• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nice M1008, great place to start

isaacucv

After reading some of the horror stories about trucks from GL, I was a bit nervous. I won my auction in early Feb, sight unseen, and the shipper delivered it on on 3/13. EUC took 15 days (first one)! All the pics on GL looked good including a new drivers side door. Upon delivery I could see minor forklift damage on the passenger door and a small dent in the drive shaft. The drivers door, however was destroyed. The truck driver said a tractor trailer must have backed into it overnight. After a bit of discussion we agreed on a price to cover damages, put new batteries in, checked the oil and fired it right up. Awesome! It runs great, and starts first time. I have done the starter relay already. Replaced the door(with a blue one). The glow plug relay was the new can style already. The CDR valve is shiney and new. I have new AC60G's to install. I have done the body work and filled in the holes in the box from the antenna brackets. Complete oil service and air filter. There are no leaks or puddles under it, everything works. It has 36,570 miles on it. There is no rust or rot. The frame is still black, not rusty. I have had a few other chevy trucks of this type and none have ever been this nice. I am one of the lucky 1st time cucv owners I think.

It has troop seats and a cargo cover, and a set of aluminum shelves with a big electrical box, maybe for radios? I will probably sell those items.

Someone stole the D-rings from the back bumper, that makes me mad but they should be easy to replace locally.

I have to go over the front end and test drive it at speed but I am waiting on my title from GL.

I still have to put a lift on and 37in tires, but its coming along nicely. I can't believe how economical this thing will be for me, considering what I paid, insurance, and durability(I work in a rock quarry). Thanks to everyone one this site for all the documentation on these things!

isaacucv

Yea it did happen. Isn't it a shame a new guy can't come to a site and not be thought of as a potential threat. Rest assured I mean no harm, and as an A&P mechanic (on the side these days), and an experienced Chevy truck owner, I may actually have something to offer. I'm not nvrescue!

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the pics it looks like you got one with a pretty nice rust free body. It always amazes me how one of the doors always seems to get backed into or something. Good Luck with it!

isaacucv

Thanks, It would have been the straightest one I have ever owned if the door hadn't been bent. I actually made a few dollars on the deal because I was able to get the door with glass for about half of what the driver gave me. I need to replace the hinges though because the door sags just a bit and won't latch all the way. Thats an easy fix.
Have you ever made it out to Rausch Creek withany of your trucks?

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not yet, my high school age son is going to start driving the M1028a1 to school every day from now on. We have 5 drivers in this household, but not 5 cars, my daily driver other than my work truck has now become the little dump. None of the CUCV duallys are road ready yet but one should be by summer. the 83 K30 dually ex pa dot truck still has the plow on it just in case . . .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pins and bushings should fix the hinges right up and new nylon striker bushings. Looks like a nice truck and welcome to the site.

dstang97

Yea it did happen. Isn't it a shame a new guy can't come to a site and not be thought of as a potential threat. Rest assured I mean no harm, and as an A&P mechanic (on the side these days), and an experienced Chevy truck owner, I may actually have something to offer. I'm not nvrescue!
LOL it was a joke. A lot of people say that just to get pictures. We love pictures. And don't mention nvrescue we don't want him back. You are more than welcome though.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing bad was meant by the comment. It is just that these GUYS are very VISUAL...go figure! You ought to see what the old timers do to each other when THEY don't post pics...Taint a pretty sight!

:cookoo::cookoo:Welcome to SS and OD Madness:cookoo::cookoo:, there is no KNOWN cure!:jumpin:rofl

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Thanks, It would have been the straightest one I have ever owned if the door hadn't been bent. I actually made a few dollars on the deal because I was able to get the door with glass for about half of what the driver gave me. I need to replace the hinges though because the door sags just a bit and won't latch all the way. Thats an easy fix.
Have you ever made it out to Rausch Creek withany of your trucks?
You didn't happen to score a canvas with the cargo bows did you?

Milbikes

I hate rust. Looks and sounds like you got a really good one. What base/ location did it come out of?

isaacucv

Yea I did get a canvas with it. I thought about using it for camping, maybe? Im not sure though because I don't want it on the truck all the time and I don't really want to store it anywhere. And I have a good tent that would fit right between the wheel wells.

isaacucv

"I hate rust. Looks and sounds like you got a really good one. What base/ location did it come out of?"

Im with ya on the rust. This one is from Warner Robins AFB in GA. It even came with a little georgia clay on the floor, which I have removed, so it won't rust there:cool:

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Yea I did get a canvas with it. I thought about using it for camping, maybe? Im not sure though because I don't want it on the truck all the time and I don't really want to store it anywhere. And I have a good tent that would fit right between the wheel wells.
If your looking to get rid of the canvas and bows, I saw a fella on here not long ago looking for them. I'll see if I can find that thread as the canvas and bows are fairly difficult to come across.

isaacucv

ssgtcampbell77, I appreciate you looking for the thread for the canvas and bows. If there is someone that can use them I will get rid of them, I just took them off today and set them by my shed actually.

isaacucv

Cucvnut, I didn't take the plate off of the door yet, but I still have the door. It has clearly been removed once already though because it is glued on. The rivet holes are gone.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Hey man, I can't find that thread. It was in a random thread that had nothing to do with canvases but Im sure if you read enough on here, you'll find the post. It wasnt that long ago.