• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

next power mod

Parker2

I think a Flex fan is good idea.
I was going to put a Flex fan on my Dodge 3500, but went with electric instead. It's one of the best mods that I have done to my truck. I am thinking of doing it to my Deuce. I used two Lincoln Mark VIII fans on the Dodge and it's around 500 hp. So I think two on the Duece should work just fine. Or maybe just one. One lincoln fan moves around 4500 to 5000 cfm. Anyone know what the stock Deuce fan moves?

Last edited:

tm america

ya eletric is best for freeing up power but they dont hold up well to being under water or i would have went electric to. i think they use the stock deuce fan as a rutter blade on the huey helicopter:-D

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running around with no payload, does anyone know at what ambient temperature you might need a fan for cooling?

I am considering just removing mine.

My truck now stays below 180 all the time, typically 160 to 170, so I am not sure the thermostat is even opening. Temperature measured with new Stewart Warner mechanical guage and verified with digital IR thermometer.

tjcouch

Is there a deuce drag racing circuit of which I am unaware?

Good luck to you . . . . but I'll continue to lope along. :-D

When I wanna be zippy I take the Mazda MX5.

SasquatchSanta

A couple of years ago I made a detailed post on an electric fan I installed on my deuce. It was on the old SS site --- I have it book marked under the following link/url but it no longer works.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....opic&t=5873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

If anyone knows how to access this thread I'd appreciate a heads up as I'd like to access it.

From what I remember the stock deuce fan pulls 13 horsepower.

I replaced it with a 16" high capacity 24V pusher fan. It made a marked difference in the performance of the truck and made the cab a lot quieter. Most importantly, my defrosters now work.

I tried running without a fan but even in Minnesota winter weather I couldn't get away with it. It's allright ideling but if you get caught in slow and go traffic, like in a Christmas parade you'll have heating problems.

I installed my fan and eliminated the water pump fan so the engine could warm up sufficiently in the winter to allow the defrosters to work so I could get out on the road. It was also installed to stop wet-stacking.

Now that I have installed the LDS engine I re-install the water pump fan and deactivate the electric fan in the summer and referse the process in the fall of the year. The LDS engine requires more cooling capacity.

I'm still experimenting with turning down the main and droop fuel settings so I can't tell what the electric fan saves in fuel.

PS: It is not my desire to discriminate against anyone. Therefore, if you are capitalization and punctuation challenged this version is for you: (I hope no one will be offended if there isn't enough spelling errors to have to wade through in this post)

a couple of years ago I made a detailed post on an electric fan I installed on my deuce.it was on the old SS site I have it book marked under the following link/url but it no longer works http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20 if anyone knows how to access this thread I'd appreciate a heads up as I'd like to access it.from what I remember the stock deuce fan pulls 13 horsepower. i replaced it with a 16" high capacity 24V pusher fan.It made a marked difference in the performance of the truck and made the cab a lot quieter. Most importantly, my defrosters now work.I tried running without a fan but even in Minnesota winter weather I couldn't get away with it.it's allright ideling but if you get caught in slow and go traffic, like in the Christmas parade you'll have heating problems.i installed my fan and eliminated the water pump fan so the engine could warm up sufficiently in the winter to allow the defrosters to work so I could get out on the road.it was also installed to stop wet-stacking. now that I have installed the LDS engine I re-install the water pump fan and deactivate the electric fan in the summer and referse the process in the fall of the year.the LDS engine requires more cooling capacity. i'm still experimenting with turning down the main and droop fuel settings so I can't tell what the electric fan saves in fuel.

Last edited:

tm america

still working on it ended up getting the wrong spacer i picked up the right one today just have to bore out the pilot hole so hopefully i willl have it on this weekend. i will definately have it on before haspin cuz i want to compare the mpg and see how much better it pulls the expandable .i just towed it on the same roads three weeks ago so it should be a good real world comparison.

bgekky3

I will get a timeslip with the deuce, if they will let me, the next time I am at the track. I think the 1st to 2nd shift will lose a lot of time, but not much MPH. I may try to start in 2nd. I guess I can lose some clutch life for the best recorded ET in a deuce. Only time will tell. I do like the info on the fan. If I can cut the fan noise to go with the muffler and the insulated cab, the wife might want to ride in it more often.

mightymanx

I am digging this tread up to see how it turned out.

I am also interested in the flexalite fans because I can't move the rad FWD (I am trying to stuff an intercooler there). and I dont want to futz around with building a totaly new grill that is pushed out 3 inches.

I am hoping to find out if this idea was a "pig in a poke" or a "eureka".

Thanks in advance.

Autocar

I used to be a design engineer for Fabco Div of Kelsey-Hayes. We manufactured heavy duty all wheel drive off road trucks. One of my projects was to improve the cooling systems and I headed down the same road with the Flex fan. BAD MOVE! What you forget is that flex fans work great on cars because they rarely run at max horsepower and when they do, they are flying down the road, so fan generated air flow is not needed. The flex fan flattens out at high rpm and and doesn't pump air.

Heavy duty trucks often run at max horsepower at high rpm with low vehicle speed(i.e. climbing around in lower gears) so maximum fan generated air flow is needed. Since flex fans flatten out at high rpms and stop pumping air, you have an instant overheat on your hands. It took us less than one day of off road testing to see this whole thing was not going to work.

Electric fans are a different story. They shut off when you don't need them and come on with full flow when they are needed. They are much better if you can get a big enough fan and have enough electricity to run them. The bigger fans need more than 25 amps.

mightymanx

I don't have a overheat problem i have an underheat problem 180* with a rad block in 60*weather so i can use the extra hp and possibly keep heat in the engine without pulling the fan entirely. i would love a fan clutck but it won't fit.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

stokjeep

How about a hydraulically driven cooling fan ?

SOME Spartan Chassis Motorhomes with side mounted radiators use a hydraulically driven fan.

If once were to use the 5-ton PS pump for a steering upgrade, perhaps the unused potential of the pump could also drive the fan .... which, with the right valve controls, could also allow the fan to be shut off when not needed.

--

a thought for radiator / intercoolers etc - Spartan Fire Truck Chassis from 2004 thru 2009 use stacked cooling components - ie rather than putting one in front of another, they are thinker and far shorter, and are stacked on top of each other.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks