• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb roaded M816 from CO to WY

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Glad to hear you had a safe trip, now where are the pictures??

Merged your 2 threads into one.

Last edited:

wcuhillbilly

Made it back ok, 600 miles and 5 miles per gallon, average speed was 50 once I climbed out of Rifle Co. Just kept the revs below 2200 and the temp below 200, got down to 25mph on a couple hills. I was really wishing I had my 18spd or at least the old 10 spd trans that I run in the Frieghtliner.
Which makes me wonder if anyone has ever swapped in a multispeed OTR truck tranny.
Had a pinhole leak appear in the main air supply hose but it kept pressure while running enough to get home, and replaced it yesterday.
Other than pissing off a bunch of truckers due to my slow pace the trip was uneventful, just loud and slow in that big heavy green toaster.

Another Ahab

Let me know when you role through Denver, unless you take the Northern route. Rifle, CO is my old stomping grounds. Today I call Aurora, CO east of Denver home, though I still call myself a Western Sloper.

Arlyn
Glad your trip was all safe-and-sound.

Don't know Colorado real well, but know it some (Boulder, Snowmass, Telluride, and hiked a bit through the San Juan Range).

Is that a Colorado thing; and how you all split yourselves up out there, along the Divide:

- Western Slopers, and

- Eastern Slopers?

Last edited:

wcuhillbilly

Pics

GRRRR!!!!! dang computor, had pics all laid out nice and pretty and then the conection timed out and dumped everything into attached thumbnails... wish it would just ask me to log back in like Pirate or Cummins forum does........
anyhoo. pic below is in Marble colorado about a mile down the mountain from where I bought the truck. Spent much of the morning wrenching to change the steer tires/wheels and check every fluid.
found a bunch of stuff in the tool boxes that ordinarily would have been plundered if Ihad gone through a dealer. Got tags and the company name painted on the door a day after getting back, had to drive it thorugh town and give the kids a good blast on the air horn, most of them are truckers kids so it comes natural. My dog approves very much as he doesnt have to crawl under it, just mosey on over an plop down in the shade of the big diffs. Radio stuff is up for grabs, if you or some one you know wants it..... PM or Call me...gauges.jpg
Radio base.jpgRadio ant.jpgRadio speaker.jpg

Me in Marble, CO.jpg

Attachments

Another Ahab

Nice Haul!

And liking the shot on the mountain road (been a long time since I drove Colorado):

- Kind of miss that

- And all the runaway truck ramps!

Did you pass any (runaway ramps) during the drive?

wcuhillbilly

Miss the mountains myself, grew up in western NC and lived worked in Colorado Rockys for some time. didnt pass any truck ramps. took the back roads home. Marble to Glenwood I-70 over to Rifle then state road up to Meeker, craig, baggs Wy then I-80 for 20 miles to Rawlins, then up 287 to Casper, and I-25 up to Edgerton, and state road over to pine jct up state 50 to gillette, then side road 58 over to Moorcroft and 14 up to Devils Tower.. Had a guy see us in Gillette and follow us to the truck stop in Moorcroft, flagged me down at the diesel pump and asked what I would take for it,,, told him 12k, but he really wanted a duece, kept talking about how much he missed his in Nam...

funny note, as I was going into Marble, I couldnt keep my eyes on the road, seen an early 50s Willys wagon on the side of the road, turn a corner and find an old M37 Power wagon, with a 60s Power wagon sitting next too it, next bend has another willys wagon, and a bunch of old 30s trucks along with what appeared to be a few WWII dueces back in the weeds... I told my co driver, I was needing a bigger trailer and fatter wallet bad...