• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb roaded M816 from CO to WY

wcuhillbilly

Ok, new to SS been lurking in the shadows for a while. Pirate and Cumminsforum was where I called home untill now.
Situation:
Bought an M816 Wrecker for use with my part time side business and fulfill a lifelong dream of MV ownership.:clinto: I will be roading the 816 home from western Colorado near Rifle/Carbondale area up to northeast WY in approx 2 weeks. Being im an experianced diesel mechanic and truck driver the operational side doesnt bother me, what spooks me is the unfamiliarity with this particular system. I need advice on conversions such as Mil spec oil being 15/40 or brake fluid being DOT 3,4, or 5. Particulars that you would bring with you if you were headed out to pick up a truck of your own. Common size wrenches, quirks related to these trucks etc. I know the front steer tires (11/20s) will need to be swapped out prior to roading, thus is there a shop around Marble/Carbondale that can do that?
Figgured on taking the 4runner down with a tow dolly modded for the Pintle and using the wrecker to tow the dolly/4runner back, Thus wiring up a 24-12vdc adapter under the dash for charging cell phone and running a wire to battery on 4 runner to keep it topped off while running hazards on the 4 runner.
Also, does anyone know of a good set of earmuff type hearing protection with 2way coms built in... not looking forward to using the foam marshmallows in the ear canals....

Looking forward to getting the M816 safely in the front yard. Thanks in advance for all tips and hints

Joe S.

Sorry, meant to put this in the general section, not the hotrodding sections....

Last edited:

wcuhillbilly

Newb roading 816 from western Co to northern WY. help,, need input....

Ok, new to SS been lurking in the shadows for a while. Pirate and Cumminsforum was where I called home untill now.
Situation:
Bought an M816 Wrecker for use with my part time side business and fulfill a lifelong dream of MV ownership.:clinto: I will be roading the 816 home from western Colorado near Rifle/Carbondale area up to northeast WY in approx 2 weeks. Being im an experianced diesel mechanic and truck driver the operational side doesnt bother me, what spooks me is the unfamiliarity with this particular system as far as fix it in the wal-mart parking lot.. As i crawl through the wealth of knowledge on this site I am asking for some of your absolute need to know infor for this immediate trip.. I need advice on conversions such as Mil spec oil being 15/40 or brake fluid being DOT 3,4, or 5. Particulars that you would bring with you if you were headed out to pick up a truck of your own. Common size wrenches, quirks related to these trucks etc. I know the front steer tires (11/20s) will need to be swapped out prior to roading, thus is there a shop around Marble/Carbondale that can do that?
Figgured on taking the 4runner down with a tow dolly modded for the Pintle and using the wrecker to tow the dolly/4runner back, Thus wiring up a 24-12vdc adapter under the dash for charging cell phone and running a wire to battery on 4 runner to keep it topped off while running hazards on the 4 runner.
Also, does anyone know of a good set of earmuff type hearing protection with 2way coms built in... not looking forward to using the foam marshmallows in the ear canals....

Looking forward to getting the M816 safely in the front yard. Thanks in advance for all tips and hints

Joe S.

dmetalmiki

With a journey of about 200 miles? if the truck is deemed to start run and drive properley..you should be good with taking most all of your usefull spanners (you own as a mecanic) Oils if the levels are ok and of recent change you could use any quality brand deisel engine oil. (I use a straight grade 30 in everything In my collection). Brake fluid make sure the fluid in the master cylinder is as specified on the dash plate as it might be silicone. (only). spare batteries oils brake fluid water in your follow vehicle. Noise cancelling head gear is readily avaviable. That will be a nice steady drive without too much of a problem IF your truck is in the outlined state. all the other essential checks I am sure you are more than (familiar with) capable with your experience. am sure others will add more advice..take care , take it steady (2000 rpm is good ) 40 mph is good for a safe cruise. Keep us informed and Pictures please. good luck enjoy your journey and the truck.

Another Ahab

Also, does anyone know of a good set of earmuff type hearing protection with 2way coms built in...

Joe S.
Company named PELTOR makes these:

- http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/peltor-ear-protection-peltor-headsets-earmuffs.html

And welcome here from the Grand Old Commonwealth of Virginia.

KaiserM109

Let me know when you role through Denver, unless you take the Northern route. Rifle, CO is my old stomping grounds. Today I call Aurora, CO east of Denver home, though I still call myself a Western Sloper.

Personally, I would recommend you use I-70 then I-25 because you will be near civilization if you break down. I once took the northern route between Gillette, WY and Grand Junction, CO and ran out of gas in Baggs, WY. I had to wait 8 hr. for the gas joint to open up, and then it was his wife who took pity on me. Her husband was off antelope hunting; you probably know about that!

Arlyn

Last edited:

wcuhillbilly

considered I-70 but being its a slow moving 36k lbs hunk of steel I didnt really want to play with Eisenhower or Vail if I didnt have too. To many idiots and Colo HP. DMV says that I have 36hrs from time of "bill of Sale"/ signed title to get it out of the state via driving, thus I was thinking to slip out the back door via secondary roads up to Laramie or wheatland and up to Gillette. WYo says "run up to 30 days" on a sighned bill of sale and title.. that is more than enough time to get it home, tagged, taxed, title transfer, etc.
Not to mention, I once took a turbo'd 6.2 ina CUCCV pulling a 72 Chevy 4x4 on a trailer up Vail out of Glenwood Springs, almost melted it down on top of Vail. was not a good day.

Ahab,,, nice cans....ROFLMAO

Last edited:

ThatXJGuy

I know with the brake fluid on the older trucks they put in DOT 3 in the beginning and then the trucks were switched over to DOT 5 but some were not. It is easy to check which fluid you have a dropper, just drop a sample in a cup of water and if it floats on top like oil, its Dot 5 and if it sinks in its Dot 3. Both of the trucks I bought still had DOT 3 and both needed the brakes bled before they would work. Bleeding them is similar to bleeding any hydraulic brake system but you bleed the master cylinder and air pack then the wheel cylinders. The TM has a good procedure.

Mine both have different engines than yours but on everything else like the brakes its all Standard sizes between 3/8 and 3/4 as far as wrenches and sockets to bring. One of mine had loose lug nuts so you may want to bring something for that. Belts would be a smart idea although I didn't have any issues with either of mine. A lot depends on the condition of the truck of course, mine had been sitting for 8 and 20 years so your recovery may be a very different story...

Mine were not too horribly loud to where I couldn't stand the drive but again, different engines, different trucks.

Nice to know that there is somebody else on here from WYO!

wcuhillbilly

thanks XJ.
Current owner has been using it in a landscaping business and from all appearnaces it is in really nice shape. Got to swap the spare on or single out the rear axle to remove the two steer tires as they both have chunks missing big enough to cause concern. In his email last nite he stated that he didnt have any concerns about it driving to Glenwood Springs to the tire shop up there for the swap out or replacement of the 11/20s NDT. He did state that he thought the brakes were a little slack, and that when he got the truck 4 years ago from Salt Lake DRMO, they added some fluid before he left.. thus I was wanting to pack the correct stuff when I went.
Looking to road it up the western slope and cut back towards laramie and sybill canyon over to Wheatland, can anyone advise a good route? trying to stay out of Eisenhower or denver due to the traffic and proximity of highway men.....

ThatXJGuy

Both of my trucks had no brakes what so ever but a 15 minute bleed job and both work flawlessly. I would definitely pick the least populated route with lower speeds like 65mph highways vs. 75 mph freeways. My M-55 bounces and shakes so bad 65 is scary and my wrecker M-62 doesn't do more than 50 before I run out of gears (and I don't like to hold it over 2000 RPM for that long), but again, different trucks. Just sharing my experience. Luckily I only had to drive my M-62 45 miles or so to get it home, and the M-55 I trailered the 300 miles home.

61sleepercab

I would suggest a short local run to get everything to get up to temperature then check fluid levels, seals, drivability, tire condition ,top speed. A shake down might turn up any show stoppers to be found. Good luck and be safe.

fasttruck

Power steering is 10 weight motor oil (OE10) and don't overfill it. engine is 15-4 0E and gear boxes are GO 90. Grease is cheap and parts are expensive. This truck has almost 100 grease points. read the reading: get the pubs: operator's manual, organizational manual, parts book and a lubrication order. Most trucks have had DOT 5 for the last 20 years. They put a decal in the cab when they were changed from DOT3 so look for this.

Monkeyboyarmy

Don't switch the fuel tanks while on the trip. Just run the tank that it is on. The fuel lines have a tendency to dry rot. Make sure that the front glad hand with the vent is clear or the brakes will slowly lock up. Check the gear lube in the trans and transfer. They can leak and you will get roughly 4.2 miles out of it before the bearings fail. Make sure the crain drive is disengaged. Make sure the 4 way flashers work...you are going to need them on inclines.

Another Ahab

Don't switch the fuel tanks while on the trip. Just run the tank that it is on. The fuel lines have a tendency to dry rot. Make sure that the front glad hand with the vent is clear or the brakes will slowly lock up. Check the gear lube in the trans and transfer. They can leak and you will get roughly 4.2 miles out of it before the bearings fail. Make sure the crain drive is disengaged. Make sure the 4 way flashers work...you are going to need them on inclines.
That's interesting:

- Not "4"
- Not "4-to-5"
- But "4.2"

Sounds like a voice of experience. I there a story here, Monkeyboy?

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good points. I was recovering a M931A2 and switched from one tank to the other and came to a halt about 8.5 miles later. It took another day to figure that the truck would run fine on one tank, but not the other. It takes a lot of priming and cranking to get it running again after you run out of fuel. If you don't want to test it before you leave, you can bring a transfer pump and keep the other tank as a reserve storage.

With the cost of fuel and the mileage you'll get with that 40K lb truck, you'll only save about $4-500 over the cost of shipping. My last tow bill for a 1-mile tow in town was $600, so your savings will disappear quickly if you need to call a tow truck. My wrecker runs great locally, but after 50 miles, I had a smoking hot wheel from a lightly dragging brake. If it were me, I'd find a shipper to haul it for about $3/mile.

wcuhillbilly

Thanks for the advice guys. Modified the tow dolly with a second tongue for the pintle on the 816 last nite, looks goofy but the yota will ride behind the 816 now. Got a co-driver going with me for help with the heavy lifting and driving. As of now the plan is to leave here on sunday nite and shift drive to glenwood by morning, swap the steer tires and head north to try and make laramie by dark. Grab a room in Laramie and finish out on Tues. Taking a plethora of batteries, transfer pump, lube, tools, and a converter for 24-12v to keep the cell phone charged and the yota battery up. current owner said he changed out the fuel lines about a year ago due to some dry rot, and Ive seen the write up on the selector valve. Taking enough fuel line with me to re route if need be... Been pouring over the TM's and Lube order wracking my brain for any possible scenario. Put my buddy with a lowboy on standby incase it all goes south, as he is a good bootleg trucker. Heard from some friends in denver that the construction in Glenwood Canyon is a nightmare, took them almost an hour to go 8 miles. Thus Im thinking Rifle to Meeker to Craig will be the route. Hate it as it adds alot of extra miles and I didnt want to go to Rawlins. Craig to Steamboat and up to Walden is nice, but we will see how the old gal handles the hills on the secondary roads.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Thanks for the advice guys. Taking enough fuel line with me to re route if need be... Been pouring over the TM's and Lube order wracking my brain for any possible scenario. Put my buddy with a lowboy on standby incase it all goes south, as he is a good bootleg trucker.
Now THAT'S a good kind of buddy to have:

- Got to remember to send a card every Christmas!

wcuhillbilly

made it back ok, 600miles 5 miles per gallon, average speed 50mph, hit 60 a couple times on a downhill with a tail wind.... Popped a hole in the main air hose, but it was holding air good while running thus fixed when I got home. Runs good, seems to have had an overhaul in 89 and been sitting on a Utah guard base till the preivious owner got it in 2010.
Thanks for the tips and advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks