• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

night vision driving inexpensively to your offroad camp spot... Lanmodo

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Theres lots of different theories on night vision headsets from the 4 pvs 14s on one helmet to 1 pvs 14 on a helmet ive had operators on the teams tell me sometimes they liked just one on 1 eye to be able to not be lite stroked and lose all eyesite briefly to useing in a vehicle application mostly the little dune buggys to just be really careful about driving off in a hole while using just 1 and all of them were using gen 4 pinicle way back when i was interested in them and now its thermal all the way !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, I'm not talking about running in a blackout situation.

But as I said, no one needs to outside of combat, LEO, or criminal operations? If it ain't the Boogaloo, if you ain't LEO, or if you're not running cartel products across the desert than it's a bit nonsensical, IMO. In fact, I dare say dangerous a **** for some numbnuts to slap on a set of NGV (real or Amazon crap) and decide to try and drive around to see how cool it is. *not you Colt, you're trained so it's cool when you do it ;)

And IMO it's excessively pointless to spend several grand on a dependable piece of gear just to drive around in the dark in your LMTV unless you are (see above: insurrectionist, cop, drug runner).

But my 12' display for the cameras is on in my cab anytime the truck is running day or night. It's zero intrusive and has never interfered with my driving at night (on or off road). I can see details on the screen in the dark that are not visible normally. To me, *that* is useful (especially crawling around on a trail or at the beach at night). It's far easier than turning on the spots.
There are a few more reasons you forgot why you need nvgs like its dark out here and BIGFOOT has nite vision and 4 wheel drive and incase its your time to be abducted by ALIENS and their abduction lite is busted youve got your googles to save the day !

Guruman

Not so new member
I have a helmet mounted binocular NVG setup using a couple of pvs-14s and a special bridge mount that aligns them and powers them both. Those things are pretty epic. It blows away anything in the way of a cheap "ir". Walking and moving around is fairly easy. The limited field of view does matter a bit, but I've not fallen over anything in the dark yet. I've spent a fair amount of time playing with them in the warmer months, even practicing driving my UTV around my property with them (stargazing with "real" nvg is amazing). Legality and liability issues aside, if I had to, I don't think driving my lmtv with them would be too hard or dangerous.

Another thing to consider is that anything truly "thermal" cannot see through the glass.

Third From Texas

Let's stick to just the night vision topic, not all these end of the world kind of talks.
Yep, that's my point exactly.

WE ARE NOT IN COMBAT

So there is zero need for combat NVG while driving a 30,000 lb truck in the civilian world.

As far as the NVG topic itself, not sure why it's really in a camper build thread to begin with but...OK.

Third From Texas

You've never seen the headlights on my lmtv then. Man those things are bad.
And if you have a backup camera display in the cab, I bet it sees things that those lights don't make out in detail. I'd say make good use of that before spending several grand on surplus NGV. Plus can you imagine trying to talk your way out of a ticket for driving while wearing NVG? "What's the problem office? "

:)

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a helmet mounted binocular NVG setup using a couple of pvs-14s and a special bridge mount that aligns them and powers them both. Those things are pretty epic. It blows away anything in the way of a cheap "ir". Walking and moving around is fairly easy. The limited field of view does matter a bit, but I've not fallen over anything in the dark yet. I've spent a fair amount of time playing with them in the warmer months, even practicing driving my UTV around my property with them (stargazing with "real" nvg is amazing). Legality and liability issues aside, if I had to, I don't think driving my lmtv with them would be too hard or dangerous.

Another thing to consider is that anything truly "thermal" cannot see through the glass.
How well does your helmet mount setup work through a windshield, wondering if you get a glare with the illuminator inside the cab?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How well does your helmet mount setup work through a windshield, wondering if you get a glare with the illuminator inside the cab?
That was my reasoning for making the ir filter cans so i can point the vehicle at a certain point cut it off and go off some where else and observe that spot with out using my iluminator on my goggles to give my postion away to maybe other goggle users

Guruman

Not so new member
It works well. I hardly ever use the illuminators, which would indeed cause a glare. I'd also want to keep the dash lights off and such as they would be distracting. Just keep them turned off as they are only really useful for up-close stuff.

Iif you're using them at any distance, you are dependent on enough ambient light for them to work, which is basically always available. On moonless nights, the stars make enough light for them to work just fine. On cloudy nights there is enough reflected light from nearby outdoor lighting to make them work. I bought an inexpensive illuminator which is like a spotlight that nobody else can see. Working out to at least a quarter of a mile in conjunction with the nvgs.

I also happen to have a complete MRAP light kit with all of the HID visible and LED IR light bars. It's like 4 light bars and 2 remote spotlights all selectable between visible and IR with switches and joystick remotes all in the cab. I hope to get it installed in my lmtv once it gets warm. I don't see the IR as being all that useful. Like others have said, I'm not going to be driving around on public roads without lights. But it does have a certain coolness factor.

Guruman

Not so new member
We hillbillys take our night time paintball matches real serious ! lol
In my case, we used to live 106 miles from the nearest stoplight in western Montana, where there were things that go bump in the night that might actually eat someone.

I bought the nvg setup after my son came home late one night and we found his Jeep parked on the front sidewalk the next morning. When we asked him about it, he said that there was a huge mountain lion in the driveway when he turned in, and it did not run away at the sight of the Jeep. He wanted to make as few steps as possible to get into the house, so he parked real close.

Bears in the trash, and seeing wolves on the way to the school bus early in the morning were also not out of the ordinary.

Now, I find that I use them pretty often just for fun, and occasionally to see if there are foxes or coyotes after my livestock or pets.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In my case, we used to live 106 miles from the nearest stoplight in western Montana, where there were things that go bump in the night that might actually eat someone.

I bought the nvg setup after my son came home late one night and we found his Jeep parked on the front sidewalk the next morning. When we asked him about it, he said that there was a huge mountain lion in the driveway when he turned in, and it did not run away at the sight of the Jeep. He wanted to make as few steps as possible to get into the house, so he parked real close.

Bears in the trash, and seeing wolves on the way to the school bus early in the morning were also not out of the ordinary.

Now, I find that I use them pretty often just for fun, and occasionally to see if there are foxes or coyotes after my livestock or pets.
With where you live - the critters haven't learned they need to run.
That is incredibly NEAT!!

Unless you happen to be on the Dinner Menu late one night...
Then all bets are off!

Guruman

Not so new member
With where you live - the critters haven't learned they need to run.
That is incredibly NEAT!!

Unless you happen to be on the Dinner Menu late one night...
Then all bets are off!
Not to mention many things that have no interest in eating you, that might just kill you for surprising them in the forest. After seeing several moose one fall in the valley where we lived, I was worried about someone surprising on in the back yard and getting trampled. We had 2 cows and a calf in our garden one morning, thought for sure they were going to kill our dogs.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you folk are getting way to carried away... being able to see better is always a good thing... not talking about warfare. Being able to see better at a reasonable cost is a good thing too.

just watch the damn youtube videos aka be a little be informed about this actual device before you respond please

Man you just cant have anything nice among all these SAVAGES ! i watched the clip just now and that unit is bad ass for sure and alot cheaper than i thought once i started pricing it ! GOOD FIND GEO !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I her ya on munsters out there in montana ! If you really want to get scared stop by FREDS LOUNGE at Missoula MT in the front parking lot of the truckstop ! Me and 2 friends of mine got trapped in there for 2 days one time back in the early 90s liked to not made it out alive ! Them strippers were vicious !!!!

Third From Texas

Oh I totally appreciate the value of NV.

I just think it's somewhat retarded to drive around with the lights out wearing NVG in any civilian vehicle (on or off road).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I suspect there's a story there I'd like to hear. Also, good to know if I ever need to make that call for a backcountry air rescue.
CT state police pulled me over on I-84 at night. The Trooper said the air unit was picking up a big bright glow from the truck. Cause there are 2 eyecon bars facing forward and 2 rearward. I got a ticket for "unauthorized use of lighting on the highway" or some crap. It was a $100 ticket. Or course I just did the online court thing with them. It was dismissed.

Tried telling the Trooper that only NVGs could see the light so I dunno how it affected anyone else driving etc. He just didn't have an answer really. Oh well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks