bonds that will grow and become a much much larger endowment. Your very right though about investing time and effort can potentially have as much reward to the kids though. That's why I coach in private sports setting even though get paid very little for it.

coachgeo

Everyone I have known has lost trying to invest in different pyramid schemes.
Sorry for the confusion, not talking pyramid schemes but purchasing govt. bonds in a pyramid step fashion. Set of bonds who mature in 4 years. Another set that mature in 8 years, couple of others in 16 years is one example for more immediate results. Longer terms investing for larger scholarships that don't start getting distributed till further down the road allowing for building the fund to a larger amount, then on forward a flat amount is always re-invested and profit are used for scholarships.

but..... Im not an investor, banker, funds guy.... only a coach. Talk to a real money person for better info.

kc5mzd

Isn't the intrest rate about 1%. Inflation would eat up any profit not to mention the rate the cost of education is rising you would end up with more dollars but much less money or value.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks