• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Needs Advice on HMMWV

cg25713

i'm still concerned about registration and insurance here in NY. I don't have any off-road terrain here so I definately would need to register. Any guidance on current NY registration out there?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
You are missing the turbo-doghouse cover, intake hose from box to manifold, a/c parts, doors, rear door fillers, You're missing headlights, although I see an LED light lying in one of the pictures face down in the bed. You're missing the battery retention bracket. Not sure if you have a passenger side seat and battery compartment cover that attaches to the seat. Mirrors are gone but can be replaced with aftermarket. The plug to the Cadillac Valve looks fried.

You might be missing PCB. You are missing the windshield washer water tank and pump. You need to pick up truck in person because in a couple of pictures the passenger seat is there but detached, and the turbocover is there but detached. THEY WILL DISAPPEAR if you don't get the truck personally!

Engine might be OK because the intake air hose is missing between the box and the engine. Turbo might be seized but a turbo cartridge is cheap.

You have a 4 speed tranny.
I see the dog house cover. It's sideways in the front passengers seat.

Some TLC and it will follow your home, CAMO

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i'm still concerned about registration and insurance here in NY. I don't have any off-road terrain here so I definately would need to register. Any guidance on current NY registration out there?
For New York DMV...

You need to alert them to the 6 digit code and take a picture with you of the vin as pictured on the vehicle. They need a supervisor override.

A police officer signed verification of the VIN also helps grease the wheels. I have LE friends, and if you do to then you are golden. They can write a note verifying the 6 and not 17 digit VIN

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air intake hose is visible in pictures 60 and 71 - it is tucked behind the coolant tank. The light and turn signal switches are also present, which is a plus. And the 24 bolt wheels and tires with decent tread - won't know until you see them if they have cracks or how old they are...

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

cg25713

Thank you both and all. Although there are many unknown variables - most of you seem to be inviting me in the water saying its fine once you get used to it. That's what I was looking for and I very much appreciate it.

P.S. Tobash I see you are a father and surgeon. My father was a surgeon in the army and real life and I'm a lawyer and former Brooklyn Assistant District Attorney with a NYS Pistol License holder - I think I'll try to verify the VIN myself with pics etc. as you suggest. Great idea. I have been called crotchety at times as well. Ha Ha. Thanks again all for the info, support and warm welcome. I'll keep all posted.

AtlantaSBR

All these post have me itching to post my new vehicle to see what I have missed as well.

Didn’t think about not buying it but now want to see what the experts notice that I didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear Report

Oh my... Where to start...
Default or not? How much do you value integrity?
Any at all = you committed to it. Honor your commitment.
Maybe the thing to do is complete the purchase and immediately sell it. PM me if you might want to do that. I've been looking for another project truck.

Drop in batteries and a compressor, change the fluids and filter and it should run?
Um... yeah. Good luck with that. My 2nd HMMWV had the air intake mushroom missing and it had gallons of water in it. I was able to get that engine running after a couple of weeks of effort. But I haven't heard of anyone else that was able to salvage an engine that sat full of water for years.
Usually, after they sit that long you'll have to put a new fuel lift pump, fuel injector pump, clean out the fuel tank, replace fuel lines and maybe some injectors, etc. And almost every turbo I've heard of coming out of Albany has needed to be rebuilt.
If you could handle all of that work, then swapping an engine would probably be easier.
You can see what I went through on that truck here: https://gear-report.com/hmmwv-battlewagon-2-0-m1045a2-humvee-repairs-and-upgrades-status/

All that said, I am waiting on an EUC for a non-runner 1165A1 out of Albany. A friend found it on the lot while picking up a truck and was able to start it after 15 min of trouble shooting and hooking it up to an external fuel can. The lift pump is bad, IP likely needs rebuilt... but the engine runs. BUT he works on these every day and knew exactly what to do. I'm not sure I could have gotten it running anywhere near that quickly.

Gear Report

Not sure how a 2006 is an A1, BUT if it is an A1 you will not have a four speed tranny.
He will because it is an 11 series A1.
If it were an early 998 series truck, then A1 would mean a 3 speed transmission with high back seats and a few other minor upgrades. Then the A2 added more upgrades and the 4 speed.
The 1152 are the newer series of trucks that all have 4 speed. The first round of upgrades incremented to A1. Doesn't look like a REV truck, though. Appears to have the normal hydraulic driven fan (see the cadillac valve in the pics) instead of the REV's geared fan drive.

Also. Looks like you are talking about this truck. https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Humvees-2006-AM-General-M1152A1-HMMWV-2-Door-Soft-Top-w/Truck-Body-Georgia/2809536?h=5000,sm|1,k|1152a1,sort|ad+desc,mf|1&rr=0.2&hitprm=&pnLink=yes
It is also missing the air intake connector that goes from the air filter to the intake manifold. That is a GOOD thing, as the engine can't be full of rain water. although, the truck looks like it was submerged at some point. So, it could still be full of water if the water was higher than the air intake.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[
I think defina

I think definitely rebuilt. I think it got that engine and a new speedometer in 2012 along with the super nice paint job it has. Then USMC drove it for 200 miles and parked it. Then some dumbazz mechanic needed a fording intake years ago and took yours, leaving the intake open to the rain.

Back to your original question, if I wanted a factory ECV turbo HMMWV I would keep that one. I would pick a nice paint job over a running engine. Paint job is weeks of work, engine swap is a weekend.
I cant disagree more on That statement...my advice has been to buy the mechanics of a truck and not it’s appearanc.
I could cite you example after example from invoices here in the shop.
Paint is just paint, it’s purely cosmetic, blown engine and the cost to replace would exceed the purchase price of the truck. Because many have bought the cosmetics, I’ve gone for the mechanics, thus getting a mint running and driving truck
that needs a paint job, easily accomplished in 24hrs of labor.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[

I cant disagree more on That statement...my advice has been to buy the mechanics of a truck and not it’s appearanc.
I could cite you example after example from invoices here in the shop.
Paint is just paint, it’s purely cosmetic, blown engine and the cost to replace would exceed the purchase price of the truck. Because many have bought the cosmetics, I’ve gone for the mechanics, thus getting a mint running and driving truck
that needs a paint job, easily accomplished in 24hrs of labor.
My advice on paint comes from my efforts in the past to paint prep HMMWVs like the one in the attached picture. NOTHING is more time consuming than attempting to prep a truck like this for a decent looking professional paint job. 5 or more flaking coats of military applied CARC with zero prep when applied, just paint over dirt etc. Can't sandblast it off, chemical paint stripper too slow, and DA sander takes a month plus you sand down the rivet heads which looks like crap. Agree with you that shooting the paint is super simple and most of these USMC trucks are so new that they don't have multiple coats of paint.

Attachments

Reactions: cwc

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use the correct paint stripper, it’s not that bad, still dirty and messy though.
need a good polyurethane stripper And a few applications.
your truck based on pics is more an exception to the rule.
looks like an ops group truck from NTC....those trucks were beat.
ive had many of them...

cg25713

Fortunately all of this friendly debate will be settled when I actually get the truck. I completed the sale and submitted my EUC application. Just waiting for my release and we will all find out about the engine and more hopefully sooner rather than later. I will keep you all posted. And Gear Report yes that is the truck. I didn't see any signs of it being submerged and if it was known to have been submerged, it would have to be sold with a Salvage SF97. Plus there is cigarette pack under the hood and doesn't look wet. Ha Ha.

Last edited:

cg25713

Also Gear Report - I'm obviously no expert but doesn't the truck you just bought look like it either had a large engine fire or was set on fire at some point? The whole front end is well done and charred. I think I might prove you wrong with mine.

cg25713

Greetings. I have an update on our discussion above. As you may recall I purchased a non-starting 2006 M1152A1 with roughly 200 miles on it at the end of June. There was no air intake snorkel and no a/c compressor. My EUC was approved on 8/18. Soon after I had the truck picked up and gone over by a Georgia based shop. After a thorough cleaning and inspection of the engine and adding new fluids - IT STARTED!!!

A new A/C compressor and air intake are being installed and the windshields have been replaced. Based on the friendly debate above I thought this information would be useful to all.

I hope to get the truck in a couple of weeks and plan to convert it to a 4 door/4 seater. Any advice or input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So glad I was wrong and we have learned something new about turbocharged trucks and rain.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also Gear Report - I'm obviously no expert but doesn't the truck you just bought look like it either had a large engine fire or was set on fire at some point? The whole front end is well done and charred. I think I might prove you wrong with mine.
The Gear Report truck did not have a fire, but was covered in mildew. Pressure washer and some cleaner and its glistening lol. But water issues do seem prevalent out of the Albany GA location. Ive been told it runs fantastic now after some trans work.

rjf189

Well do it. Start a new thread.
I'm tempted.

Edit: On second thought, I'd rather just hope for the best and deal with what arrives than be bombarded with all of the things that could possibly be wrong with it. You guys are awesome though. I've learned a ton on this forum already.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks