• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be calm, the seat is still usable, nekkedity was mentioned but forbidden for precisely that reason. That and I don't want Sarge nekked in ANY of my vehicles (or out of them either!). :shock:

I shot some video from the turret (fun place to ride!) while Sarge was driving, I think he laughed the whole time.
I was relieved that he wasn't any better at shifting than I was initially. I swear those gear shift slots move around... Getting better though, with practice.

It really is fun to finally have the V done to the point of being able to ride around in it. :jumpin:
Cheers

B3.3T

You gotta do the heim joint mod on the shift linkage if you ever what it to shift consistently. My 6 year old can shift mine now.

baseballump

Guys Just a question do your Vs have that weak duce and a half rear end?? If they do and I an sure yous know this the axle like to brake.
Also, the V is one of the most fun vehicles to drive. A little OJT goes a long way. We tried to stay out of 1st, gear and 4wheel drive, becasuse for some reason once you got them into those gears they didn't want to come out.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
B3.3t, can you show me what you mean? I'd be VERY interested in some consistency in this shift pattern, and I welcome your expertise here. [thumbzup]

Here are a couple of shots of my setup.

Cheers

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys Just a question do your Vs have that weak duce and a half rear end?? If they do and I an sure yous know this the axle like to brake.
Also, the V is one of the most fun vehicles to drive. A little OJT goes a long way. We tried to stay out of 1st, gear and 4wheel drive, becasuse for some reason once you got them into those gears they didn't want to come out.
I have heard the rear end is weak (mine has the original slightly modified deuce axles), and try to stay out of first gear. My first gear/2wd lockout plate kept jamming, so it isn't in there currently. I have noticed that if you put it in 1st, it makes it hard to find 2nd without scrunching the gears. I'm hoping B3.3T has some good advice for me to make this shifter more operator friendly. With practice I can do 2-3-4 pretty well now, I'd have to take it out on the road to hit 5th again.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slightly off topic, but .....

Just got back from California late last night, brought one of our nation's newest Marines home with me for a well deserved leave...:jumpin:
Even after 32 years since I was last there, the base hasn't changed much, I could still find my way around, and they still transform a bunch of rag-tag youths into a fine bunch of Marines.

Now, where is that "beaming dad" icon?? :grin:

Cheers

Attachments

linx310

Saw the pics of your V-100 over on the lonestar mvpa website...I really need to join ya guys...

Love the woodland camo. Much better then the blue and tan ones I have seen.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Linx. I really do like how it looks in that camo.
And yes, you should come play with us, we have a pretty good time.

Since Linx brought it up, and now that the trip to see my Marine graduate is done, I should post some pics on the V's debut.

The Central Texas Airshow is held in Temple each year, the first weekend of May. It is a big event for our club, the Lone Star MVPA. We usually go set up early on the Friday and stay until Sunday afternoon.

The last few years the show has included a Vietnam scenario, where a convoy gets attacked by the VC, then all the appropriate aircraft are brought in for support of the ground action. The vehicles are mostly LSMVPA, the ground re-enactors are G Company, associated with the museum on Camp Mabry (they also do WWII).
This part of the show has proved to be really popular with the public, and has been specifically asked, by the audience, to be repeated .

We try to be close to period correct, but you get by with what you have. It is really more about a good show than strict historical accuracy. That is why they have a PBJ (Marine B-25) portraying the A-26 which didn't show. So I don't feel at all bad about having a 383 camo V out there. The M113 the museum usually brings is 383 also.

In a lot of the Vietnam period photos I have seen, before the units started welding mounts on, the V100's had a field expedient mount for either a .30 mg or an M60 on the back. This was quite simply a tripod strapped to the deck by the rear hatch. I put one on mine for this show.

My crew for the re-enactment were my younger son in the turret, and Barrman's son in the radio hatch. They were using a couple of AK's with blanks (courtesy of Pawnshop) to make noise, since my gas .50 isn't set up yet. Those blanks are LOUD!

Over the weekend, my boy guarded 'his' V like a Rottweiler. He never strayed far from it, made sure it was secured when he did, and he even slept in it at night. At one point all four kids with us were not in evidence, but a quick check found them in the V playing a card game.

The gun truck in the pictures is Quonsethut's.
Pic 1 - Trailering the V up to Temple. Thanks Sarge!!
Pic 5 is all SS- one of my M1009s, with Sermis' bobbed deuce behind it; my M185, then Pawnshop's M109, the V, and the gun truck. Sarge had already run off with his M820.
Pic 7 - that sweet M715 is Barrman's.
Pic 8 - You can just see the AC-47 at the top of the picture. I like the gun truck in the mirror.
Pic 9 - my 'guard' daring you to come close with your funnel cake! That picture has the air of a period photo to me. The trashcan kinda spoils some of the effect though....

Link to the LSMVPA website-
Temple Air Show

Cheers

PS- I know Pawnshop must have some good photos from the crowd perspective, he takes some great shots. [thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited:

B3.3T

The right side shifting link; the part it attaches to at the transmission is the bell crank. The bell crank pivot needs to be snug fit with no play or you will be fishing for gears. As for rear axle problems, in the context of 18 year old GIs vs. adults...enough said. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

baseballump

Rory your boys did he same things we did in Nam. Slept in our Vs, played cards on the insides when we could. And took care of our vehicles. The driver was in charge unless we had a NCO with us. And the driver was the radio man. Our rear gunners found they didn't like gun mounts they just got in the was for moving the 60 around.

Pawnshop

And a hardy WELL DONE to the new Marine! One of the proudest moments of my life was watching my little brother march on that very same parade deck and earn the Title back in 1990, I can only imagine how you felt!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The right side shifting link; the part it attaches to at the transmission is the bell crank. The bell crank pivot needs to be snug fit with no play or you will be fishing for gears.
Thanks, I will be checking/adjusting that this week (with my Marine helper!). I really appreciate the help/advice here and in the PM's. [thumbzup]

By the way, you recognize the M60? :grin:

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And a hardy WELL DONE to the new Marine! One of the proudest moments of my life was watching my little brother march on that very same parade deck and earn the Title back in 1990, I can only imagine how you felt!
One of the proudest moments of my life was marching down that same parade deck 32 years ago, and being addressed as Marine for the first time on graduation day.
But I think watching one of my sons do the same thing was perhaps even better. His Senior DI said good things too, about how he really earned his title, not only pulled his own weight, but helped others along too. I can't even describe how proud I am of that young man.
Meeting some of the other young Marines out there helped bolster my faith in the future of this fine country.

Barrman's boy is of the same quality, he is a polite, respectful, bright and enthusiastic lad, with great care for the property of others. That is why I asked him to crew the V with us, I know I can trust him in there. It is a pleasure to have a kid like him around.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks