• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb here, question from the wiser Deuce owners

ZombK

Total newb here, and have never owned an MV. I served 6 years in the army, so I do have experience driving plenty of them. I'm going to be moving cross country in about a year, to a year and a half (2300 miles) I don't have a truck to transport all my stuff in (4 bedroom house) so I figured I'd go the uhaul route. But then I was approached by a fellow I work with who picks up old deuces, fixes them up, and sells them off (typically at a loss, or very small profit, mainly due to the fact that the deuces are a hobby of his) He said he could sell me a deuce with good tires, soft top, no winch, that he's gone completely through, for about 3500 bucks.

A uhaul rental would be about 2000, and fuel would probably be about 1000, to 1500 (guestimating) The deuce would be 3500, and fuel would be about 2000. But my question for y'all is this, how much s**t could I fit in a deuce, and would it make it across 2300 miles without a problem? And what else should I take into consideration before making my decision?

Also, is there a trailer I could towe my car on, that I could also fit more stuff on around the vehicle? (4 door sedan)

And how much would bowes and canvas cost for the deuce?

Thanks for any and all input!

Last edited:

gunboy1656

As much as I hate to say it go with the Uhaul, a 4 bedroom house would not fit on a deuce in one trip. and even if it did it would be a VERY slow trip towing a loaded car behind the deuce.

The deuce COULD make the trip as long as you made sure you know everything is good with the truck, had a list of members along the way in case of trouble, a bunch of spare parts. and so on.

Bows and canvas (or vinyl) run around 500 for a complete set (canvas is a little more).

There have been members who have gone cross country in their truck. Do some searching in the mean time to find out their experiences.

Jimma

It would work. With top and bows you would just need to measure the cubic feet of volume that it would hold. Understand that its a 12 foot bed, not a 24 foot uhaul and the inside heigth is much different in a deuce. You must make sure you compare apples with apples so you dont shortchange yourself on capacity. Weight would not be a problem. You could also haul your car on a flat bed behind it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would do the U-HAUL, if it breaks down U-HAUL fixses it, you will get more in, more comfort, be cheaper in the long run, a 2300 mile trip is not the best idea for a NEW TO MVs owner, there is a bunch of reasons why not, I just listed a few

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Oh just for reference, I rented a 17' uhaul before I had my deuce. It took me 3 trips to get moved, and that was a 2 bedroom, full basement and garage.

91W350

Your deuce would be worth more when you got out west as the truck numbers are much lower there. Depending upon the weight of your car, what you packed in your car and your choice of trailer, you could run into braking issues as well. Deuces have an air brake system for trailer braking. A very odd one at that, you would want to wire in electric trailer brakes, most likely, and that would be complicated with the 24 volt system. I hate to say it, but I think UHaul is more feasible. Glen

whyme

moved myself from my small 1 bedroom apt with mine. it was packed solid and not enough room. furniture took up alot of space and i only had a small sofa, chair, dresser and small table, the rest was packed in and around filling all the free space. also consider the cargo cover isnt perfect at keeping water out when your on the road, will be a long slow ride, and if it goes down your up a creek.

now if your u haul wont fit it all then as an overflow vehicle i say do it, youll get there and have a cool truck too.

edit: on a side note, if you do decide to drive a deuce try and contact some members along your planned route and get their contact info folks here are very helpful and could give you assistance if necessary.

Last edited:

5ton4ever

Also, factor in your trip time because a deuce is going about 50 mph on flat ground. It will be a LOT slower on hills. Also factor in some states require a class B licence for vehicles with 3 axles over 10,000 gvw. I would rent the u-haul, move, then buy your mv.:cool:

Heavysteven

With all the tools and spare parts you would need to drive 2,300 miles there would be little room for cargo.

Do you have photo's of the truck your looking at?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ZOMBK, hopefully we'll see you at the Aberdeen show in May.

I suggest the UHAUL route, too. You can always find a truck for that price later or cheaper if you are willing to take the auction risks and can fix some stuff yourself.

ODw/envy

Though trip either way. I've done it 3 times in a 26' Uhaul. 56mph governed. The drive though NM and west Tx is a nightmare at that speed. I would buy a truck after moving. Of course my workshop, alone, will not fit on a deuce. Good luck either way. If you come through Tucson feel free to look me up.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Total newb here, and have never owned an MV. I served 6 years in the army, so I do have experience driving plenty of them. I'm going to be moving cross country in about a year, to a year and a half (2300 miles) I don't have a truck to transport all my stuff in (4 bedroom house) so I figured I'd go the uhaul route. But then I was approached by a fellow I work with who picks up old deuces, fixes them up, and sells them off (typically at a loss, or very small profit, mainly due to the fact that he is a poor businessman, but a good mechanic, and the deuces are a hobby of his) He said he could sell me a deuce with good tires, soft top, no winch, that he's gone completely through, for about 3500 bucks.

A uhaul rental would be about 2000, and fuel would probably be about 1000, to 1500 (guestimating) The deuce would be 3500, and fuel would be about 2000. But my question for y'all is this, how much s**t could I fit in a deuce, and would it make it across 2300 miles without a problem? And what else should I take into consideration before making my decision?

Also, is there a trailer I could towe my car on, that I could also fit more stuff on around the vehicle? (4 door sedan)

And how much would bowes and canvas cost for the deuce?

Thanks for any and all input!
Here is a link to a site member's thread that moved long distance. Maybe he could give you some pointers on how to get the rest of your stuff moved that doesn't fit in a deuce or a U haul. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/military-vehicle-road-trips/29234-el-paso-texas-mantua-ohio.html

I think gimpyrobb has some taller LMTV truck covers.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/54396-taller-gargo-cover.html#post625588

Last edited:

gmayor

truck

Oh I agree with the rental truck. A deuce is a tactical vehicle for short haul. Doesn't sound like thats what your doing. Your friend has a nice idea to sell one of his trucks. Just my thoughts.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This idea has worked for other folks...you might want to consider it.

Get a school bus......take out the seats (leaving one or two for passengers or to sleep on).

They are cheap and available and most have been well maintained....they are usually sold when they hit a certain milage.

You can pack a lot of stuff in one and your stuff will be protected from the elements and theft. You can pull a trailer with one ( a bus is just a big truck with a passenger body on it).
They are made to run at highway speeds and the newer ones have automatics and diesel engines.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

G-Force

Awe Heck Guys........DO IT......Take pics and start a thread on here as you're doing it........
And if all your stuff don't fit........make two trips!!!!!![thumbzup]

ZombK

Well guys, thanks for the overwhelming, 18 post response in less than 8 hours! I'm in a bit of a conundrum here though. I NEED good, legitimate, reason to give my wife, as to why it is an absolute necessity to get a deuce! Although, as I was writing this, and laughing to myself, she read every single post, and I think she's slowly but surely getting acclimated to the idea. You see, we have four bedrooms, but a lot of what I call "throw away" furniture. You know, stuff you would fill a barracks room up with, then give to goodwill before you PCS. So we really have something a little closer to two bedrooms worth of stuff.

I think I'm going to measure all the closet space we have, the furniture, and add on roughly 30%. Then I'll check out the cubic feet of the deuce, and see what we have. At the same time, I still have the problem with reliability. Driving cross country in a tactical vehicle is NOT my idea of a good time... Unless I could smoke unlimited cigars, and have my dog in the passenger seat. Which I would!![thumbzup] And the slow trip wouldn't bother me too much. I've driven cross country at 55mph before. I'd probably take it at 50 in the deuce, just to treat her real nice. And apparently I might need a class B. Though, that's not that big of a deal. I have a class C with hazmat and air brakes. It's pretty silly not to have a class B to accompany it.

I suppose the real deciding factors here are A: how much does a deuce cost on the west coast, as opposed to the east coast?

And B: What percentage chance would I have of breaking down on the way to california?

I have to say you guys have me pretty convinced on the uhaul side of the house...

Thanks for all the responses! I am very appreciative! And when/where is the aberdeen show in may? I assume on Aberdeen proving grounds, but what day?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks