• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newport News VA. 17/18 Sep Show

jhooah

Just a heads up, refocusing on this event unlike the past year where there were some competing area events.

The VWM MILITARY VEHICLE AND MILITARIA SHOW, Sept 17/18th - 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Sat, 10:00-4:00 PM Sun, Virginia War Museum at Huntington Park, 9285 Warwick Blvd. in Newport News, VA. (Next to James River Bridge) Rare and historic Military Vehicles & Militaria dealers will be selling, trading & buying all variety of military collectibles ranging from uniforms, insignia, firearms, field gear, ammo, parts to weapons - all countries & eras from the Civil War to Desert Storm! Admission: FREE! :beer:

V/R W Winget
Virginia Military Preservation Association
www.VMPA.us

Looking forward to a great show this year. Favorite memory of last years show was on the second day, and had a lady who drove a deuce for the forestry department of a northeastern state (can't remember which one) come up and start telling stories. I told her to climb on in, and I could tell by the way she jumped in she'd been a deuce before.

jhooah

Hope we spread the word a little more about this, I'm working hard with Glenn B. to get the M543 Wrecker moving, but need front right bearings to get her rolling. Darn thing would hit 30MPH then when entering 4th start slowing down... Turns out there were no inner front bearings on that side. I had changed the other side bearings last year but only spun-checked the right side (and ran out of money...) so at over a $100+ per axle in bearings and seals I will wait on overhauling the rear axles till after the show. I hope to bring Tripod (M151 with only three axles currently) up to the show to lift it into Carl's M series for transportation home.
V/R W. Winget

jhooah

There is a registration with the intent for planning only. If you were a vendor or such (all inside this year) there would be a fee, etc. The registration was just so we could figure out how much space should be allotted for various areas in the field out front. Figuring on breaking it down by War, i.e. WWI/WWII/Korea/Vietnam/DS, etc.
So even if you 'don't' register, feel free to drive up with a vehicle and participate. The goal is to get together, and hopefully educate the public and stimulate childrens interest, not be overly burecratic about it.
V/R W Winget
'68 M543A2 Wrecker shoud be up and running for it
'70 M35A2 Desert Tan
'42 GPW
'42 Command Car
'77 TOW Missile Jeep

www.VMPA.US

jhooah

Haven't heard from him. "Miss Virgin ia" should be up and running if the outer bearing arrives and this cures the speed issue. I will lift Tripod up and put her in the Deuce to haul it over there then we can transfer it at the show with "Miss Virgin ia"
GPW is ready to get shot, after re-installing the soldered fuel tank it leaks again...after installing the starter it grinds...after rebuilding the carb it fails to start... I'm considering getting out the .45...
W. Winget

It was wet and slightly chilly today, but there were some nice vehicles at the Virginia War Museum show. Hopefully the weather will cooperate, and tomorrow's turnout will be better. Tomorrow's show runs from 1000 to 1600.

Attachments

peecook

Kevin, great video. Stopped by for a little bit yesterday, sorry I missed Karl's new toy acquisition. Hope the weather is better today.

rednckii

Stopped by for a minte earlier today was a decent little show had a few nice trucks made me even more jealous. Was gonna stay longer and get to know other members but started sprnklin and the wife said it was time to get the little one out. Needless to say they are warm and im still wanting to go back up oh well. Definatly gonna mark this day for next year.