• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

night vision driving inexpensively to your offroad camp spot... Lanmodo

coachgeo

CT state police pulled me over on I-84 at night. The Trooper said the air unit was picking up a big bright glow from the truck. Cause there are 2 eyecon bars facing forward and 2 rearward. I got a ticket for "unauthorized use of lighting on the highway" or some crap. It was a $100 ticket. Or course I just did the online court thing with them. It was dismissed.

Tried telling the Trooper that only NVGs could see the light so I dunno how it affected anyone else driving etc. He just didn't have an answer really. Oh well.
they may have been looking for a suspect in helicopter. they thermal for that at times. does IR effect thermal?

Glad you posted this. My Ivis tek lights the thermal come on when you power up and actually do not have a way to turn them off... if I understand what I have read correctly. If that is the case I will have to do some re-wire internally and not just have to figure out how to wire up joysticks

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CT state police pulled me over on I-84 at night. The Trooper said the air unit was picking up a big bright glow from the truck. Cause there are 2 eyecon bars facing forward and 2 rearward. I got a ticket for "unauthorized use of lighting on the highway" or some crap. It was a $100 ticket. Or course I just did the online court thing with them. It was dismissed.

Tried telling the Trooper that only NVGs could see the light so I dunno how it affected anyone else driving etc. He just didn't have an answer really. Oh well.

You got out of it but so no fuss but if you would have had to fight it the trooper that saw the infraction wasnt the trooper that signed the ticket saying he wittnesed it without lieing to the judge and they wouldnt take the time to go find the trooper that claimed he saw a glow ! Just like the old days of planes clocking us from the air most state courts had to throw them out unless the pilot signed the ticket so from then on the pilots would sign a couple of books worth for the ground units to hand out !

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You got out of it but so no fuss but if you would have had to fight it the trooper that saw the infraction wasnt the trooper that signed the ticket saying he wittnesed it without lieing to the judge and they wouldnt take the time to go find the trooper that claimed he saw a glow ! Just like the old days of planes clocking us from the air most state courts had to throw them out unless the pilot signed the ticket so from then on the pilots would sign a couple of books worth for the ground units to hand out !
Due to the coof virus. They just had you go online give your story etc and then the prosecutor respond etc the prosecutor just dropped it cause he probably felt it was a waste of time.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Due to the coof virus. They just had you go online give your story etc and then the prosecutor respond etc the prosecutor just dropped it cause he probably felt it was a waste of time.
Back when i was like 6 or 7 me and my dad were in CT going to Maine and they wrote my dad a ticket at the scale for not having white sheets on his bunk mattress ! They said it was the LAW so in case there was an accident they could use the white sheets only ! You just cant make this shit up !

Third From Texas

Or just make sure you're not running your offroad-only lights while on the road.

;)

I have a pair of those Ibis Teks as well. I do recall reading somewhere that by default the IR come on and you have to manually activate the visible spot by default (it's done this way so as to not give away your position when you activate the system). I'll have to look into the IR staying on as I was unaware of that one. I do know that you can reverse the the two light source via a minor change and have the visible light come on by default.

Oddly enough, the (larger) controllers have an IR/HID toggle switch with a guard over it (upper right). I was somewhat puzzled by that given what I had read before...

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

coachgeo

Or just make sure you're not running your offroad-only lights while on the road.

;)

I have a pair of those Ibis Teks as well. I do recall reading somewhere that by default the IR come on and you have to manually activate the visible spot by default (it's done this way so as to not give away your position when you activate the system). I'll have to look into the IR staying on as I was unaware of that one. I do know that you can reverse the the two light source via a minor change and have the visible light come on by default.

Oddly enough, the (larger) controllers have an IR/HID toggle switch with a guard over it (upper right). I was somewhat puzzled by that given what I had read before...

View attachment 858726
do you have the light bar with IR and spot.. or the pan tilt rotating ones ? ..... I have both now. Ive been unable to figure out which controller goes with which type light though. granted at the price the controllers go for.... I likely not be using one. . Ill look for an old thread Ive posted questions in and put a link in here so not to steer this thread off on a tangent though.

Guruman

Not so new member

;)

View attachment 858726
I like that controller. I think I have another style. I wonder if they are interchangeable? Also, this style also has a locking safety switch for the visible setting.

1644671470720.png

that control if from this kit.

1644671544662.png

Third From Texas

I like that controller. I think I have another style. I wonder if they are interchangeable? Also, this style also has a locking safety switch for the visible setting.

View attachment 858752

that control if from this kit.

View attachment 858753
Yeah, Ibis Tek made single, dual, and system controllers.

Those you show there were the later design from Ibis Tek if I'm not mistaken. The searchlights are more of a "GoLight" type housing design there (with a removable shield and I think larger light). I love the look of the controller with it's flat toggles.

I'll eventually be building my own control panel into the shared central dash area. I saw some military search lights with cameras attached (had an image but can't locate) and I want to incorporate a camera into the system for IR display.

Attachments

coachgeo

Those you show there were the later design from Ibis Tek if I'm not mistaken. The searchlights are more of a "GoLight" type housing design there (with a removable shield and I think larger light). I love the look of the controller with it's flat toggles.

I'll eventually be building my own control panel into the shared central dash area. I saw some military search lights with cameras attached (had an image but can't locate) and I want to incorporate a camera into the system for IR display.
pming you on this topic

Guruman

Not so new member

Oh man. I like the camera idea. I might have to hack my remote spotlights for something like that.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I honestly can think of no reason anyone should be cruising around in a truck of this size and weight running dark.

;)
Having given it some thought, I came up with a scenario where it would be useful - you're at a star party campout and need to depart. While other attendees are still observing and still have astrophotography running. Turning on any lights would ruin it.

Granted, it's a very limited use....

Guruman

Not so new member
Having given it some thought, I came up with a scenario where it would be useful - you're at a star party campout and need to depart. While other attendees are still observing and still have astrophotography running. Turning on any lights would ruin it.

Granted, it's a very limited use....
I thought of pulling a campground during late hours. Or sneaking into a pre-dawn hunting area. It'd still be noisy though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks