• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newby with the fever

Whitfield

Bought my first MV today :beer: Can't wait to get it home.

Good:
Runs and drives
LOCAL Private sale
11K miles
Best of the litter / least rust (owner was keeping this one for himself)
Fresh Drive shaft
NEW Shocks @ all 4 corners
Clean interior with sound deadening.
Shackles @ all 4 lift points
SPARE parts (Alt X2 / F Bumper / Grill / Grill guard / wiper motor)

Bad:
Fork lift dents (Door & bed)
Dash cluster is unscrewed and hanging out
No lights
No Brake lights
Glow plugs not working
Lots of wires hanging down under the dash
Fresh blower relay installed for 24v switch under dash (I think I need to upgrade)
Had to cut the left parking brake cable.

Not sure of the standard for pics here, I wanted to post full size but would not work. I hope this is ok.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tlauden

Welcome!!!!!! Looks like you got a clean truck there!!!!!

As for the pics, they like you to upload them as attachments like you did, if you link to a pic using the regular forum method the link seems to go dead eventually

Whitfield

I'm torn ~ I don't think there is a straight panel on it. First I'm going to clean up the electrical / mechanicals and learn the truck.

I am leaning heavily toward the ORD shackle flip + ??? up front and 33-35. I'm coastal / tidal = flatland but I don't want to kill the towing ability. I've been towing with a 97 GMC Yukon 5.7L Gas / 10K Hurst Equipment trailer. While comfortable the suspension bottoms out with just the trailer attached.

Last edited:

Crewdawg141

I'm torn ~ I don't think there is a straight panel on it. First I'm going to clean up the electrical / mechanicals and learn the truck.

I am leaning heavily toward the ORD shackle flip + ??? up front and 33-35. I'm coastal / tidal = flatland but I don't want to kill the towing ability. I've been towing with a 97 GMC Yukon 5.7L Gas / 10K Hurst Equipment trailer. While comfortable the suspension bottoms out with just the trailer attached.

Bag the Yukon to keep the tail up and have fun with the CUCV! Just my thought :)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a new driveshaft because the old one had the GL genie visit it.

Great project truck. At least with the dents you don't have to worry about parking lot dings.

Make sure you upgrade that shinny new starter relay with the doghead relay. Don't want you burning down you new toy.

Last edited:

Whitfield

Can't help but lust after all the clean trucks up on Goodyear 37" Radials's.

10-4 on replacing the shiny 30amp heater relay. Smoking the starter would suck.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I ran across a CUCV quick reference tech manual the other day.

Looking to print and bind it for my trip home tomorrow but search is turning up empty.

There is a start of one in the CUCV FAQ sticky. Page 7 or post #61, 62 and 70

Last edited:

combatmech

Nice low mileage score!! Like Warthog suggested, the CUCV sticky page has a ton of information.
Also, the TM's and the search feature here on Steel Soldiers can help with just about any problem or question.
Welcome to the OD Green addiction support network. :beer:

Whitfield

GOt it home today. Unfortunately the batteries were / are weak Almost had to winch it on the trailer. Once it fired up the first time it was good to go.

1986 K20 w/350 4-spd pulled it like a champ ~ Even with the 4" lift and 285's. Stopping was great to since the 10k has brakes on both axles. Trip was 30 miles out and we kept our speed to 55 or less which was not to bad on I-295 around Richmond @ 11am.

Had just enough time before work to give it a bath /clean the windows and put the batteries on charge.

Attachments

Whitfield

In the rush to get it out of the way and loaded up I may have killed the GP controller.

Tested the pink blk and got ground, tested the Lt. Blue and got ground (Key Was off). Then I mistakenly put hot to the lt. blue and heard a PoP inside the cab. :oops:

Will learn what damage i cause tomorrow when i dig thru the glow plug harness and pin out / test the GP system.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the green iron disease.

You got a great score. Hopefully the price wasn't too high.

I flat love your tow rig. I have a soft spot for this era of trucks.

Keep us updated. WE LOVE PIX

Whitfield

Thanks! He sold his Diesel 97 4-wd F-350 Crew cab on 35's last December to step back into simpler times. We dug until we found the clean / stock unmolested K-20 Scottsdale. THis one was a contract landscape truck but you couldn't tell if it had 30K or 130K. He has worked hard since March to bring it to what you see here. The good thing is wtih his excitment he is chomping at the bit to use his truck any time I'm paying fuel.

Whitfield

Think I'm gonna pull the Dash + cluster and dive in ~ way to many electrical things that are not right. Looks like Frankenstorm is gonna kill most driveway work this weekend (Misting rain now).

On the positive it does look like the batteries took charge.

Last edited:

Whitfield

Today's behind the Dash finds:

4-wheel drive and oil pressure (Red lens filter) are MIA
Wait to start / Water in fuel lights are MIA
Shift indicator switch is on the floor and crushed
Headlight switch was unplugged
Volt meter is unplugged and there are a few stripped wire loose behind it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks