• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newby considering M1009 for hunting truck....need info

SFC B

Hello to all,
SFC B here is stationed at Carson and a brand-newbie to private M1008/9 ownership. Drove them quite a lot when I first enlisted and always thought them useful. Recently a guy in my unit bought a 1009 from the GovLiq auction and brought it back from Sparta. WI. I am interested in pursuing one and getting it ready to take to the mountains as a hunting truck. The only mods I could think about would be getting some extra ground clearance as the jeep trail we take to camp is pretty rutted. All suggestions are welcome as far as price ballparks, best places to start looking and the most cost effective way to get that extra GC. Thanks for any and all assistance.

SFC B

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. And thank you for your service.

The M1009 is just a basic 1984 Chevy K5. Nothing really special about it except for a few unique items like the bumpers and the 12v/24v wiring.

These trucks are 30+ years old. What are your mechanical skills? While being a mechanic is not required, you WILL learn to be your own mechanic as most mechanics won't touch something that old. And many will not understand the wiring. I have seen many "mechanics" butcher the wiring to try to make it work the way they think it should.

Parts trucks have been running ~$1500 and great runners seem to bring around $4000. A mid-price is usually around $2500, but at that price they will have rust.

www.coloradoK5.com is a great place to learn about modifications to the K5.

Last edited:

SFC B

WH, thanks a for the start. I am no real wrench turner (more of a wood guy) but am fairly mech inclined and don't shirk the work. Rust doesn't bother me (as long as it is not a structural issue) as this will be a hunting truck foremeost and being "pretty" won't last long where we go :) I will give that site a peep ASAP!!

lostintexas

That is what I bought my 1009 for and so far there have been a few issues here and there. This past season it got me through with the exception of a busted u joint while teaching my daughter to drive but shortly after season it's been one thing after another. Be patient, read everything you can, ask questions to what you don't understand or can't find. I'm by no means a mechanic and I let a shop do everything except the most basic things. Even using a shop with a good reputation they've still made mistakes dealing with the CUCV. I had to come on here and search and after that I wan't sure if I understood correctly what had happened. With Warthogs help and a good article on alternators and the CUCV wiring I was able to explain to the shop what they had done to cause the alternator to quit charging.

Short answer is they are a great platform with tons of information available for parts are easy to come by (either military or civvy). The possibilities are endless. Stick around here and read everything you can and you will ready when the problems come up. Watch the classifieds and you may find a good deal on one with most of the issues already resolved too.

Another Ahab

No input, but only because I don't know the vehicle, but subscribed to learn more. Always good to know Green.

And want to say "Hey" from out here on the Eastern side of things. Welcome from Virginia.

Last edited:

Skinny

Do you need a Blazer can or will a pickup suffice? Only reason I ask is the M1009 is geared very tall and is 1/2 ton rated running gear which is not large tire friendly. The pickup variants are already geared low and will laugh at anything 40" and smaller for tires.

If you decide to get a Blazer I would say Warthog's price range is spot on. Seems like every end of the world bug moron thinks their M1009 is worth $6k plus on fleabay. Maybe if they are mint turn key rigs but they never seem to be. The pickups are barely worth that but they sit on a pair of axles worth $1500 to $3000 depending on where you live.

MarcusOReallyus

Hello from Virginia!

How's Ft. Cartoon doing these says, Sarge? I was stationed there in the mid 70s.

As for the M1009, do a bunch of reading here before you decide. There's a ton of info, and all the TMs are free to download.

:beer:

SFC B

Skinny, I am open to the pickup variants as well. I think that if I can get 36"-ers on there I would be G2G. The blazer would only give the obvious passenger + up but the off road business is the most important. MOR, Carson is great. Having 4th ID here is a pain but since I don't play with them I am good. Absolutely love living out here.

I also purchased my m1009 as a hunting vehicle. I guess one question would be, what kind of hunting did you intend?

I chose the 09 because I wanted to secure my dogs in the vehicle without a dog box, and have the ability to sleep in the blazer on an overnight trip.

One mod that I was interested in right away was a roof rack for the spare. This created much more usable space in back.
Interior rhino lined (Al's liner) for easy cleanup. Deer blood and bird blood wash right out with a hose.
I put larger tires on the stock rims and would only consider a small lift appropriate. Plenty of clearance with just some 33's.

One of my next projects is creating scabbards in the wells next to the rear seat. I prefer to keep my firearms somewhat more inconspicuous, and cleaner than the stock rack will allow.

I imagine that if you hunt elk, you might lean toward the 08. For cargo space reasons. But down here in Cali., pretty much everything that I hunt fits in the back just fine.

SFC B

I also purchased my m1009 as a hunting vehicle. I guess one question would be, what kind of hunting did you intend?

I chose the 09 because I wanted to secure my dogs in the vehicle without a dog box, and have the ability to sleep in the blazer on an overnight trip.

One mod that I was interested in right away was a roof rack for the spare. This created much more usable space in back.
Interior rhino lined (Al's liner) for easy cleanup. Deer blood and bird blood wash right out with a hose.
I put larger tires on the stock rims and would only consider a small lift appropriate. Plenty of clearance with just some 33's.

One of my next projects is creating scabbards in the wells next to the rear seat. I prefer to keep my firearms somewhat more inconspicuous, and cleaner than the stock rack will allow.

I imagine that if you hunt elk, you might lean toward the 08. For cargo space reasons. But down here in Cali., pretty much everything that I hunt fits in the back just fine.
I hunt elk, deer (M& WT), prongy's and whatever else comes up. My main concern is getting into and our of elk camp though. Between the snow possibility and resulting mucky ruts make it pretty rough getting up to our camp (which is +-9200 ft at the edge of a wilderness). Last couple of years we have been taking my buddy's dad's F150 with a trailer and we almost didn't get out this past year. With a 1008 I would put a rack system on the back in order to do layered loading and get away from using a trailer. If we get more than one elk we need the space.

Another Ahab

I hunt elk, deer (M& WT), prongy's and whatever else comes up. My main concern is getting into and our of elk camp though. Between the snow possibility and resulting mucky ruts make it pretty rough getting up to our camp (which is +-9200 ft at the edge of a wilderness). Last couple of years we have been taking my buddy's dad's F150 with a trailer and we almost didn't get out this past year. With a 1008 I would put a rack system on the back in order to do layered loading and get away from using a trailer. If we get more than one elk we need the space.
What does a good size elk dress-out at?

400-500 lbs of meat?

SFC B

A really big bull might get you 3-350. Our last two bulls netted us about 225 a piece in meat (all boned and processed). By comparison my last WT in IN dressed at 165 and got me about 70 from the processor. We hunt wilderness, so unless a elk gets stupid and walks through camp we generally have to pack quarters, head and other meat about 2 miles one way. One elk is about 4 full pack frames on a sturdy dude.

Skinny

If you are going way out I would consider the M1008 variants based on the running gear. Highly unlikely but if you bust a shaft, you could still limp out in 3 wheel drive. Better rear locker an lower years, this is a no brainer.

Not or that an M1009 is a bad rig but I persoanally don't like driving far out of civilization without something fairly stout and a good radio. Another alternative would be a better rear diff than the gov lok and a spare set of shafts. Winch should be on the list too.

mactiredearg

Welcome from an in-stater and thank you for your service.

Unfortunately the vehicle pickings at Ft Carson are slim to none. so if you want to go the GL route you will almost definitely be forced to recover from out of state like your buddy was.

Best of luck and I'm jealous. More of the Elk hunt than the truck choice, I really like my deuces...

A really big bull might get you 3-350. Our last two bulls netted us about 225 a piece in meat (all boned and processed). By comparison my last WT in IN dressed at 165 and got me about 70 from the processor. We hunt wilderness, so unless a elk gets stupid and walks through camp we generally have to pack quarters, head and other meat about 2 miles one way. One elk is about 4 full pack frames on a sturdy dude.
You obviously don't process your own meat. No offense, but I've taken a lot of elk and I can get over 300 from a decent cow any day. Either way, the CUCV plays no part in my hunting besides getting me to the trailhead. I've never taken an elk less than 5 miles and 2k vert of hiking on an easy one. Most are about 7 miles and 3k. I can get it out it two trips, but I bone out in the field, and do everything myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks